The Dirty Streets of Heaven: Volume One of…

The Dirty Streets of Heaven: Volume One of Bobby Dollar

by Tad Williams

Series: Bobby Dollar (1)

A Kiss Before the Apocalypse by Thomas E. Sniegoski (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another urban fantasy about angels. Remy has given up being an angel to live on Earth as human but when the Angel of Death goes missing his former colleagues come to him for help.
    Ghost Story by Jim Butcher (al.vick)
    al.vick: or the whole Dresden series.
    Already Dead by Charlie Huston (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Noir and gritty in a similar tone, Even though it's a series about a vampire instead of an angel I think readers who enjoy one would enjoy the other.
    Sandman Slim: A Novel by Richard Kadrey (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Freshly escaped from Hell, a living soul who should never have been there in the first place, looks for those who put him there. A little darker but a similar feel and probably would appeal to the same audience.
    Agents Of Light And Darkness by Simon R. Green (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A book set in the Nightside, the secret, magical heart of London, and a search for something called the Unholy Grail with angels who are scarier than many of the monsters that inhabit P.I. John Taylor's strange and gritty world.
    Defending Angels by Mary Stanton (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A human lawyer and a group of angels work as advocates in the Celestial Court for their dead clients, solving their murders along the way in a lighter, cozy mystery way.
    Blood and Feathers by Lou Morgan (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Good urban fantasy about angels who aren't so angelic

English (34)  German (1)  All languages (35)
In the end it was horribly predictable, sometimes fun urban fantasy with angels and demons and stuff. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Another great book from Tad. Full of suspense, humor and bad assery. I love Tad's work and this book brings all of his skills into play. I ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
This seems really different for TW. The characters were great, I especially loved the demon's Outside appearances. I enjoyed the story, but was bored in a couple of spots... Which actually is normal for me in most TW books. Overall liked it, although I prefer the epic series he writes. Definitely would recommend to Urban Fantasy readers. ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
You don't see that many hard-boiled detective angels and, I for one, think fiction is poorer for it. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Feb 17, 2018 |
This is an example of what I choose to call the “worldly angel” sub-genre of urban fantasy that takes place in our contemporary world and draws on the Christian mythos of Heaven and Hell, demons and angels (fallen or otherwise). In Williams’ version, both Heaven and Hell draw their agents from among the spirits of dead humanity. Thus, the main character Bobby Dollar is an angel who started out as a human – although he’s not permitted to remember his human existence. His role is that of advocate, which means that he argues before the higher-level angels, who are the judges, on behalf of the souls of the recently deceased in an effort to win them entry into Heaven. That’s his job. But when one of these recently-deceased souls simply vanishes, things get interesting.

Fair warning: This is apparently the first book of a trilogy. Its ending resolves the immediate conflicts but leaves significant things dangling. I should also warn that there is some fairly explicit sex. I could have used less detail on that, but it didn’t seem overtly exploitative in the sense that it fit the needs of the story. There is also quite a lot of violence and mayhem. If you like that sort of thing, this is definitely a book for you. I found it a bit excessive, especially since there were human witnesses to a lot of it which meant that a lot of cover-ups would have been needed – an issue that was barely touched on.

While it’s always clear that Bobby is working on the side of right – that he cares about humanity, for example – a lot of his behavior, and his language, is not very angelic. That’s a large part of the fun of this book. There’s a certain amount of dark humor and the thoughts and dialog of the angels are often hilariously irreverent. I cared about the central character and there were lots of other interesting characters, too, and plenty of action. The set-up was novel within the sub-genre, and the story certainly held my interest. I probably won’t read the sequels, partly because of the sex/violence factor, but also because I thought Williams pulled too many things out of a hat at the end of the book. One thing in particular really bothered me: I’ll try not to spoil anything for anyone who wants to read this book, but if an author is going to hide something in a given location and needs the thing to show up chapters and chapters later, he/she should be sure to make it plausible that the location would still exist after everything that happens in between. ( )
  Carol_W | May 18, 2017 |
For me Tad Williams sits right up there with the very best fantasy story-tellers...

Tad Williamsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vojnar, KamilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my good friend, David Charles Michael Pierce.

Dave loved stuff like this and I think he would of liked this book too. I hope someday we'll see each other again, and he can let me know what I got right and what I got wrong.

Thanks for being my buddy, Dave. I miss you. We all miss you.
I was just stepping out of the elevator on the 13th floor of the Five Page Mill building when the alarm began going off-those nightmarish, clear-the-building kindlike the screams of tortured robots-and I realized I pretty much lost any chance at the subtle approach.

Bobby Dollar is an angel—a real one. He knows a lot about sin, and not just in his professional capacity as an advocate for souls caught between Heaven and Hell. Bobby’s wrestling with a few deadly sins of his own—pride, anger, even lust.

But his problems aren’t all his fault. Bobby can’t entirely trust his heavenly superiors, and he’s not too sure about any of his fellow earthbound angels either, especially the new kid that Heaven has dropped into their midst, a trainee angel who asks too many questions. And he sure as hell doesn’t trust the achingly gorgeous Countess of Cold Hands, a mysterious she-demon who seems to be the only one willing to tell him the truth.

When the souls of the recently departed start disappearing, catching both Heaven and Hell by surprise, things get bad very quickly for Bobby D. End-of-the-world bad. Beast of Revelations bad. Caught between the angry forces of Hell, the dangerous strategies of his own side, and a monstrous undead avenger that wants to rip his head off and suck out his soul, Bobby’s going to need all the friends he can get—in Heaven, on Earth, or anywhere else he can find them.

You’ve never met an angel like Bobby Dollar. And you’ve never read anything like The Dirty Streets of Heaven.

Brace yourself—the afterlife is weirder than you ever believed.

Bobby Dollar, an angel who has taken part in the long battle between Heaven and Hell, must figure out why there are suddenly an unprecedented number of souls missing from both sides and who summoned a Babylonian demon to kill him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,022,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible