Pivot Point by Kasie West

Pivot Point (edition 2013)

by Kasie West

Member:pnh002
Title:Pivot Point
Authors:Kasie West
Info:HarperTeen (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:**

Pivot Point by Kasie West

Wow this book was awesome! Although I felt that the writing could have been more sophisticated, the story was so original and captivating. Thee structure was so different from anything I've read before, but this book was not confusing at all. The details were well though out and they really made me think about everything that happened. I love Addie and the romance in this novel, and I need to read the sequel soon because I have to know what happens next!

My Goodreads: fantasticalcatherine ( )
  lifeshiddengems | Jul 14, 2014 |
Re-read opinion: Yeah, I liked Pivot Point before, but this re-read just blew my mind. This was one of those books that is much better the second time because you can see everything leading up to the ending and it is fantastic. Full 5 stars this time!

I had a suspicion of it before, but Pivot Point confirmed it for me: I am a HUGE fan of Parallel universe stories. I like being able to see the way two different things will play out while knowing more than the characters, because I’m an evil reader like that. And Pivot Point reminded me of all my favorite parts of parallel universe stories.

Not only do we have parallel choices in Pivot Point, but also superheros(basically), and um, it’s set in my home state of Texas, so that always gets a nod. Now, the words “superhero” does not sound that great to me. I picture cheesy Superman comics. However, I really liked the idea of the ParaNormals, their talents/abilities, and The Compound. The idea behind the Compound was so cool–a whole city, basically, hidden from the rest of the world where people with special abilities live and teenagers go to school to work on honing their specific abilities.

I really admire Addie’s ability to use her talent with restraint. Not going to lie, if I had her ability to look at two different outcomes of each decision, I’d probably use it more than would be healthy. The majority of this story(at least 80%), is Addie’s search when her parents tell her about the divorce. It makes for a really interesting reading experience because while both realities are intriguing enough in their own right and keep my attention, there was a little voice at the back reminding me that this wasn’t really the story yet. It could be, depending on which future Addie choose, but at the moment the story’s told, it’s a search.

There’s a love triangle in Pivot Point(kinda), but I’ve decided I really like parallel story love triangles. Because generally the two sides of the triangle don’t know each other, there’s no animosity. Instead, love triangles can serve a point in the story of showing two different sides of the main character. I was never a fan of Duke, Addie’s potential love interest in the Compound, and really liked Trevor, the “norm” boy. Even with the love triangle, it never overshadowed the plot.

My only real complaint with Pivot Point is that it got off to a bit of a slow start. After the world’s set up a bit, the first few chapters are quite. . . normal. Nothing out of the ordinary, mainly just Addie adjusting to a new life. While that would be fine on its own in a contemporary, I thought the premise of this book warranted a pace that was just a little quicker than what this book actually was at the beginning.

Final Impression: Other than a little issue with pacing at the beginning, I REALLY enjoyed Pivot Point and it’s take on parallel realities. Addie’s an interesting main character and I have a feeling I’ll like her even more in Split Second, the sequel. This was a really original story that I flew through. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this.... Solid characters, story, and writing, and a clever premise. 4.5 stars, and I'd love to read more from West.

More on this and other reviews on fefferbooks.com. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
I don't know why, but I pre ordered this book 3 months before it came out, and I am so glad I did. Pivot Point glues you to it's pages, and I finished it in one night.

The book starts out very quickly. Addie comes home from her supernatural school to hear the news that her parents are getting a divorce. Her mom is staying in the Compound, while her dad is moving to the normal world. Addie has to pick who to live with.

She calls her best friend over and, to help decide, uses her powers as a searcher to see both paths in the future. There is no dragging whatsoever in the beginning. You get a quick introduction, and then into the action. Just the way that keeps the audience interested in the book.

One path, the one with her dad outside the compound, shows Addie adjusting to "normal" high school. She finds friends, one of which, Trevor, could be more of a friend. Addie learns valuable lessons about life outside her supernatural community.

When with her mom, Addie hangs out with her best friend and a famous school football player, Duke. The paths intertwine, in each you'll earn unique information about a mystery. Another enjoyable aspect in the book. Each path also has it's consequences and perks. Very true to real life.

Addie is a very relatable heroine. She is nice, realistic, and unique. I especially think book lovers will love and understand her. Her best friend, Laila, is a pretty cool character too. She is funny and supportive, although in some ways she is very alike other best friends in YA.

The whole Compound idea is very interesting and fun to read about, each person has a power or ability. There are so many cool ideas the author throws into the book, human lie detectors, telekinetics, perceptives, mood controllers, and more. And the world created seems like a regular teens world, with the normal drama, only with a supernatural twist!

Overall, I would recommend this to all supernatural lovers. The characters were deep and the plot and writing was addictive. Pivot Point is a great read!

5/5 bookcases
I can't wait to read Kasie West's next novel, The Distance Between Us! ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Ever had to make a tough decision? Wish you could see both paths before deciding? That is exactly what Pivot Point's protag, Addie, can do thanks to her gift of divergence. In Pivot Point we are first introduced to Addie in a hidden compound where gifted folks live. They have these crazy mind abilities like persuasion, telepathy and telekinesis, just to name a few. When her parents decide to divorce she must choose between living with her mom in the hidden town or going with her dad and living with the "norms" (people like you and I). So of course she uses her ability to see which choice is best, but nothing could have prepared her for what happens during her "search".

I loved that the story was told while Addie was in search mode, alternating each chapter between life with her mom and life out in the normal world with her dad. I was really impressed with the pacing and how the author kept the alternating story lines from getting jumbled. The world building in Pivot Point was top notch. Both main and secondary characters were well developed. The author really did a stunning job. The ending was absolutely fabulous, although somewhat predictable. I knew what was coming, but the author's ability to wrap up the story so seamlessly left me wowed.

I'm so excited to see more sci-fi hitting the shelves of the YA section and can't wait to read the next book in this series! Even if you don't consider yourself a fan of sci-fi I highly suggest giving Pivot Point a try. I don't think it will disappoint. ( )
  C.Ibarra | Dec 30, 2013 |

"A girl with the power to search alternate futures lives out six weeks of two different lives in alternating chapters. Both futures hold the potential for love and loss, and ultimately she is forced to choose which fate she is willing to live through"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,633,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible