The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

The Princess Diaries

by Meg Cabot

Series: The Princess Diaries (1)

The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (emib)
    Spoiled by Heather Cocks (rarm)
    Geek High by Piper Banks (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both about an extremely gifted girl trying to fit in and finding her way through the trials of high school, including how to catch the attention of a crush who seems out of her league.
    A Royal Pain by Ellen Conford (infiniteletters)
    Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings by Hélène Boudreau (kaledrina)

English (120)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All (125)
Cabot, M. (2008). The Princess Diaries. New York, NY: HarperCollins Publishers.

The Princess Diaries is about a freshman high school girl names Mia Thermopolis who finds out one day when her father comes to visit that he is the prince of Genovia and she is a princess. As if flunking Algebra, her mother dating her teacher, and fighting with her best friend wasn't enough, now she has to deal with princess lessons with her Grandmere.

This is the first of the series and is recommended for young adults, primarily girls. The story is told in first person through Mia's diary entries. Each entry focuses on Mia's opinions, feelings, and recollections of the day as she slowly comes to terms with being a princess and having a bodyguard, avoiding the press, and learning to stand up for herself.

I really enjoyed this book. Even though it's silly at times and Mia can be very judgmental, she's a fun protagonist to listen to as she complains about all the horrible things happening in her life. The strong narrative voice is the best thing about this book and the diary entry-style makes the story feel even more personal. ( )
  KellyHedine | May 28, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this one even though it is written for younger readers. It is so much different from the movie that I can't even say one is better than the other. I did feel the ending was a little rushed and abrupt but since there are ten more books in the series I don't think that's such a big deal. I plan to read the others at some point but I have so many other books on my list for this year so not sure when. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Apr 5, 2017 |
:) I did prefer the movie though . . . ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
Fat Louie is orange. Your whole life has been a lie.

I was hugely distracted trying to figure out how this Genovian monarchy works. Mia's father is apparently running the country, but he has plenty of time to spend bugging Mia in the US? Mia is heir to the throne despite being an illegitimate child? She wasn't considered heir to the throne until her father found out he couldn't have any more children to... replace his firstborn? I'm so confused.

Aside from that, overall, i did think it was cute. Mia complains a lot, but this is her diary and she does have a lot to complain about... She has grown enough by the end of the book, that i have hope she'll be more positive in the future... but i guess i'll see.

[MILD SPOILER]
I wasn't okay with a few references she makes to sexual assault. She makes it out like it's okay to sexually assault someone if you're attractive. She might have learned her lesson a little by the end when Josh forcibly kisses her. However, there's still a guy who she knows feels people up and she kind of explains it like it's an annoyance, but not a big deal. I don't know. That didn't sit right with me.
[END SPOILER]

It's very different from the movie. This is actually one of the few cases in which i would say the movie is better than the book. Even though the movie is a classic case of taking an already-beautiful girl with glasses and questionable hair, and helping her discover the miracles of contacts and hair straighteners, and suddenly all the boy moose go "whaaaaa!" I mean, all the boys like her.

*Review written on December 18, 2014.* ( )
  danaenicole | Nov 19, 2016 |
Maybe 3.5 stars. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Mia Thermopolis. An exciting, clever (yet flunking algebra), but perfectly average girl. Will she be able to be a royal like her father wants her to?
Mia is a perfectly normal 14 year old, average at school, average on the popularity scale and average parents. Or are they? One day her Dad unexpectedly invites her for lunch at a fancy restaurant where he tells her something that will change her life forever. She finds out that her father is the Prince of Genovia and that she is the heir to the throne. Her Grandmere, the Queen is upset when she declines this fabulous offer and says that she can't rule anything. Will she be ale to convince her parets that this is not what she wants? Or will they simply force her and she'll end up with a whole country under her wing? We found this book to be incredibly exciting and intense at certain moments. It had many twists, turns and jolts, making the book enjoyable to read. We would definitey recommend this book to teenagers mainly females.
added by TLHelen | editRead it, Jelena and Maha (Feb 11, 2012)

Meg Cabotprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sealey, AmberReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whatever comes," she said, "cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumph to be one all the time when no one knows it." A Little PrincessFrances Hodgson Burnett
Tuesday, September 23 Sometimes it seems like all I ever do is lie.

Mia Thermopolis is about to discover the truth about her heritage. The secrets that have been kept from her ever since she was born are about to unfold in view of the entire world. The day her father arrived is a day she will never forget. While dining with her father, Mia is told that her father is indeed the Prince of Genovia. Mia has always kept a diary and now more than ever she writes her feelings and thoughts. There are so many issues that she is dealing with: the fact that her father is a Prince, her mother is dating her Algebra teacher, her best friend has disowned her.
She tries to keep her acquired “royalty” a secret but someone has informed the press. She must now face her peers and learn how to be a princess. The boy she has always had a crush on now pays her attention and Mia does not realize until it is too late of his intentions. With help from her best friends’ brother and close friends, Mia rises to the top with a new confidence.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380814021, Mass Market Paperback)

Mia Thermopolis is your average urban ninth grader. Even though she lives in Greenwich Village with a single mom who is a semifamous painter, Mia still puts on her Doc Martens one at a time, and the most exciting things she ever dreams about are smacking lips with sexy senior Josh Richter, "six feet of unadulterated hotness," and passing Algebra I. Then Mia's dad comes to town, and drops a major bomb. Turns out he's not just a European politician as he's always lead her to believe, but actually the prince of a small country! And Mia, his only heir, is now considered the crown princess of Genovia! She doesn't even know how to begin to cope: "I am so NOT a princess.... You never saw anyone who looked less like a princess than I do. I mean, I have really bad hair... and... a really big mouth and no breasts and feet that look like skis." And if this news wasn't bad enough, Mia's mom has started dating her algebra teacher, the paparazzi is showing up at school, and she's in a huge fight with her best friend, Lilly. How much more can this reluctant Cinderella handle?

Offbeat Mia will automatically win the heart of every teenage girl who's ever just wanted to fit in with as little fuss as possible. Debut author Meg Cabot's writing is silly and entertaining, with tons of pop culture references that will make teens feel right at home within her pages. This is a wonderfully wacky read. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:56 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Mia, who is trying to lead a normal life as a teenage girl in New York City, is shocked to learn that her father is the Prince of Genovia, a small European principality, and that she is a princess and the heir to the throne.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,097,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible