The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur…

The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1905)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: Sherlock Holmes (6)

English (31)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (33)
... I realised more clearly than I had ever done the loss which the community had sustained by the death of Sherlock Holmes." (pg. 2)

Another fine collection of Sherlock Holmes short stories, with the great detective brought back from the dead by popular demand. As with my previous Conan Doyle experience, the earlier The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, I marvelled at how easy the book was to read. I often read at a leisurely pace, but I burned through The Return of Sherlock Holmes in no time – and, what is more, it still seemed leisurely even at that faster pace. It is the very definition of 'crowd-pleasing' in its most guiltless form. Return was not as good as Adventures: the crimes were less singular (as Watson would say) and the prose less quotable. Nevertheless, starting a story with Holmes bursting into Watson's room crying "The game is afoot!", as Conan Doyle does in 'The Abbey Grange', offers a literary thrill like few others." ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jun 3, 2016 |
Classic Sherlock Holmes cases to show the genius of the detective and Conan Doyle's writing. The anthology starts with the case that brings Holmes back from the dead (with lots of fan urging). Then Holmes runs his natural gambit of murder, blackmail, and missing people. With most short story collections, some are good, some are not. With this collection there were no are nots" for me. I enjoyed them all. I had the added benefit of watching the TV series with Jeremy Brett. It was nice to remember how true they had stayed to the original stories. Few changes were made so I was able to picture the events clearly in my head. It made for wonderful bedtime reading.
" ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
This series of short stories is fun escapism. Not as sexist as the earlier stories, which is nice. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
True SH style. Some of the cases were too good :) ( )
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |
Sherlock Holmes is back from the dead. There are some good mysteries here. I liked The Six Napoleons best as I worked out what was going on. There's also some very fine writing; The Solitary Cyclist in particular. Check out the alliteration and the patterned variations on C, S and their combinations. My friend Ed says they're pure chance, but I don't think so. ( )
  Lukerik | May 18, 2015 |

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

It was in the spring of the year 1894 that all London was interested, and the fashionable world dismayed, by the murder of the Honourable Ronald Adair under most unusual and inexplicable circumstances.
There seems to be several different collections that have been called "The Return of Sherlock Holmes", released long after Arthur Conan Doyles death. This collection included the following:
The Adventure of the Empty House
The Adventure of the Golden Pince-nez
The Adventure of the Missing Three-quarter
The Adventure of the Abbey Grange
The Adventure of the Second Stain

Three years have passed since Sherlock Holmes and his nemesis Moriarty vanished into the abyss of the Reichenbach falls. In that time the criminals of London have been able to sleep safe in their beds. But with the appearance of a dangerous individual with an air gun, the capital has never been in greater need of its protector. And so it is that Dr Watson meets a mysterious deformed man who reveals the truth behind the fateful final conflict between Holmes and Moriarty, and paves the way for the extraordinary return of the world's greatest sleuth in thirteen new tales of mystery and deduction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:05 -0400)

Holmes es resucitado tras la rebelim que contra su muerte es creada entre el pueblo...Criptogramas, estudios cada vez ms especializados-ahora en las huellas de neumtico-, tipos ms astutos de lo que parece, y mujeres... desconcertantes mujeres... Sus actos ms triviales pueden significar una inmensidad, y sus comportamientos ms extraordinarios pueden depender de una horquilla, componen este regreso tan solicitado como satisfactorio.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014103436X, 0241952956

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,506,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible