The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot

The Princess Diaries

by Meg Cabot

Series: The Princess Diaries (1)

The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart (emib)
    Spoiled by Heather Cocks (rarm)
    Geek High by Piper Banks (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both about an extremely gifted girl trying to fit in and finding her way through the trials of high school, including how to catch the attention of a crush who seems out of her league.
    A Royal Pain by Ellen Conford (infiniteletters)
    Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings by Hélène Boudreau (kaledrina)

English (97)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (102)
I complained in the beginning but it actually got kind of good at the end. Not good enough for me to run out and get the next one but way up from where it started. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
This was a fun book, every bit as fun as the movie. Poor Mia discovers herself to be a princess and tries to cope with her American life in high school. It's a good deal of fun to listen to her thoughts. ( )
  jlsimon7 | Mar 1, 2015 |
Okay, so who has NOT seen the movie, The Princess Diaries? And, am I the only one in the world who did not know that this was a book? Because until I got the 4th book in the series in the mail the other day, I had absolutely no idea. This is also the first book I have read by Meg Cabot so, after hearing so many great things about her, I decided it was time to check it out.

It is really hard to review a book when you had seen the movie. This is why I usually read the books first. Because, now, it is very hard for me to not compare the two, so be warned.

So, in the book, Mia is only 14, not 15 like in the movie. And in the book, her father is still alive, unlike the movie. Very unsettling. At first, I found the diary format a little awkward because it goes back and forth between the diary entries and regular writing, but I was able to adjust to that and really enjoy the book. And I did enjoy it. While it was different from what I expected, that was not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of the major drama points were still there, just maybe a slightly different set of details to go with it. This really was a very interesting read, and now, tonight, I will have to re-watch the movie to compare and contrast a little more. Seriously, if you didn't know about the book, pick it up.
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
I picked up this book when i was in High School, I may have picked it because it's cover caught my attention and I couldn't put it down, and i quickly went back to the library and picked up the sequel. Later on i found out that they had mad a movie based on the book and i was so happy. I have to say this is one of the books that got me into reading again. ( )
  Mediana | Dec 21, 2014 |
Mia Thermopolis. An exciting, clever (yet flunking algebra), but perfectly average girl. Will she be able to be a royal like her father wants her to?
Mia is a perfectly normal 14 year old, average at school, average on the popularity scale and average parents. Or are they? One day her Dad unexpectedly invites her for lunch at a fancy restaurant where he tells her something that will change her life forever. She finds out that her father is the Prince of Genovia and that she is the heir to the throne. Her Grandmere, the Queen is upset when she declines this fabulous offer and says that she can't rule anything. Will she be ale to convince her parets that this is not what she wants? Or will they simply force her and she'll end up with a whole country under her wing? We found this book to be incredibly exciting and intense at certain moments. It had many twists, turns and jolts, making the book enjoyable to read. We would definitey recommend this book to teenagers mainly females.
added by TLHelen | editRead it, Jelena and Maha (Feb 11, 2012)

Meg Cabotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sealey, AmberReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Whatever comes," she said, "cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumph to be one all the time when no one knows it." A Little PrincessFrances Hodgson Burnett
Tuesday, September 23 Sometimes it seems like all I ever do is lie.

Mia Thermopolis is about to discover the truth about her heritage. The secrets that have been kept from her ever since she was born are about to unfold in view of the entire world. The day her father arrived is a day she will never forget. While dining with her father, Mia is told that her father is indeed the Prince of Genovia. Mia has always kept a diary and now more than ever she writes her feelings and thoughts. There are so many issues that she is dealing with: the fact that her father is a Prince, her mother is dating her Algebra teacher, her best friend has disowned her.
She tries to keep her acquired “royalty” a secret but someone has informed the press. She must now face her peers and learn how to be a princess. The boy she has always had a crush on now pays her attention and Mia does not realize until it is too late of his intentions. With help from her best friends’ brother and close friends, Mia rises to the top with a new confidence.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380814021, Mass Market Paperback)

Mia Thermopolis is your average urban ninth grader. Even though she lives in Greenwich Village with a single mom who is a semifamous painter, Mia still puts on her Doc Martens one at a time, and the most exciting things she ever dreams about are smacking lips with sexy senior Josh Richter, "six feet of unadulterated hotness," and passing Algebra I. Then Mia's dad comes to town, and drops a major bomb. Turns out he's not just a European politician as he's always lead her to believe, but actually the prince of a small country! And Mia, his only heir, is now considered the crown princess of Genovia! She doesn't even know how to begin to cope: "I am so NOT a princess.... You never saw anyone who looked less like a princess than I do. I mean, I have really bad hair... and... a really big mouth and no breasts and feet that look like skis." And if this news wasn't bad enough, Mia's mom has started dating her algebra teacher, the paparazzi is showing up at school, and she's in a huge fight with her best friend, Lilly. How much more can this reluctant Cinderella handle?

Offbeat Mia will automatically win the heart of every teenage girl who's ever just wanted to fit in with as little fuss as possible. Debut author Meg Cabot's writing is silly and entertaining, with tons of pop culture references that will make teens feel right at home within her pages. This is a wonderfully wacky read. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:53 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Mia, who is trying to lead a normal life as a teenage girl in New York City, is shocked to learn that her father is the Prince of Genovia, a small European principality, and that she is a princess and the heir to the throne.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,727,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible