The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur…

The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1905)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: Sherlock Holmes (6)

English (28)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (30)
The Return of Sherlock Holmes derives its title from the fact that the famous detective was presumed dead after the fight with his nemesis Professor Moriarty at Reichenbach Falls. And Holmes has returned alright. This volume provides the reader with thirteen short stories centered around Holmes and his partner Watson. In the first of those thirteen stories, the duo hunt down a would-be assassin of Holmes so that the detective can finally return to his lodgings at 221b Baker Street. In the last story of the collection, Watson mentions that Sherlock Holmes himself was not interested in the continuation of the publication of his adventures anymore. There is also talk of Holmes planning to write down some of his stories himself to while away the time of his retirement.

What I found most interesting about this volume of short stories is the fact that while the structure of Arthur Conan Doyle's detective stories is basically the same every time, it is quite astonishing how he always manages to engage the reader anew in every story. One would think that the author has to run out of material for his cases at some point so that the stories will become repetitive to a certain extent. But they just do not. To my mind, this is quite a remarkable achievement considering the sheer endless number of Sherlock Holmes stories. From a structuralist perspective each story can be described as beginning with Holmes and Watson idling at their place in Baker Street, followed by the presentation of a new case and eventually investigations of the matter and its, in Holmes' eyes pretty obvious, solution. This, however, does not lessen the literary quality of the stories. In the reading process you actually do not think about the structure as your attention is almost always immediately caught by the case at hand.

The looming retirement of Sherlock Holmes is something that might have troubled readers at the time of publication of The Return of Sherlock Holmes. But as we know today, there are quite some stories to follow and Holmes will not retire for quite some time. Personally, I am happy about this since reading the stories is always enjoyable. I do already dread the point when I will have read every Sherlock Holmes story that has ever been written. But then again, there is always the option of re-reads.

I know that this review does not focus too much on the content of the single stories, but as I see it this is not really necessary. I would think that readers of Sherlock Holmes would usually start with the more famous works, the novels, that is, and not with this collection of short stories. So, whoever reads this collection is probably already well acquainted with the literary figure of Sherlock Holmes. Nonetheless, it is worth mentioning that the stories in this volume do not lack in quality and are a pleasure to read.

On the whole, four stars for The Return of Sherlock Holmes. ( )
1 vote OscarWilde87 | Oct 14, 2014 |
Another collection of variable quality, although the female characters in these stories are largely wonderful, and a handful are kickass, self-sufficient women.

Also, the canon support for a Holmes/Watson marriage is all over the place and nothing like subtle, but all in all there's relatively little of Watson in the book. He's narrating every page and he's present in all those scenes, but it seems like earlier books had more of him expressing his own self. The bits and pieces of them sniping at each other make me so fond because it's all too rare that we see that Watson is entirely able to hold his own next to Holmes, but he's self-censoring as narrator. Such interesting characterization. It makes him a great ninja of an unreliable narrator because ACD takes such pains to convince us that Watson is impeccably reliable. And yet... *g*

I wish he'd written more novels. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading this book of short stories. ( )
  Barb_H | Nov 9, 2013 |
After growing up on Sherlock Holmes movies, Sherlock Holmes parodies, Sherlock Holmes-inspired characters and plots, and all manner of Sherlock Holmes culture references, I figured I owed it to myself to actually read a real, live Sherlock Holmes book. Otherwise, I felt like a bit of a poser, as if I was taking the name of Sherlock in vain, kind of like people who say "let's get the hell out of Dodge" without even knowing that they're quoting...(Googles furiously)...the classic 1960s-70s television series Gunsmoke.

I must say it was an interesting experience coming to these stories so late in life, as I simply kept shaking my head at how influential this stuff is. Yet it wasn't stuffy or stilted at all; the thirteen short episodes that make up this book were all brisk, readable, humorous, and fun. They have only the most tenuous continuity - they aren't even in chronological order - and the plots are very much of the cookie-cutter variety. What keeps you reading is just the drive to see who's lying and how Holmes is going to figure it out. Which, aside from an arrogant druggie protagonist, is just one more way House, M.D. robs Sherlock Holmes dry.

Definitely a worthy read, especially if you snatch it free from Project Gutenberg, as I did. ( )
  benjamin.duffy | Jul 28, 2013 |
40) The Return of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (8/10) To Watson’s utter astonishment Holmes returns from the dead, after toppling into the Reichenbach falls with Moriarty. The manner of his reappearance is a bit odd, as he seems determined to kill Watson through shock. Some classic Holmes stories here. Occasionally Holmes will keep some vital piece of information to himself, which a bit annoying as it means not only Watson, Lestrade & Hopkins are kept in the dark & unable to solve the mystery, but so is the read. Still immensely enjoyable to reread them. ( )
  marek2010 | May 15, 2013 |

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

It was in the spring of the year 1894 that all London was interested, and the fashionable world dismayed, by the murder of the Honourable Ronald Adair under most unusual and inexplicable circumstances.
There seems to be several different collections that have been called "The Return of Sherlock Holmes", released long after Arthur Conan Doyles death. This collection included the following:
The Adventure of the Empty House
The Adventure of the Golden Pince-nez
The Adventure of the Missing Three-quarter
The Adventure of the Abbey Grange
The Adventure of the Second Stain

Three years have passed since Sherlock Holmes and his nemesis Moriarty vanished into the abyss of the Reichenbach falls. In that time the criminals of London have been able to sleep safe in their beds. But with the appearance of a dangerous individual with an air gun, the capital has never been in greater need of its protector. And so it is that Dr Watson meets a mysterious deformed man who reveals the truth behind the fateful final conflict between Holmes and Moriarty, and paves the way for the extraordinary return of the world's greatest sleuth in thirteen new tales of mystery and deduction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:41 -0400)

Holmes es resucitado tras la rebelim que contra su muerte es creada entre el pueblo...Criptogramas, estudios cada vez ms especializados-ahora en las huellas de neumtico-, tipos ms astutos de lo que parece, y mujeres... desconcertantes mujeres... Sus actos ms triviales pueden significar una inmensidad, y sus comportamientos ms extraordinarios pueden depender de una horquilla, componen este regreso tan solicitado como satisfactorio.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

Sixteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014103436X, 0241952956

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible