Clockwork Angels: The Novel by Kevin J.…

Clockwork Angels: The Novel (edition 2012)

by Kevin J. Anderson, Neil Peart

Other authors:Neil Peart
Info:ECW Press (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:***

Clockwork Angels by Kevin J. Anderson

First off, I have to say, the hardcover version of this book is a beautiful book. The jacket is excellent, the cover, binding and paper are good quality, each new chapter page is in a parchment style and there are appropriate interior illustrations. If you aren't familiar with it, this is the novelization of the Rush album Clockwork Angels. It faithfully turns the story that's told in the songs from the album into a novel. Even if you aren't a fan of the steampunk genre, this is appropriate for fans of fantasy. It was a fun and interesting read with little bits of Rush-dom thrown in for Rush fans, though if you aren't a fan they won't bother you. Really well done. ( )
  Karlstar | Mar 30, 2014 |
Out of context, this might seem to be a somewhat by-the-numbers steampunk quest novel. With a little (or a lot) of knowledge of the album which inspired it, it takes flight as part illustration, part explanation. I liked it a lot, but I'm a Rush fan. Mileage will undoubtedly vary for non-fans, but I still recommend it; in fact, I'd be interested to hear what people who haven't heard the music think of it. ( )
  Watty | Nov 14, 2013 |
In a world where order is precisely controlled by the Watchmaker, Owen Hardy, an apple farmer, yearns for adventure and to visit Crown City and to cast his eyes upon the famed Clockwork Angels. But nobody leaves their village. It's not allowed. He takes a chance in sneaking out of his house just before midnight to meet his girlfriend, who doesn't show up and unwittingly embarks on an adventurous journey beyond his wildest dreams when he impetuously leaps aboard a Steamliner.

Life, as he knew it, crumbles as he engages with pirates, encounters and falls in love with a carnival artist named Francesca, knows not what to make of makeshift island, is awed by Chronos City and meets with a host of complex characters. The ever changing landscape, exciting machines and people are described in such colorful detail as seen through Owen's eyes that we share in his awe, his excitement, his fear, his sorrow and his joy.

As the Watchmaker exerts control over most of the population, providing them with a safe and orderly world, so does the Anarchist introduce chaos in an attempt to disrupt order, and Owen experiences the struggle of one against the other, and the importance of balance.

This steampunk book is beautifully illustrated and I chanced upon it, not realizing that it was based on the lyrics of songs by the band Rush. I think the story does well standing on its own for those unfamiliar with the band and their songs. I understand that the experience is enhanced if one listens to the band before, during or after reading the book. I may have to download some of their songs and re-read this. ( )
2 vote cameling | Jul 31, 2013 |
The story here is a pretty classic coming of age story and everyone reading it will find something that mirrors their own experiences growing up in the world. The loss of our created illusions is clearly exposed by Owen Hardy's journey across his steampunk world, one world of many worlds. And the battle between anarchy and order should be familiar enough to everyone; a clear unmasking of the dangers that come from extreme ideologies. But though the concepts are not new, the way the story is told has a more modern feel.

The book is the companion novel to the current RUSH album of the same title, the first concept album the band has done since Hemispheres (Release in 1978). It's a fantastic idea, having a novel that tells the more intricate details of the story initially unveiled in the music. It almost has me pining for Kevin J. Anderson and Neil Peart to go back and write the novel for 2112.

The artwork throughout the book is also a big plus for the story; Hugh Syme does a damn fine job capturing the feel of this world. Clearly the collaboration of the writer, the musician, and the artist is capably of producing a stunning work; it all comes together perfectly.

P.S. I've been a huge RUSH fan since I was 12, so I may be a bit biased. ( )
2 vote speljamr | Sep 29, 2012 |

Kevin J. Andersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peart, Nealsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A remarkable collaboration that is unprecedented in its scope and realization, this exquisitely wrought novel represents an artistic project between the bestselling science fiction author Kevin J. Anderson and the multiplatinum rock band Rush. The newest album by Rush, Clockwork Angels, sets forth a story in Neil Peart’s lyrics that has been expanded by him and Anderson into this epic novel. In a young man’s quest to follow his dreams, he is caught between the grandiose forces of order and chaos. He travels across a lavish and colorful world of steampunk and alchemy with lost cities, pirates, anarchists, exotic carnivals, and a rigid Watchmaker who imposes precision on every aspect of daily life. The mind-bending story is complemented with rich paintings by the five-time Juno Award winner for Best Album Design, Hugh Syme.

A novel based on the album "Clockwork Angels" by the rock band Rush follows a young man on a quest through a world of lost cities, pirates, anarchists, and a Watchmaker who imposes precision on all aspects of daily life.

16 wanted3 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,464,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible