The Woman Who Died a Lot by Jasper Fforde

The Woman Who Died a Lot (edition 2012)

by Jasper Fforde (Author), Jaya Miceli (Cover designer), Thomas Allen (Cover artist), Phillip Colling-Blackman (Illustrator), Dylan Meconis (Illustrator)1 more, Bill Mudron (Illustrator)

730None12,818 (4.08)1 / 83
Member:norabelle414
Title:The Woman Who Died a Lot
Authors:Jasper Fforde (Author)
Other authors:Jaya Miceli (Cover designer), Thomas Allen (Cover artist), Phillip Colling-Blackman (Illustrator), Dylan Meconis (Illustrator), Bill Mudron (Illustrator)
Info:Viking
Collections:bookshelves, Your library, Read
Rating:*****
Tags:2010s, alternate history, books about books, bought, fantasy, fiction, hardcover, humor, libraries, science fiction, Thursday Next, time travel, read, read 2012, memory

The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde

Kurt Busiek's Astro City: Confession by Kurt Busiek (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: "The Nearness of You" in Confession & "Jenny" in The Woman Who Died A Lot.
    The Bear Went Over the Mountain: A Novel (Owl Book) by William Kotzwinkle (4leschats)
    4leschats: This book is the closest that I have read to the metafictional aspects of Fforde's work. Kotzwinkle uses a bear to underscore the absurdities within the publishing industry.

English (53)  Swedish (1)  All languages (54)
Synopsis:Thursday is recovering from an assignation attempt, but still has the mind-worm that makes her believe she has a daughter named Jenny. She is now the head of a library and supposedly only tangentially involved with Special Ops. Goliath is attempting to bring the world under domination, as usual.
Review: As usual, you can't be a lazy reader and enjoy Fforde's books. This one was especially good in that many loose ends were tied and the outlook for the Next family future looks, if not bright, at least positive. ( )
  DrLed | Mar 10, 2014 |
I'm a big Thursday Next fan and was pleased to see a new novel in the series. This one takes a while to warm up, though. It took me to nearly half-way through the book to feel that Fforde was on the ball. ( )
  LongSigh | Mar 4, 2014 |
I don't know. I just haven't been enjoying Jasper Fforde's offerings in the Thursday Next series. This installment was better than the previous offering but only just.

I can't put my finger on it. I remember how enthralled I was by The Eyre Affair and the Well of Lost Plots. Perhaps it is the law of diminishing returns applied to book series - at some point, you just aren't going to enjoy the books at the end as much at the books at the beginning. But then I think of J.K. Rowling and Terry Pratchett and realize that may be a bad argument.

I just never cared much about this book. I am sick to death of the trope of "Jenny." The plotline with Aornis grew tiresome after the fifth or sixth mention of how the family was experiencing anomalies in their home. It just... what was good was too short and what was tiresome was terribly long.

But I have to saw that a mediocre book by Fforde is still heads and tails above most books, so perhaps my distaste is all relative. I don't regret reading it but I don't know if I recommend it. ( )
  oddbooks | Dec 28, 2013 |
In which Thursdays die a lot. No, that 's' is not misplaced.

Thursday's not a spring chicken any longer, Goliath is still the big, lurking, bad, God is smiting things, and.... and as always, the plot is convoluted to an extreme degree. I always feel like I should go back and read the preceding books prior to a new release, but despite being more than vague on a few details, I persevered and finished the book. Yay, me. Sigh. ( )
  SunnySD | Dec 18, 2013 |
Another fun entry for Thursday Next. This one takes place totally in the "real" world, much like the last one took place in the book world. I'm finding that I prefer the books that travel back and forth between the two. I like getting both the political and the literary satire. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |

To all the librarians
that have ever been,
ever will be,
are now,
this book is respectfully dedicated.
Everything comes to an end.
"A drawn elephant has a desire to exist?"

"Certainly. All of existence came into being simply because it wanted to be. The big bang wasn't so much a big bang as a hasty dash toward an opportunity to trade nothingness for somethingness. The main contributory factor to the entire universe was a momentary effect in need of a cause. And in that split second, everything that wanted to have existence -- which is everything -- came racing through in one huge hot mass. They've been trying to sort themselves out ever since."
Budget meetings have never been interesting, ever, despite numerous attempts over the years to try to josh them up a bit. Notable uplifting techniques involved the use of fire-eaters and performing elephants, but they didn't work. The dry proceedings are well known to bring on a form of lethargy that can stay with attendees for the rest of the week, and Budget Therapy was used with great success in the treatment of patients suffering an excess of good-natured perkiness.
"Working in fiction does give one a somewhat tenuous hold on reality, but it's not the hold that's tenuous -- it's the reality: Which reality? Whose reality? Does it matter anyway? And will there be cake?"
"What a beautifully described morning!"
"Do I have to talk to insane people?"

"You're a librarian now. I'm afraid it's mandatory."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002502X, Hardcover)

The newest tour de force starring Thursday Next in the New York Times bestselling series

The Bookworld’s leading enforcement officer, Thursday Next, has been forced into a semiretirement following an assassination attempt, returning home to Swindon and her family to recuperate.

But Thursday’s children have problems that demand she become a mother of invention: Friday’s career struggles in the Chronoguard, where he is relegated to a might-have-been; Tuesday’s trouble perfecting the Anti-Smote shield, needed in time to thwart an angry Deity’s promise to wipe Swindon off the face of the earth; and the issue of Thursday’s third child, Jenny, who doesn’t exist except as a confusing and disturbing memory.

With Goliath attempting to replace Thursday at every opportunity with synthetic Thursdays, and a call from the Bookworld to hunt down Pagerunners who have jumped into the Realworld, Thursday’s convalescence is going to be anything but restful as the week ahead promises to be one of the Next family’s oddest.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:50 -0400)

The Bookworld's leading enforcement officer, Thursday Next, has been forced into a semiretirement following an assassination attempt, returning home to Swindon and her family to recuperate. But Thursday's children have problems that demand she become a mother of invention: Friday's career struggles in the Chronoguard, where he is relegated to a might-have-been; Tuesday's trouble perfecting the Anti-Smote shield, needed in time to thwart an angry Deity's promise to wipe Swindon off the face of the earth; and the issue of Thursday's third child, Jenny, who doesn't exist except as a confusing and disturbing memory. With Goliath attempting to replace Thursday at every opportunity with synthetic Thursdays, and a call from the Bookworld to hunt down Pagerunners who have jumped into the Realworld, Thursday's convalescence is going to be anything but restful as the week ahead promises to be one of the Next family's oddest.… (more)

250 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible