The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of…

The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20th Century (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Peter Watson

Member:tim86
Title:The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20th Century
Authors:Peter Watson
Info:Harper Perennial (2002), Paperback, 864 pages
Rating:*****

The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20th Century by Peter Watson (2001)

Recently added bytwp77, private library, heyjohn, LamarJimmerson, dgooler, StevenLJones, wordwidget, vrullan, KarenFunt

English (4)  Dutch (3)  All languages (7)
A marvelous intellectual history of the 20th century. Amazingly he gets it right: Marx and Freud have nothing to say to us. ( )
  KirkLowery | Mar 4, 2014 |
I loved reading this account of art, music, literature, science, and society across the 20th century. Watson finds that the idea of evolution perhaps had the single greatest impact on 20th century thought. On the down side, one can often judge such broad-ranging books by what they say about your own areas of expertise, which in my case is economics, and I found Watson's account of economic ideas to be rather dated and with gaping holes in the historical account. ( )
  Mandarinate | Jan 14, 2011 |
Peter Watson has tackled a huge task in writing about ideas in the 20th century in his book, THE MODERN MIND. In my opinion he has done a commendable job in a comprehensive way. Those of us whose lives cover most of that century will find it very useful in providing our lives a context to reflect upon. Those of us who will probably spend most of our lives in the current century will undoubtedly have a firm foundation on which to understand new ideas as they come along. Mr. Watson's conclusion that the "century has been dominated intellectually by a coming to terms with science" is right on target. This conclusion provides much needed insight into our current intellectual, political, and cultural environment in our post 9/11 world.
  Seeker | Mar 16, 2007 |
Interviewed on BBC television in 1997, shortly before his death, Sir Isaiah Berlin, the Oxford philosopher and historian of ideas, was asked what had been the most surprising thing about his long life.
Sometimes published in two volumes in translation, and by the Folio Society; if sequenced with "Ideas: A History from Fire to Freud" these volumes may be numbered 3 and 4 (or just 3 in single-volume editions).

From Freud to Babbitt, from Animal Farm to Sartre to the Great Society, from the Theory of Relativity to counterculture to Kosovo, The Modern Mind is encyclopedic, covering the major writers, artists, scientists, and philosophers who produced the ideas by which we live. Peter Watson has produced a fluent and engaging narrative of the intellectual tradition of the twentieth century, and the men and women who created it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:38 -0400)

Presents a survey of the ideas, discoveries, individuals, and cultural expressions that comprise the intellectual history of the twentieth century.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible