The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams

The Dirty Streets of Heaven (edition 2012)

by Tad Williams

Collections:Michael's Books Read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:me12, fantasy, library book, angels

The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams

A Kiss Before the Apocalypse by Thomas E. Sniegoski (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another urban fantasy about angels. Remy has given up being an angel to live on Earth as human but when the Angel of Death goes missing his former colleagues come to him for help.
    Ghost Story by Jim Butcher (al.vick)
    al.vick: or the whole Dresden series.
    Already dead : a novel by Charlie Huston (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Noir and gritty in a similar tone, Even though it's a series about a vampire instead of an angel I think readers who enjoy one would enjoy the other.
    Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Freshly escaped from Hell, a living soul who should never have been there in the first place, looks for those who put him there. A little darker but a similar feel and probably would appeal to the same audience.
    Agents Of Light And Darkness by Simon R. Green (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A book set in the Nightside, the secret, magical heart of London, and a search for something called the Unholy Grail with angels who are scarier than many of the monsters that inhabit P.I. John Taylor's strange and gritty world.
    Defending Angels by Mary Stanton (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A human lawyer and a group of angels work as advocates in the Celestial Court for their dead clients, solving their murders along the way in a lighter, cozy mystery way.
    Blood and Feathers by Lou Morgan (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Good urban fantasy about angels who aren't so angelic

English (28)  German (1)  All languages (29)
Oh, man. I barely managed to finish this book; I am loathe to DNF a book, but this one sorely tempted me.

Alas, I made it through. I don't know if the style actually got better (aka irritated me less) or if I just gave up and let the book wound my readerly soul.

I liked a couple things: Caz, the complicated romantic relationship, Sam.

I couldn't stand: The protagonist. The protagonist's "voice." The irritating way the protagonist kept telling me stuff he'd already told me just in case I wasn't paying attention earlier. The protagonist.

Can you tell I don't like Bobby Dollar? It's hard to love a book when the main character, who is also the narrator, hurts you like fingernails drawn across the proverbial chalkboard.

Far too clever for its own good.

I won't be reading more books about Bobby Dollar, public defender of the final kind. ( )
  ThePortPorts | Jul 19, 2016 |
In the war between heaven and hell, some angels and demons are lawyers who will argue for your soul. But then the souls start disappearing and Bobby Dollar was there for the first one.

Very creative, well written and fun. Think pulpy detective who is actually an angel...mind you, not very saintly. I am looking forward to reading the second in the series. ( )
  bookwormteri | Jul 13, 2016 |
Noir is a genre of attitude. Urban Fantasy a type of surrealism.

Only [a:Neil Gaiman|1221698|Neil Gaiman|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1234150163p2/1221698.jpg] with his mysterious parallel worlds, and [a:Larry Correia|1136158|Larry Correia|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1323587082p2/1136158.jpg] with his fast paced tongue-in-cheek pulp action have added quality to a niche too often conceded to boorish hacks acting out 15 year old male fantasies *cough* Jim Butcher *cough*.

Tad Williams is an accomplished writer. I loved his Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy when I read it in my teens. I got warm little glows from [b:Tailchaser's Song|23340|Tailchaser's Song|Tad Williams|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328382008s/23340.jpg|1514441]. I was very curious on how Williams could turn his writing to the Urban Fantasy genre.

Raymond Chandler and Philip K. Dick are listed among his influences, but disappointingly, this story seems to be channeling his inner Simon R Green. There's too much cooler-than-cool, nonchalant, wise-talking "Anti-hero" in the protagonist. The same shit we've seen before and failed to be convinced with then.

Add to that, the catalyst for the ensuring epic events just didn't grab me as all that much of an issue either. I can only theorise that I hadn't been hooked enough by the story to succumb to what seemed a pretty weakly setup up triggering event. The bureaucratising of the Angels and Demons further killed the mood for me. That was too cliche to form such an important part. The love interest had potential, but seemed steeped too bent in the Supernatural Romance (AKA Twilight) end of the spectrum. Too many pop culture references too - they always scare me. It's like you forgot the art of writing and fell back on "..like the girl in Friends."

Unfortunately, I found the experience as B grade as watching Grimm or Haven. It was Nickelback when I was craving Siouxsie and the Banshees. Too much Emo, not enough Goth. Where's the [a:James O'Barr|56002|James O'Barr|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1343843816p2/56002.jpg] suffering, dammit! God forbid I mention this word when talking about Urban Fantasy - but it lacked Gravitas.

Maybe it's the genre itself at fault? ( )
  StaticBlaq | Apr 26, 2015 |
I wanted to like this book much more than I did. While I didn't dislike it, nonetheless it failed to live up to its potential. Too many plates spinning at once, not enough payoff when the big reveal occurs. Williams is long-winded at times, and the "wise guy" narration felt forced at times. My biggest complaint with the book was the way the female characters (all two of them) were depicted. The women were not well developed and mostly existed to boink the main character. Caz could have been really interesting, and I hope that she has more to do beside frolic in bed with Bobby in the next book.

UPDATE: I tried reading the sequel, but everything I disliked about this book seemed magnified. I've decided to give the rest of this series a pass. ( )
  MadameWho | Dec 26, 2014 |
Angels and demons advocate for the soul of each dead person; when the angels win it’s Heaven or Purgatory, and when the demons win it’s eternal damnation. Bobby Dollar is a hardboiled combat vet turned angel advocate, and my main reaction was that Williams was trying too hard for the noir narrative, even as the setting (sunny California) and the plot (corruption on high, lots of threats and beatings from bruisers, femme fatale with her own agenda despite her incredible attraction to our narrator) fit the bill to a T. Also, I was just creeped out by the narrator’s constant comparisons of his demonic lady love to a child, e.g., “With her youthful, wide-eyed face and long white-gold hair cascading over her naked shoulders she might have been a portrait of Alice that Reverend Dodgson would have kept locked away and shown to no one”—this, right after an explicit sex scene. Not my thing. ( )
  rivkat | Jul 12, 2014 |
For me Tad Williams sits right up there with the very best fantasy story-tellers...

This book is dedicated to my good friend, David Charles Michael Pierce.

Dave loved stuff like this and I think he would of liked this book too. I hope someday we'll see each other again, and he can let me know what I got right and what I got wrong.

Thanks for being my buddy, Dave. I miss you. We all miss you.
I was just stepping out of the elevator on the 13th floor of the Five Page Mill building when the alarm began going off-those nightmarish, clear-the-building kindlike the screams of tortured robots-and I realized I pretty much lost any chance at the subtle approach.

Bobby Dollar is an angel—a real one. He knows a lot about sin, and not just in his professional capacity as an advocate for souls caught between Heaven and Hell. Bobby’s wrestling with a few deadly sins of his own—pride, anger, even lust.

But his problems aren’t all his fault. Bobby can’t entirely trust his heavenly superiors, and he’s not too sure about any of his fellow earthbound angels either, especially the new kid that Heaven has dropped into their midst, a trainee angel who asks too many questions. And he sure as hell doesn’t trust the achingly gorgeous Countess of Cold Hands, a mysterious she-demon who seems to be the only one willing to tell him the truth.

When the souls of the recently departed start disappearing, catching both Heaven and Hell by surprise, things get bad very quickly for Bobby D. End-of-the-world bad. Beast of Revelations bad. Caught between the angry forces of Hell, the dangerous strategies of his own side, and a monstrous undead avenger that wants to rip his head off and suck out his soul, Bobby’s going to need all the friends he can get—in Heaven, on Earth, or anywhere else he can find them.

You’ve never met an angel like Bobby Dollar. And you’ve never read anything like The Dirty Streets of Heaven.

Brace yourself—the afterlife is weirder than you ever believed.

Bobby Dollar, an angel who has taken part in the long battle between Heaven and Hell, must figure out why there are suddenly an unprecedented number of souls missing from both sides and who summoned a Babylonian demon to kill him.

78 wanted4 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,389,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible