The Woman Who Died A Lot: A Thursday Next…

The Woman Who Died A Lot: A Thursday Next Novel (edition 2012)

by Jasper Fforde

8756210,199 (4.05)1 / 96
Member:karieh
Title:The Woman Who Died A Lot: A Thursday Next Novel
Authors:Jasper Fforde
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 384 pages
Tags:Fiction, 2013

The Woman Who Died a Lot by Jasper Fforde

Kurt Busiek's Astro City: Confession by Kurt Busiek (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: "The Nearness of You" in Confession & "Jenny" in The Woman Who Died A Lot.
    The Bear Went Over the Mountain: A Novel (Owl Book) by William Kotzwinkle (4leschats)
    4leschats: This book is the closest that I have read to the metafictional aspects of Fforde's work. Kotzwinkle uses a bear to underscore the absurdities within the publishing industry.

English (61)  Swedish (1)  All languages (62)
This was a very interesting story...with humor and many antics....to me it was a "fun" read! ( )
  Jjean7 | Mar 10, 2015 |
Disappointing entry in the Thursday Next series... ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 21, 2015 |
Description: The Bookworld’s leading enforcement officer, Thursday Next, has been forced into a semiretirement following an assassination attempt, returning home to Swindon and her family to recuperate.

But Thursday’s children have problems that demand she become a mother of invention: Friday’s career struggles in the Chronoguard, where he is relegated to a might-have-been; Tuesday’s trouble perfecting the Anti-Smote shield, needed in time to thwart an angry Deity’s promise to wipe Swindon off the face of the earth; and the issue of Thursday’s third child, Jenny, who doesn’t exist except as a confusing and disturbing memory.

With Goliath attempting to replace Thursday at every opportunity with synthetic Thursdays, and a call from the Bookworld to hunt down Pagerunners who have jumped into the Realworld, Thursday’s convalescence is going to be anything but restful as the week ahead promises to be one of the Next family’s oddest.

Thoughts: I definitely should have spent some pre-reading time reminding myself what happened in in the last couple of Thursday Next's prior to One of Our Thursday's is Missing given that OOOTIM was almost completely out of the main storyline and I haven't read the others since... 2007, maybe? Once I got myself reacquainted and refreshed, it was off to the races with Thursday and family (but not much of the old crew).

I was very sad that this book was strictly in the Nextian "real world" and not set in Bookworld at all, because I dearly love the Bookworld. Getting past that disappointment (which should prove short lived as the next book Dark Reading Matter promises it's return), this book was a lot more familial than any of the others have been. It was a bit strange for so much of the story to revolve directly around Landon and the kids, but I really enjoyed it, especially the bit I won't spoil but it involves sandwiches and tattoos. ;)

There were several things I could have used some more detail about, but, as I mentioned in my review of The Last Dragonslayer, that is pretty par for the course with Fforde. His books might confuse me a bit and leave me with nagging questions, but they are ALWAYS fun. Can't wait for the next one!

PS: Long live Jenny!

Rating: 3.9

Liked: 4
Plot: 4
Characterization: 3.5
Writing: 4

https://www.librarything.com/topic/142777#3648474 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 15, 2015 |
Jasper Fforde just ffeeds my word-geekiness. Love the characters and plot, too. How many really good writers do we see really work an aging-but-kick-ass middle-aged woman protagonist? ( )
  NatalieSW | Jan 1, 2015 |
One has to suspend reality to get all the references and jokes. It probably also helps if your are familiar with the UK. After the first 50 pages, I was able to get into the story and to just enjoy. The best part for me was the presence of armed and dangerous librarians. Yes! ( )
  mstruck | Aug 12, 2014 |

To all the librarians
that have ever been,
ever will be,
are now,
this book is respectfully dedicated.
Everything comes to an end.
"A drawn elephant has a desire to exist?"

"Certainly. All of existence came into being simply because it wanted to be. The big bang wasn't so much a big bang as a hasty dash toward an opportunity to trade nothingness for somethingness. The main contributory factor to the entire universe was a momentary effect in need of a cause. And in that split second, everything that wanted to have existence -- which is everything -- came racing through in one huge hot mass. They've been trying to sort themselves out ever since."
Budget meetings have never been interesting, ever, despite numerous attempts over the years to try to josh them up a bit. Notable uplifting techniques involved the use of fire-eaters and performing elephants, but they didn't work. The dry proceedings are well known to bring on a form of lethargy that can stay with attendees for the rest of the week, and Budget Therapy was used with great success in the treatment of patients suffering an excess of good-natured perkiness.
"Working in fiction does give one a somewhat tenuous hold on reality, but it's not the hold that's tenuous -- it's the reality: Which reality? Whose reality? Does it matter anyway? And will there be cake?"
"What a beautifully described morning!"
"Do I have to talk to insane people?"

"You're a librarian now. I'm afraid it's mandatory."   Chap. 22

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067002502X, Hardcover)

The newest tour de force starring Thursday Next in the New York Times bestselling series

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:50 -0400)

The Bookworld's leading enforcement officer, Thursday Next, has been forced into a semiretirement following an assassination attempt, returning home to Swindon and her family to recuperate. But Thursday's children have problems that demand she become a mother of invention: Friday's career struggles in the Chronoguard, where he is relegated to a might-have-been; Tuesday's trouble perfecting the Anti-Smote shield, needed in time to thwart an angry Deity's promise to wipe Swindon off the face of the earth; and the issue of Thursday's third child, Jenny, who doesn't exist except as a confusing and disturbing memory. With Goliath attempting to replace Thursday at every opportunity with synthetic Thursdays, and a call from the Bookworld to hunt down Pagerunners who have jumped into the Realworld, Thursday's convalescence is going to be anything but restful as the week ahead promises to be one of the Next family's oddest.… (more)

250 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,570,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible