The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur…

The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1905)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: Sherlock Holmes (6)

English (27)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (29)
Another collection of variable quality, although the female characters in these stories are largely wonderful, and a handful are kickass, self-sufficient women.

Also, the canon support for a Holmes/Watson marriage is all over the place and nothing like subtle, but all in all there's relatively little of Watson in the book. He's narrating every page and he's present in all those scenes, but it seems like earlier books had more of him expressing his own self. The bits and pieces of them sniping at each other make me so fond because it's all too rare that we see that Watson is entirely able to hold his own next to Holmes, but he's self-censoring as narrator. Such interesting characterization. It makes him a great ninja of an unreliable narrator because ACD takes such pains to convince us that Watson is impeccably reliable. And yet... *g*

I wish he'd written more novels. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading this book of short stories. ( )
  Barb_H | Nov 9, 2013 |
After growing up on Sherlock Holmes movies, Sherlock Holmes parodies, Sherlock Holmes-inspired characters and plots, and all manner of Sherlock Holmes culture references, I figured I owed it to myself to actually read a real, live Sherlock Holmes book. Otherwise, I felt like a bit of a poser, as if I was taking the name of Sherlock in vain, kind of like people who say "let's get the hell out of Dodge" without even knowing that they're quoting...(Googles furiously)...the classic 1960s-70s television series Gunsmoke.

I must say it was an interesting experience coming to these stories so late in life, as I simply kept shaking my head at how influential this stuff is. Yet it wasn't stuffy or stilted at all; the thirteen short episodes that make up this book were all brisk, readable, humorous, and fun. They have only the most tenuous continuity - they aren't even in chronological order - and the plots are very much of the cookie-cutter variety. What keeps you reading is just the drive to see who's lying and how Holmes is going to figure it out. Which, aside from an arrogant druggie protagonist, is just one more way House, M.D. robs Sherlock Holmes dry.

Definitely a worthy read, especially if you snatch it free from Project Gutenberg, as I did. ( )
  benjamin.duffy | Jul 28, 2013 |
40) The Return of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (8/10) To Watson’s utter astonishment Holmes returns from the dead, after toppling into the Reichenbach falls with Moriarty. The manner of his reappearance is a bit odd, as he seems determined to kill Watson through shock. Some classic Holmes stories here. Occasionally Holmes will keep some vital piece of information to himself, which a bit annoying as it means not only Watson, Lestrade & Hopkins are kept in the dark & unable to solve the mystery, but so is the read. Still immensely enjoyable to reread them. ( )
  marek2010 | May 15, 2013 |
I had forgotten how good Sherlock Holmes stories were. I'll have to go back and read the others again. The writing style of Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle is very enjoyable. The stories are written in the voice of Dr Watson who is Holmes' best friend.

One nice thing about these stories is how clear the concepts of right and wrong are (back then). No moral relativism here! The only reason it took so long for me to finish this book was that I only read at bedtime and as soon as I'd start a story, I'd get *very* sleepy...but it wasn't the writing!

I got this from www.gutenburg.org for free (yay!) and read it on my Kindle (which I love!)... ( )
  CatQuilt | May 10, 2013 |

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

It was in the spring of the year 1894 that all London was interested, and the fashionable world dismayed, by the murder of the Honourable Ronald Adair under most unusual and inexplicable circumstances.
There seems to be several different collections that have been called "The Return of Sherlock Holmes", released long after Arthur Conan Doyles death. This collection included the following:
The Adventure of the Empty House
The Adventure of the Golden Pince-nez
The Adventure of the Missing Three-quarter
The Adventure of the Abbey Grange
The Adventure of the Second Stain

Three years have passed since Sherlock Holmes and his nemesis Moriarty vanished into the abyss of the Reichenbach falls. In that time the criminals of London have been able to sleep safe in their beds. But with the appearance of a dangerous individual with an air gun, the capital has never been in greater need of its protector. And so it is that Dr Watson meets a mysterious deformed man who reveals the truth behind the fateful final conflict between Holmes and Moriarty, and paves the way for the extraordinary return of the world's greatest sleuth in thirteen new tales of mystery and deduction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:41 -0400)

Holmes es resucitado tras la rebelim que contra su muerte es creada entre el pueblo...Criptogramas, estudios cada vez ms especializados-ahora en las huellas de neumtico-, tipos ms astutos de lo que parece, y mujeres... desconcertantes mujeres... Sus actos ms triviales pueden significar una inmensidad, y sus comportamientos ms extraordinarios pueden depender de una horquilla, componen este regreso tan solicitado como satisfactorio.… (more)

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

Sixteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014103436X, 0241952956

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,275,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible