Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit…

Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, Book 1) (The White Rabbit… (edition 2012)

by Gena Showalter

Member:ElyPublicLibrary
Title:Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, Book 1) (The White Rabbit Chronicles)
Authors:Gena Showalter
Info:Harlequin Teen (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages

Alice In Zombieland by Gena Showalter

Angel Burn by L. A. Weatherly (Tiahn)
    Tiahn: The book Angel by L.A Weatherly is a thrilling, beautiful novel about a girl, Willow, that has always found herself different from other girls. When she runs into the mysterious and charming Alex Kylar, she realizes why she feels so different; she is only half human. Alex knows what Willow is and helps her find her true character as they run from their death. Through the novel, the reader will be left crying, smiling and laughing. This is a great book and any reader that enjoys Teen Fiction and a pinch of Romance will fall in love with this book.… (more)

English (73)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (75)
Alice in Zombieland follows the life of Alice Bell after a horrific accident which causes her to lose her family, this accident brings to life something that Alice always thought was unimaginable and inconceivable — zombies, however they are not what you would expect to be a zombie, instead they are ghost like creatures that eat your soul! This novel follows her adventures post accident, with some flashbacks to pre-accident; while reading you begin to see Alice come to terms with what the world really is like around her, you see her become a Zombie Killing machine and learn about her new relationships, friendships and connections.

If you pick up this book and expect it to represent the traditional Alice in Wonderland, but with Zombies, you will be severely disappointed. however if you are looking for a young adult dystopian read about a girl who is forced to face her worst fears and who comes into the world around her this will be the book for you. Overall it was a pretty great book, it looked at a lot of dark dystopian themes that are not for the faint of heart though! ( )
  CBreher | May 29, 2017 |
3.75 stars

My daughter loved this book so I had to check it out. What an interesting take on the whole zombie idea. I did enjoy the story, but I think I’ve been reading a little too much YA lately because it didn’t keep my interest as much as I was expecting. I did enjoy it enough that I plan to check out the next book at some point. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
3.75 stars

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Despite the deeply disturbing fantasy life in this novel, the very real world issues of grief and guilt felt true. I kept thinking about the original Alice and how this story lined up with that one... apart from the fantastical feel of "zombie land" and the translation of the Cheshire Cat to a real life girl, I didn't find a lot of parallels. But the story and the mystery kept me hooked. Can't wait to read the next novel in the series. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Dec 18, 2016 |
What started out as a really decent paranormal YA ended with a lot of unanswered questions and a lot of suppositions on my part.

What Worked: Gena Showalter's idea of 'Ghost' zombies is unusual and interesting. They are essentially soul eaters that infect the living. She wrote the idea very well and I never had any question as to their existence. It made sense and it was exciting but then it got muddled.

What Didn't Work: Although her zombie concept was great and well explained it appears that the readers of the series have to wait to see every other question answered as Ali, herself, figures them out. We don't know why some people can see the ghost-zombies and some can't. We have no idea how they have special abilities to fight them either. Alice is often reading a journal but we have no idea where it came from or who wrote it. We find there are beings called Watchers but don't know exactly what they are or how they came to exist either. So a biiiiiiiig minus in the world building column.

Also, some of the characters come across extremely immature. Ali's new friend Kat has secrets that are just silly to keep. It's not like she secretly killed her algebra teacher or anything. She also is pretty obnoxious which Ali just loves about her but she actually comes across as annoying. The two of them have a couple of friends who bail at the first sign of trouble and apparently come back with open arms when the coast is clear and yet, they still are friends. It's weird.

The relationship between Ali and Cole is pretty explosive too. Their chemistry is pretty intense and reading about her wrapping her legs around his waist as they kissed made me a bit uncomfortable because they seem so young. I know teenagers do make out (and more) but I thought this aspect of the book seemed out of place and a little more advanced than the rest of the book portrayed the kids. They did talk about sex a few times which could be seen as mature but as I mentioned it just didn't fit. By the way, one discussion about sex between Kat and Ali was just weird and I'm not sure why it was included except to bring Kat's untruths to our notice.

What REALLY Didn't Work: The title is Alice in Zombieland which leads readers to believe this just might be an Alice in Wonderland retelling. Not so much. There are some basic things, like our heroine being very blond and named Alice and she keeps seeing a white rabbit (in the form of a big puffy cloud) but the idea of Alice in Wonderland is more figurative and not literal. This will be a big turn off for those who would love a retelling.

In a Nutshell: Not what I expected based on the title. Because of this and the lack of explanation of a whole lot of concepts this book was a disappointment and I'm not sure I'll even pick up the next book. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
Six months ago - "Please, Alice. Please." I lay sprawled on a blanket in my backyard, weaving a daisy chain for my little sister.

BOOK 1 OF THE WHITE RABBIT CHRONICLES

She won't rest until she's sent every walking corpse back to its grave.

Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. But that's all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real.

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn't careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies.

Don't miss FIRSTLIFE, book 1 of Gena Showalter's action-packed, romantic and exhilarating new series, the Everlife novels!

Alice Bell must learn to fight the undead to avenge her family and learn to trust Cole Holland who has secrets of his own.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,218,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible