Pivot Point by Kasie West

Pivot Point (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Kasie West

Member:pnh002
Title:Pivot Point
Authors:Kasie West
Info:HarperTeen (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:**

Pivot Point by Kasie West (2013)

Thoroughly engrossing read. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
OH WOW!!! This book was truly amazing and it was very refreshing to read something so different. When I read the blurb and even after starting it I still wasn't sure how the author would portray the concept. I really loved the way she handled it, I was always excited to see what's going on in Addison's life now.

I loved Ms. West's storytelling and seeing her character's grow as well as their world. Addison was an awesome protagonist, she was outspoken, entertaining and kinda weird with her trust issues. Maybe it had something to do with her parents, I think their abilities messed her up a bit, or maybe it was just her world. It all seemed so fake to me, I couldn't get over that. I thought that maybe I should just get over it because it's a paranormal book about people with abilities but something just didn't sit well about their reality.

Their abilities were so cool, probably because they were shown from a different point of view when it comes to their environment and the plot of this particular story. At the same time I kind of had this sense of wrongness about the people living on the compound as it was called, where the people with abilities live as oppose to the norm world where the non-abilities people live. I thought it was just me but in the end there was some basis to my feelings.

This concept was definitely new for me and I am truly glad I read this. I was pretty much anxious the entire book not knowing what was going to happen next and what future will Addison choose to take. I was on pins on needles to the very end. I was sad and relieved at the same time, I mean a choice between two futures, who wouldn't be? I felt like I too had a big stake in the outcome of Addison's choice. I was completely connected with the story and it's characters. Pivot Point was wonderful and unique. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
This review, along with others can be seen on Cristina's Book Reviews .

There is not a book by Kasie West that I’ve read and haven’t immediately fallen in love with. Pivot Point is no different.

This book has a very interesting premise: a place called The Compound where everyone has special powers. Addie has the power of divergence; she can see into the future and live out both sides of a decision. When her dad gives her the choice to live in the normal human world with him, she decides to see what would happen if she stays or if she goes.

This book was wonderfully written, weaving both sides of Addie’s life between each chapter. Addie is highly relatable and down to earth. It wasn’t difficult to get invested into the story because her voice is very distinctive and easy to follow.

It was interesting seeing how both of her lives played out and seeing how one choice could alter so much in the long run.

Addie has two lives, and consequently, two romances. Seeing how Addie interacted with each boy was interesting because she was different with both of them. Trevor was sweet and charming, but she had to keep her secret from him, while Duke was the star quarterback and he knew everything about her. Each romance seemed genuine, yet obviously one stood higher than the other. (TEAM TREVOR!
It was interesting seeing the paranormal concept even if it wasn’t all that well explained. There was also an interesting mystery going on that Kasie West interestingly put together alongside Addie’s story.

I’ve got to say that her power was both a blessing and a curse. Having the foreknowledge of a decision you did and didn’t make is definitely very stressful. If I were in Addison’s position I would have no idea which path I’d take. In each path Addison has a certain life and she’d be giving up something different in each one. Not to mention that there’s an impressive cast of side characters and they each contribute something amazing to each side of the story.

“It was hard when I knew I was about to be flooded with memories of a life I hadn’t lived yet. Really, two lives I hadn’t lived yet.”

Overall, Pivot Point is another amazing book by Kasie West that’ll have you captivated from start to finish. The ending will leave you breathless and with the biggest hangover ever. ( )
1 vote mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |
So, one of the groups I am in on Goodreads, Book BFFs, which is a group that started during Bout of Books 7.0, does a book of the month every month. The pick for August was this book. I can't usually do these because my book buying budget has pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird a lot of the time with school starting and all, but since this was on sale for 1.99 for Kindle, I was able to get it and participate.

The first two weeks, I did good about following along with the scheduled chapters. But then, I just couldn't anymore. I got to chapter 20 and I had to keep going. I had to know what happened. Let me tell you, folks, I read from chapter 20 to the end in about 3 hours, in one sitting.

The story is laid out so uniquely that you just have to keep reading. You feel compelled to know how it will turn out and which path Addie is going to take. I will admit I had hoped it would turn out differently.

The writing is smooth and it feels as though it was almost effortless. While I had trouble focusing with the two different paths and the way it was laid out in the beginning, it soon became much less of a problem and I was able to fall into the words in the story. There were plenty of moments where I wanted to shake a few of the characters, rather violently. There were moments where the story brought tears to my eyes for various reasons, and I felt as though I was experiencing everything with them.

I find myself insanely frustrated now because I will have to wait until February (!!!) to see what happens next. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
This was an excellent story that followed two possible futures of the main character Addison. I feared the two futures would make the story hard to follow but this was not the case. Each future was interesting and engaging and the ties between them were a nice touch. The ending was a bit emotional but perfect for Addison's character. ( )
  Whitneyadela | Feb 27, 2015 |
"Heads up," a loud voice called from my right.

"A girl with the power to search alternate futures lives out six weeks of two different lives in alternating chapters. Both futures hold the potential for love and loss, and ultimately she is forced to choose which fate she is willing to live through"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,479,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible