The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams

The Dirty Streets of Heaven (edition 2012)

by Tad Williams

Collections:Michael's Books Read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:me12, fantasy, library book, angels

The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams

A Kiss Before the Apocalypse by Thomas E. Sniegoski (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another urban fantasy about angels. Remy has given up being an angel to live on Earth as human but when the Angel of Death goes missing his former colleagues come to him for help.
    Ghost Story by Jim Butcher (al.vick)
    al.vick: or the whole Dresden series.
    Already Dead by Charlie Huston (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Noir and gritty in a similar tone, Even though it's a series about a vampire instead of an angel I think readers who enjoy one would enjoy the other.
    Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Freshly escaped from Hell, a living soul who should never have been there in the first place, looks for those who put him there. A little darker but a similar feel and probably would appeal to the same audience.
    Agents of Light and Darkness by Simon R. Green (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A book set in the Nightside, the secret, magical heart of London, and a search for something called the Unholy Grail with angels who are scarier than many of the monsters that inhabit P.I. John Taylor's strange and gritty world.
    Defending Angels by Mary Stanton (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A human lawyer and a group of angels work as advocates in the Celestial Court for their dead clients, solving their murders along the way in a lighter, cozy mystery way.
    Blood and Feathers by Lou Morgan (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Good urban fantasy about angels who aren't so angelic

Angels and demons advocate for the soul of each dead person; when the angels win it’s Heaven or Purgatory, and when the demons win it’s eternal damnation. Bobby Dollar is a hardboiled combat vet turned angel advocate, and my main reaction was that Williams was trying too hard for the noir narrative, even as the setting (sunny California) and the plot (corruption on high, lots of threats and beatings from bruisers, femme fatale with her own agenda despite her incredible attraction to our narrator) fit the bill to a T. Also, I was just creeped out by the narrator’s constant comparisons of his demonic lady love to a child, e.g., “With her youthful, wide-eyed face and long white-gold hair cascading over her naked shoulders she might have been a portrait of Alice that Reverend Dodgson would have kept locked away and shown to no one”—this, right after an explicit sex scene. Not my thing. ( )
  rivkat | Jul 12, 2014 |
This is a modern day urban fantasy with as you can guess, angels and demons. It hits just the right balance between too-good fantasy and gritty, dark fantasy, not too much of either. The 'hero' of the story is an angel named Dolorial, or his street name of Bobby Dollar. Angels appear to be normal humans when seen around town, but are tougher and stronger than normal humans. Dolorial is an advocate, an angel that speaks for the dead when they are judged immediately after death (no judgement at the pearly gates here). Things start to get strange when a soul disappears while Bobby is advocating.
The story is mostly an urban fantasy detective story, as Bobby sets out to find out what's going on with the missing souls and ends up in the middle of a huge conspiracy. Mr. William's writing is excellent, the pace of the book is fast but not too fast and his characters are compelling. There's nothing less than excellent about this book.; unless you object to his 'objective' views of religion, which while somewhat Christian doesnt really favor one religion over another. Sure, at times it isn't 'realistic', but its a fantasy novel with angels and demons, what would be realistic about that? I enjoyed this very much. ( )
1 vote Karlstar | May 17, 2014 |
The Dirty Streets of Heaven is quite different from what I had previously read by Tad Williams which was his Memory, Sorrow, & Thorn epic fantasy series. However, what was familiar was the solid storytelling, excellent world & character building and dialog. This was an angel themed urban fantasy unlike most that I've read recently. Williams' imagining of the inner workings of Heaven and Hell were quite original and intriguing as well as including a fast moving plot that is not lacking in action or suspense. The Dirty Streets of Heaven definitely has all the ingredients for an exciting urban fantasy This almost had a noir feel to it with the heirarchy of both heaven & hell almost set up like a Godfather movie.

Angel Doloriel aka Bobby Dollar is a fast talking, snarky cynic who spends his days advocating for souls caught on the brink of heaven and hell. He finds himself in the middle of a dangerous situation that is likely far beyond his ability to handle and he's not really sure how he got there or how to get out of it. This first novel in the series introduces a quite array of quirky characters who were as abrasive as the dirty streets the title refers to, but satisfyingly so.. I've seen this compared with Jim Butcher's Dresden series and I would agree that fans of that series may want to check out this series.

I'm excited to follow Bobby Dollar's (mis)adventures in the upcoming sequel Happy Hour in Hell which should be released September 3! I would absolutely recommend this to fans of urban fantasy, noir fantasy, detective novels, and as I said above, fans of the Dresden Files. ( )
  ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |

ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |
I can't say this book was all bad. For instance, it had a great world: it was really intriguing to read about the way demons and angels fight about the souls of people and their afterlife. The different types of angel there are, the way heaven works and the way angels on earth work, all good. The general story, with a mysterious object that was stolen and missing souls, also good. Whenever this was what I was reading about, I was enjoying myself. Unfortunately, the nice bits covered at most half of the book. The other half was chases followed by shoot-outs followed by chases followed by fights. I'm fine with a little of that, but this was just way too much. It was boring and served no purpose that I can see. I already know angels and demons fight. It didn't put the story forward. And it wasn't exciting either, like I said, it was boring.

Besides that, anyone who cares about a decent depiction of women should leave this book be. There are some female angels, who even have some good ideas during a fight, but they get very little page time. The other woman in the book (there are not that many) is a demon. She's evil, strong and powerful. And then we find out SPOILERshe's really not evil, she's a poor battered woman who falls in love with the main character. Despite all that, I like the fact that they get together, but there's no question that the woman is the emotionally challenged one here. Well, that's going a bit far, perhaps, but she's the one who attacks the angel because he seems to be judging her. And she's the one who goes back to her abusive boyfriend. And presumably needs to be saved from him in the next book. ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 21, 2014 |
For me Tad Williams sits right up there with the very best fantasy story-tellers...

This book is dedicated to my good friend, David Charles Michael Pierce.

Dave loved stuff like this and I think he would of liked this book too. I hope someday we'll see each other again, and he can let me know what I got right and what I got wrong.

Thanks for being my buddy, Dave. I miss you. We all miss you.
I was just stepping out of the elevator on the 13th floor of the Five Page Mill building when the alarm began going off-those nightmarish, clear-the-building kindlike the screams of tortured robots-and I realized I pretty much lost any chance at the subtle approach.

Bobby Dollar is an angel—a real one. He knows a lot about sin, and not just in his professional capacity as an advocate for souls caught between Heaven and Hell. Bobby’s wrestling with a few deadly sins of his own—pride, anger, even lust.

But his problems aren’t all his fault. Bobby can’t entirely trust his heavenly superiors, and he’s not too sure about any of his fellow earthbound angels either, especially the new kid that Heaven has dropped into their midst, a trainee angel who asks too many questions. And he sure as hell doesn’t trust the achingly gorgeous Countess of Cold Hands, a mysterious she-demon who seems to be the only one willing to tell him the truth.

When the souls of the recently departed start disappearing, catching both Heaven and Hell by surprise, things get bad very quickly for Bobby D. End-of-the-world bad. Beast of Revelations bad. Caught between the angry forces of Hell, the dangerous strategies of his own side, and a monstrous undead avenger that wants to rip his head off and suck out his soul, Bobby’s going to need all the friends he can get—in Heaven, on Earth, or anywhere else he can find them.

You’ve never met an angel like Bobby Dollar. And you’ve never read anything like The Dirty Streets of Heaven.

Brace yourself—the afterlife is weirder than you ever believed.

Bobby Dollar, an angel who has taken part in the long battle between Heaven and Hell, must figure out why there are suddenly an unprecedented number of souls missing from both sides and who summoned a Babylonian demon to kill him.

64 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,950,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible