Pivot Point by Kasie West

Pivot Point (edition 2013)

by Kasie West

Info:HarperTeen (2013), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:**

Pivot Point by Kasie West

I don't know why, but I pre ordered this book 3 months before it came out, and I am so glad I did. Pivot Point glues you to it's pages, and I finished it in one night.

The book starts out very quickly. Addie comes home from her supernatural school to hear the news that her parents are getting a divorce. Her mom is staying in the Compound, while her dad is moving to the normal world. Addie has to pick who to live with.

She calls her best friend over and, to help decide, uses her powers as a searcher to see both paths in the future. There is no dragging whatsoever in the beginning. You get a quick introduction, and then into the action. Just the way that keeps the audience interested in the book.

One path, the one with her dad outside the compound, shows Addie adjusting to "normal" high school. She finds friends, one of which, Trevor, could be more of a friend. Addie learns valuable lessons about life outside her supernatural community.

When with her mom, Addie hangs out with her best friend and a famous school football player, Duke. The paths intertwine, in each you'll earn unique information about a mystery. Another enjoyable aspect in the book. Each path also has it's consequences and perks. Very true to real life.

Addie is a very relatable heroine. She is nice, realistic, and unique. I especially think book lovers will love and understand her. Her best friend, Laila, is a pretty cool character too. She is funny and supportive, although in some ways she is very alike other best friends in YA.

The whole Compound idea is very interesting and fun to read about, each person has a power or ability. There are so many cool ideas the author throws into the book, human lie detectors, telekinetics, perceptives, mood controllers, and more. And the world created seems like a regular teens world, with the normal drama, only with a supernatural twist!

Overall, I would recommend this to all supernatural lovers. The characters were deep and the plot and writing was addictive. Pivot Point is a great read!

5/5 bookcases
I can't wait to read Kasie West's next novel, The Distance Between Us! ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Ever had to make a tough decision? Wish you could see both paths before deciding? That is exactly what Pivot Point's protag, Addie, can do thanks to her gift of divergence. In Pivot Point we are first introduced to Addie in a hidden compound where gifted folks live. They have these crazy mind abilities like persuasion, telepathy and telekinesis, just to name a few. When her parents decide to divorce she must choose between living with her mom in the hidden town or going with her dad and living with the "norms" (people like you and I). So of course she uses her ability to see which choice is best, but nothing could have prepared her for what happens during her "search".

I loved that the story was told while Addie was in search mode, alternating each chapter between life with her mom and life out in the normal world with her dad. I was really impressed with the pacing and how the author kept the alternating story lines from getting jumbled. The world building in Pivot Point was top notch. Both main and secondary characters were well developed. The author really did a stunning job. The ending was absolutely fabulous, although somewhat predictable. I knew what was coming, but the author's ability to wrap up the story so seamlessly left me wowed.

I'm so excited to see more sci-fi hitting the shelves of the YA section and can't wait to read the next book in this series! Even if you don't consider yourself a fan of sci-fi I highly suggest giving Pivot Point a try. I don't think it will disappoint. ( )
  C.Ibarra | Dec 30, 2013 |
Hmmm... 3.5 Stars? Maybe? ( )
  byeol | Nov 17, 2013 |
I was looking forward to reading this book, especially since a lot of people have been praising it. Turns out, I loved it!

Addie's special power is to see the future when she's presented with a choice, so when her parents tell her they are divorcing she decides to search the future for the best decision. While she is searching we get to follow along with her, with the chapters alternating between Addie living with her mom in the Compound and Addie living with her dad outside of the Compound.

I loved that we get both perspectives of what it's like to live inside the compound and what it's like to be this 'paranormal' person living on the outside. I also loved that the two futures sort of wove together nicely, it made me respect West for such an amazing job at writing these two futures in such a way that everything just laid out perfectly.

With two different futures, there are also two different love interests. I was completely turned off by Duke right away. He just seemed like a douche bag and there was something that made me not trust him. Anytime Duke would say anything, even something like "You're so pretty Addie" I would be like 'you're LYING! You're just sucking up for some reason that I don't know yet!' But Trevor. I LOVED Trevor. I loved everything about Addie and Trevor's relationship. It was such a cute, slow building (my favorite) relationship.

I also loved Addie. She has such an awesome personality that made me want to be her friend. She had awesome one liners or would say something like

"Yeah, well, you've known me for such a long time. You should be able to read my looks by now. Glaring at you in the rear view mirror, like this, means: 'You will die if you take people to my house. Come up with an alternate solution.'" I give him and example of the look."
–page 110

Can I mention how heartbreaking the ending is? Because it's heartbreaking. All I can say is, you just have to read it, because it's so sad, but brilliant, and there is some little hope off in the corner, but Addie is oblivious to it, which make the heartbreak even worse and *sigh*.

Overall, I loved this book and I'm very excited for the next book! ( )
  taleofnight | Nov 9, 2013 |
I have to say that my interest was definitely peaked when I read the premise of Pivot Point. It reminded me of a movie that I’ve seen a long time ago. Plus a fantastic cover, I was most certainly in and it did not disappoint.

We are introduced to Addie at her most vulnerable time. Her parents are divorcing, and she is being the choice to choose which one of her parents she wants to live with. Her Mother, who wants to stay on the Compound where she has grown up and has friends. Or her Father, who wants to go and live in the “norm” world. This path means not using the abilities that Addie has. Addie is one spunky girl with an awesome ability. It was fun to see both of the paths that Addie had to choose from. One thing that stuck out me was no matter path we were reading about, her friendship with Laila stayed strong. That to me was amazing, it showed the strength and character Addie had. Of course she did the things that most teenagers do when going through something like this, she rebelled. Addie had a great personality, and I enjoyed her immensely.

The world building was completely riveting. The idea of people have the abilities to influence your thoughts, move things, erase people memories and better yet being able to tell when someone is lying is intriguing and I think I would like the whole lie detector thing too. Anyway… Both paths were full of excitement, a little mystery and romance. I guess I can’t really say it was a love triangle because both guys were from separate paths. But early on, I knew who I wanted Addie to be with. When all the mystery came together at the end, I found myself saying, “NO!!! It has one heck of a cliffhanger and was completely heart breaking.

Pivot Point was one of those books that surprised me. The plot was phenomenal and unique, the strong and very well developed characters were simply amazing. It was funny, mysterious, engrossing, it had it all. This is a great debut from Kasie West and a definite must read. I will be anxiously waiting for sequel. ( )
  jeneaw | Sep 30, 2013 |

"A girl with the power to search alternate futures lives out six weeks of two different lives in alternating chapters. Both futures hold the potential for love and loss, and ultimately she is forced to choose which fate she is willing to live through"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible