The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

The Princess Diaries

by Meg Cabot

Series: The Princess Diaries (1)

The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (emib)
    Spoiled by Heather Cocks (rarm)
    Geek High by Piper Banks (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both about an extremely gifted girl trying to fit in and finding her way through the trials of high school, including how to catch the attention of a crush who seems out of her league.
    A Royal Pain by Ellen Conford (infiniteletters)
    Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings by Hélène Boudreau (kaledrina)

English (98)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (103)
Predictable and a bit silly but a fun listen. Anne Hathaway does a great job of reading it! ( )
  Gorthalon | Dec 7, 2014 |
I've always been curious as to how this book stacked up against the movie. All of the major plot elements are here, including the best friend, her brother, the teacher/boyfriend issue, and the sudden revelation about being a princess. In the book, though, Mia's dad is still alive but unable to have any more kids, Genovia is only a principality rather than a kingdom, and grandmother Clarisse is called "Grandmere" and is a rather awful woman who drinks, smokes, and generally seems to dislike everything. I will happily take Julie Andrews any day over this woman. Very fast read, though, in part because there wasn't really any new material to cover if you have seen the Disney film. Also, there being a Disney film is sort of funny since Lilly keeps referring to Disney as a fascist corporation. Off to read book 2! ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
Christ, this is the dregs! WHY IN GOD'S NAME did I like these? Review to come with some of the "highlights". ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
A great story with a fun, and quirky narrator. The main character was much more human than I expected. ( )
  LaPhenix | Aug 10, 2014 |
I never re-read books, but I bought this for fifty cents and picked it up. The film is different, but each are good by themselves. I love how much voice Meg Cabot puts in her writing and her books are mostly in the form of journals. Princess Mia is a very likeable character that is very endearing. She is obsessed with the cutest boy in school (who wouldn't be?) and he asks her out when he finds out when she is a princess. It can be a little slow and you want to hit Mia for being obsessed with him, but I enjoyed the book. This book was written in 2000 and I find it amusing when the author references beepers and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Mia Thermopolis. An exciting, clever (yet flunking algebra), but perfectly average girl. Will she be able to be a royal like her father wants her to?
Mia is a perfectly normal 14 year old, average at school, average on the popularity scale and average parents. Or are they? One day her Dad unexpectedly invites her for lunch at a fancy restaurant where he tells her something that will change her life forever. She finds out that her father is the Prince of Genovia and that she is the heir to the throne. Her Grandmere, the Queen is upset when she declines this fabulous offer and says that she can't rule anything. Will she be ale to convince her parets that this is not what she wants? Or will they simply force her and she'll end up with a whole country under her wing? We found this book to be incredibly exciting and intense at certain moments. It had many twists, turns and jolts, making the book enjoyable to read. We would definitey recommend this book to teenagers mainly females.
added by TLHelen | editRead it, Jelena and Maha (Feb 11, 2012)

Meg Cabotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sealey, AmberReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whatever comes," she said, "cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumph to be one all the time when no one knows it." A Little PrincessFrances Hodgson Burnett
Tuesday, September 23 Sometimes it seems like all I ever do is lie.

Mia Thermopolis is about to discover the truth about her heritage. The secrets that have been kept from her ever since she was born are about to unfold in view of the entire world. The day her father arrived is a day she will never forget. While dining with her father, Mia is told that her father is indeed the Prince of Genovia. Mia has always kept a diary and now more than ever she writes her feelings and thoughts. There are so many issues that she is dealing with: the fact that her father is a Prince, her mother is dating her Algebra teacher, her best friend has disowned her.
She tries to keep her acquired “royalty” a secret but someone has informed the press. She must now face her peers and learn how to be a princess. The boy she has always had a crush on now pays her attention and Mia does not realize until it is too late of his intentions. With help from her best friends’ brother and close friends, Mia rises to the top with a new confidence.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380814021, Mass Market Paperback)

Mia Thermopolis is your average urban ninth grader. Even though she lives in Greenwich Village with a single mom who is a semifamous painter, Mia still puts on her Doc Martens one at a time, and the most exciting things she ever dreams about are smacking lips with sexy senior Josh Richter, "six feet of unadulterated hotness," and passing Algebra I. Then Mia's dad comes to town, and drops a major bomb. Turns out he's not just a European politician as he's always lead her to believe, but actually the prince of a small country! And Mia, his only heir, is now considered the crown princess of Genovia! She doesn't even know how to begin to cope: "I am so NOT a princess.... You never saw anyone who looked less like a princess than I do. I mean, I have really bad hair... and... a really big mouth and no breasts and feet that look like skis." And if this news wasn't bad enough, Mia's mom has started dating her algebra teacher, the paparazzi is showing up at school, and she's in a huge fight with her best friend, Lilly. How much more can this reluctant Cinderella handle?

Offbeat Mia will automatically win the heart of every teenage girl who's ever just wanted to fit in with as little fuss as possible. Debut author Meg Cabot's writing is silly and entertaining, with tons of pop culture references that will make teens feel right at home within her pages. This is a wonderfully wacky read. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:53 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Mia, who is trying to lead a normal life as a teenage girl in New York City, is shocked to learn that her father is the Prince of Genovia, a small European principality, and that she is a princess and the heir to the throne.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible