The Woman Who Died a Lot by Jasper Fforde

The Woman Who Died a Lot (edition 2012)

by Jasper Fforde, Jaya Miceli (Cover designer), Thomas Allen (Cover artist), Phillip Colling-Blackman (Illustrator), Dylan Meconis (Illustrator)1 more, Bill Mudron (Illustrator)

898639,830 (4.04)1 / 99
Member:norabelle414
Title:The Woman Who Died a Lot
Authors:Jasper Fforde (Author)
Other authors:Jaya Miceli (Cover designer), Thomas Allen (Cover artist), Phillip Colling-Blackman (Illustrator), Dylan Meconis (Illustrator), Bill Mudron (Illustrator)
Info:Viking
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:*****
Tags:2010s, alternate history, books about books, bought, fantasy, fiction, hardcover, humor, libraries, science fiction, Thursday Next, time travel, read, read 2012, memory

The Woman Who Died a Lot by Jasper Fforde

Kurt Busiek's Astro City: Confession by Kurt Busiek (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: "The Nearness of You" in Confession & "Jenny" in The Woman Who Died A Lot.
    The Bear Went Over the Mountain: A Novel (Owl Book) by William Kotzwinkle (4leschats)
    4leschats: This book is the closest that I have read to the metafictional aspects of Fforde's work. Kotzwinkle uses a bear to underscore the absurdities within the publishing industry.

English (62)  Swedish (1)  All languages (63)
I took one star off this one because I spent about the first third of the book wondering whether I'd missed something. In fact, I had to refer to my Goodreads archive to discover that yes, I had read the previous volume, albeit like 3 years ago. That absence from the series coupled with the convoluted nature of this Thursday Next plot made for some serious confusion. Normally I quite appreciate it when sequels don't start off with a lot of back fill, and once I remembered that and settled in, I was swept up in the action. Would Swindon be smote by the GSD? Would the mindworm be eradicated (and who exactly was infected anyway)? Would Jack Schitt succeed with his dastardly plan to infiltrate the Dark Reading Matter, the last frontier of the BookWorld? Would Friday fulfill his current destiny and spend his life in prison for murder? So many questions, some of which are answered only in the very last pages. I thought maybe this would be the end of the road for Thursday, but it seems she may continue on, to explore the DRM and reveal its secrets. And I look forward to it! ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
An extraordinary romp! No forays into fiction this time. No time travel. Just day players (synthetic humans) and smitings and librarians. I am amazed that this alternate universe with all its peculiarities makes sense. It holds together with some wild sort of logic. How does Jasper Fforde keep track of the rules? I love these and am happy that this seems to allude to another adventure, next time in the world of Dark Reading Matter with the help of Dodos. ( )
  njcur | Aug 19, 2015 |
I love Jasper Fforde's books! They are an amazing mix of laugh out loud humor and intriguing plot, literary snobbery and science meets science fiction. The Thursday Next books are great, but I'm on the edge of my seat for the next Shades of Grey. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |
This was a very interesting story...with humor and many antics....to me it was a "fun" read! ( )
  Jjean7 | Mar 10, 2015 |
Disappointing entry in the Thursday Next series... ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 21, 2015 |

To all the librarians
that have ever been,
ever will be,
are now,
this book is respectfully dedicated.
Everything comes to an end.
"A drawn elephant has a desire to exist?"

"Certainly. All of existence came into being simply because it wanted to be. The big bang wasn't so much a big bang as a hasty dash toward an opportunity to trade nothingness for somethingness. The main contributory factor to the entire universe was a momentary effect in need of a cause. And in that split second, everything that wanted to have existence -- which is everything -- came racing through in one huge hot mass. They've been trying to sort themselves out ever since."
Budget meetings have never been interesting, ever, despite numerous attempts over the years to try to josh them up a bit. Notable uplifting techniques involved the use of fire-eaters and performing elephants, but they didn't work. The dry proceedings are well known to bring on a form of lethargy that can stay with attendees for the rest of the week, and Budget Therapy was used with great success in the treatment of patients suffering an excess of good-natured perkiness.
"Working in fiction does give one a somewhat tenuous hold on reality, but it's not the hold that's tenuous -- it's the reality: Which reality? Whose reality? Does it matter anyway? And will there be cake?"
"What a beautifully described morning!"
"Do I have to talk to insane people?"

"You're a librarian now. I'm afraid it's mandatory."   Chap. 22

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002502X, Hardcover)

The newest tour de force starring Thursday Next in the New York Times bestselling series

The Bookworld’s leading enforcement officer, Thursday Next, has been forced into a semiretirement following an assassination attempt, returning home to Swindon and her family to recuperate.

But Thursday’s children have problems that demand she become a mother of invention: Friday’s career struggles in the Chronoguard, where he is relegated to a might-have-been; Tuesday’s trouble perfecting the Anti-Smote shield, needed in time to thwart an angry Deity’s promise to wipe Swindon off the face of the earth; and the issue of Thursday’s third child, Jenny, who doesn’t exist except as a confusing and disturbing memory.

With Goliath attempting to replace Thursday at every opportunity with synthetic Thursdays, and a call from the Bookworld to hunt down Pagerunners who have jumped into the Realworld, Thursday’s convalescence is going to be anything but restful as the week ahead promises to be one of the Next family’s oddest.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

The Bookworld's leading enforcement officer, Thursday Next, has been forced into a semiretirement following an assassination attempt, returning home to Swindon and her family to recuperate. But Thursday's children have problems that demand she become a mother of invention: Friday's career struggles in the Chronoguard, where he is relegated to a might-have-been; Tuesday's trouble perfecting the Anti-Smote shield, needed in time to thwart an angry Deity's promise to wipe Swindon off the face of the earth; and the issue of Thursday's third child, Jenny, who doesn't exist except as a confusing and disturbing memory. With Goliath attempting to replace Thursday at every opportunity with synthetic Thursdays, and a call from the Bookworld to hunt down Pagerunners who have jumped into the Realworld, Thursday's convalescence is going to be anything but restful as the week ahead promises to be one of the Next family's oddest.… (more)

411 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,096,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible