The Princess Diaries

by Meg Cabot

Series: The Princess Diaries (1)

Fourteen-year-old Mia, who is trying to lead a normal life as a teenage girl in New York City, is shocked to learn that her father is the Prince of Genovia, a small European principality, and that she is a princess and the heir to the throne.
    The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (emib)
    Spoiled by Heather Cocks (rarm)
    Geek High by Piper Banks (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both about an extremely gifted girl trying to fit in and finding her way through the trials of high school, including how to catch the attention of a crush who seems out of her league.
    A Royal Pain by Ellen Conford (infiniteletters)
    Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings by Hélène Boudreau (kaledrina)

English (132)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (138)
Read Harder 2019: An epistolary novel or collection of letters.

This book is starting to show its age! That just makes it extra nostalgic. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |
I'm re-reading, well listening, because I need a book where no horrible things happen and most everyone cares and protects those in need plus all the bad guys get what they deserve. ( )
  SleepyBooksandCakes | Aug 22, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this one even though it is written for younger readers. It is so much different from the movie that I can't even say one is better than the other. I did feel the ending was a little rushed and abrupt but since there are ten more books in the series I don't think that's such a big deal. I plan to read the others at some point but I have so many other books on my list for this year so not sure when. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Jul 3, 2020 |
I have been wanting to read this for quite a long time, while still being a little wary because I'm not that into princess tales (and Anne Hathaway scares me). I do like Meg Cabot, though, so I liked the thought of a ten-book series from her. Verdict? I really liked it.

I think one of the big things for me was that this wasn't really that princess-y at all. Most of the story is just typical contemporary YA territory, and that's (more than) fine by me. I'll definitely pick up the second book when I see it at the library, but I'm worried I won't be as fond of it if the princess part becomes more prominent. I don't care so much about her learning to be royal, but I do care about Michael and Mia's mother's relationship with Mr G. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Mia Thermopolis. An exciting, clever (yet flunking algebra), but perfectly average girl. Will she be able to be a royal like her father wants her to?
Mia is a perfectly normal 14 year old, average at school, average on the popularity scale and average parents. Or are they? One day her Dad unexpectedly invites her for lunch at a fancy restaurant where he tells her something that will change her life forever. She finds out that her father is the Prince of Genovia and that she is the heir to the throne. Her Grandmere, the Queen is upset when she declines this fabulous offer and says that she can't rule anything. Will she be ale to convince her parets that this is not what she wants? Or will they simply force her and she'll end up with a whole country under her wing? We found this book to be incredibly exciting and intense at certain moments. It had many twists, turns and jolts, making the book enjoyable to read. We would definitey recommend this book to teenagers mainly females.
added by TLHelen | editRead it, Jelena and Maha (Feb 11, 2012)

Meg Cabotprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hatheway, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sealey, AmberReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whatever comes," she said, "cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumph to be one all the time when no one knows it." A Little PrincessFrances Hodgson Burnett
Tuesday, September 23 Sometimes it seems like all I ever do is lie.

Mia Thermopolis is about to discover the truth about her heritage. The secrets that have been kept from her ever since she was born are about to unfold in view of the entire world. The day her father arrived is a day she will never forget. While dining with her father, Mia is told that her father is indeed the Prince of Genovia. Mia has always kept a diary and now more than ever she writes her feelings and thoughts. There are so many issues that she is dealing with: the fact that her father is a Prince, her mother is dating her Algebra teacher, her best friend has disowned her.
She tries to keep her acquired “royalty” a secret but someone has informed the press. She must now face her peers and learn how to be a princess. The boy she has always had a crush on now pays her attention and Mia does not realize until it is too late of his intentions. With help from her best friends’ brother and close friends, Mia rises to the top with a new confidence.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,806,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible