Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara

Lovely, Dark and Deep (edition 2012)

by Amy McNamara

Member:renkellym
Title:Lovely, Dark and Deep
Authors:Amy McNamara
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2012), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara

Rating: 3 of 5

Nothing original but certainly realistic in its portrayal of an 18-year-old dealing (or mostly not really dealing) with her grief and depression. Recommended for older young adults seeking an authentic story of loss and in its aftermath the struggle to reconnect with life.

"It's too much to be trusted with someone else's heart. I don't think it ever ends well (p.198)." ( )
  flying_monkeys | Jul 20, 2013 |
Originally reviewed at: http://www.flyleafreview.com/2013/03/book-review-lovely-dark-and-deep-by-amy.htm...

From the moment I read the title, I knew that I wanted to check out Lovely, Dark, and Deep. You see, I am a big fan of poet Robert Frost, who wrote the poem Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening, where McNamara's book gets it's title.

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

(Any excuse to add a poem to my posts...:)

I love that poem because of the somber, maybe even dark and ominous, tone. It is a wonderful fit with McNamara's debut work, which chronicles the depression of eighteen year old Wren Wells. Lovely, Dark and Deep is a quiet book, and Wren's story is definitely a somber one. But what I love most about this book is how introspective it is. Told in first person POV, the reader really gets deep inside Wren's head as she struggles to recover mentally from a car accident that took her boyfriend's life.

Wren is floundering. She's has no interest in college. No interest in her art (she's a talented photographer). No interest in her old friends. And no interest in her life at present. After healing from the physical trauma of the accident, she persuaded her mother to let her leave New York and move in with her artist father in Maine until she can get back on her feet again. But it has been months and not much has changed. Wren wakes up and she jogs or bikes the neighboring roads around her father's property. Then she comes home and sleeps. Then she does it all over again. Wren's mom is rapidly approaching her limit, she's eager for Wren to move on and start college, and Wren's dad, while present, is distant and, like many artists, distracted. Wren is avoiding her mom's calls as much as she can and staying out of her father's sight (which is not that difficult) as well.

Everything changes when she meets fellow townie Cal Owens in a most unlikely way. Turns out Cal is the son of her dad's architect and has a few problems of his own that he is trying to work through too. Both Wren and Cal are battling their own demons and you have to wonder if the two of them meeting and trying to develop a relationship is the smartest choice. It turns out it is.

Lovely, Dark and Deep does not sport a huge cast, and I liked that about this book. The handful of characters we do meet are well written. But it is Wren and Cal who are the primary voices in this book. Wren is broken, fragile and on edge. And the way McNamara wrote her reflects this. Wren's thoughts and dialogue are choppy and brief. It was very easy to sympathize with all that Wren has lost, not just a boyfriend but in a way, her old self. And it is easy to get frustrated with her moping. For every positive step Wren makes towards recovery, she often takes two large steps back. I never gave up on her, but there were many, many times I wished she would let some of the people who were trying help her. But ultimately, I felt that when the time and circumstances were right, Wren would progress.

Cal is at a different place in his life. I don't want to spoil and tell you why Call is struggling, but it's a BIG thing. When Cal meets Wren he sees something in her. And though she pretty much rebuffs him in every way, his interest remains constant, and slowly they forge a tentative bond. I REALLY liked Cal. Not only is he kind of swoony, he is a genuinely GOOD person. And I think that McNamara's decision to write a love interest for Wren that also had problems was brilliant. Cal could easily have been written as someone who solved Wren's problems for her. And I'm not saying that they don't help each other through their tough times, they definitely do. But Wren must take the full responsibility for her problems and SAVE HERSELF. I will say that I did worry a lot about Cal's character pretty much throughout the course of this book. McNamara had me biting my nails a good deal while reading.

There are some fabulous secondary characters in this story. Maybe a little more background is necessary at this point. Wren's dad is a famous artist who hosts an artist internship, a fellowship actually, to a student from RISD (Rhode Island School of Design, one of the country's TOP art schools) each semester. When Wren comes to live with her dad, the fellowship winner he is hosting is a girl named Mary. Mary lives in town, but comes to Wren and her dad's house every day to work alongside him in his studio. Mary was a great character. She is the exact opposite of Wren in almost every way. Wren is closed up, moody, and dark. Mary is outgoing, friendly, and happy. It becomes clear that Mary has sort of been enlisted in helping watch over Wren, but instead of resenting Wren for this, Mary chalks it up as part of her fellowship experience and accepts the situation gracefully. I really liked Mary. She was quirky, good natured and a ray of sunshine in Wren's dark little world.

Another secondary character that I fell for was Wren's dad. He's not so much in the beginning. But, blame it up to my art background, I really came to love him. Is he the perfect dad? No. Does he show his daughter unlimited amounts of attention? No. But he is there for her at a time when she needs it, and in a way that she needs it. Unobtrusive and unquestioning, Wren's dad doesn't demand things from her. He's content to let her heal at her own pace. And I have to say that I absolutely love that he is an artist. For me, there will always be something so appealing about the creative, distracted, self centered, sometimes tortured, soul of an artist.

In fact, I LOVED how art and poetry played a role in this book. It tied in so well with the setting of Maine deep in the heart of winter. The descriptions of the cold, snowy forests are SO beautiful and almost exotic and romantic to a Florida girl like me. Almost. I have family in western Pennsylvania and I can assure you that being stuck outside on a bitter cold winter's day, with your toes freezing inside your shoes and your ears aching from the wind, is not at all romantic:)

But what I loved most abut Lovely, Dark and Deep, aren't the fabulous characters, the beautiful setting, or even the lovely writing. I think what struck me most was the realistic portrayal of a person battling and eventually overcoming a traumatic and debilitating event in their life. The type of event that is life altering. Am I talking about Wren or am I talking about Cal? Maybe I am speaking about BOTH. And even though there are moments in this book that feel hopeless, there are many, many more that are just the opposite. I think that there is nothing better than reading a story of redemption, and Lovely, Dark and Deep is a beautiful example. I don't know what Amy McNamara is working on next, but I'll be reading it. ( )
  FlyleafHeather | Mar 11, 2013 |
Unfortunately, there is nothing lovely, dark or deep about this book. I have to admit, I picked it up because I thought the cover was beautiful. I know, I know... but I was hoping the content would live up to the stunning design of the book. Nope.

The main character, yeah, I cannot even remember her name, that's how fantastic the writing was, is involved in a tragic car accident her senior year of high school. (It was some type of bird...Robin? Wren? Wren! That's it.) Wren walks away from the wreck without a scratch, but her boyfriend is not so fortunate. This sends her into a semi catatonic state where she refuses to talk to anyone or participate in life at all. She moves in with her father in his rural North Eastern house on the coast where she lives in a seclusion for about a year. Then she meets a boy. Surprise! Boy drags her out of herself and she wonders how she would ever live with out him, blah, blah, blah. She is weak, dependent, and fragile and it takes a boy to save her. Like I haven't read that one a million times before. ( )
  RussianLoveMachine | Feb 23, 2013 |
More of my reviews can be found at my YA blog.

FIRST IMPRESSION:
The writing is worth reading. Not a whole lot happens at the start and you can tell that's going to be the atmosphere of the book -- Wren thinking about how depressed she is and possibly not doing anything about it. But the writing, the skill McNamara has, is worth reading regardless.

THE PLOT:
There's not one. Aside from Wren being wrecked and trying to unravel herself and get better. There's not a lot of forward motion. There's a lot of lamenting, of hitting a wall and not being able to get around it, and just ... depression. High moments. Low moments. The plot isn't why you'd read this book.

It took about a 100 pages for me to really get into something aside from the writing. By around page 150, I thought the story could wrap up nicely. The book is around 350 pages, so it doesn't. It just keeps going. There a lulls were the writing is all that kept the book in my hands, then there's action that makes me actually interested in the outcome. The story dragged near the end. I thought there were parts that could have been cut altogether to make it tighter and more ... eventful.

THE CHARACTERS:
They make the book worth while.
WREN is the main character, she's fragile, broken, and self-centered. She's not the most original character. I can think of a few other MCs just like her -- Claire from EMILY'S DRESS & OTHER MISSING THINGS or What's-her-name (I want to say ... Anne?) from REVOLUTION by Donnelly. They were both whirling from a lose, by mega-sad.

CAL is probably my favorite character in the story. He's unique, special, and always interesting. I felt for him and respected his strength.

MARY is my other favorite. She's such a unique, weird, artistic character that can drag even gloomy Wren out of herself. I was so sad when she left the story.

WREN'S DAD was someone I had a like-loath relationship with. Sometimes he was awesome, other times he'd say things that weren't so awesome -- borderline sexist remarks. Over all, I liked him.

WREN'S MOM was a bitch. I couldn't stand her. I was just hoping someone would punch her.

MEREDITH was ... ughhhhh inducing.

Even if I didn't like the characters, the fact that McNamara could make me feel so extreme about them was great.

THE ROMANCE:
This was another reason to read the story. Wren and Cal's weird little dance. I felt it more from Cal's side, and wanted it to work out for his sake. I knew that it was probably Wren's only chance of becoming someone again. Plus, it was a tragic romance and I love those. There's some hope that somehow everything will magically work out but ... with his sickness, you know it can't last forever.

THE WRITING
Completely and utterly the biggest reason I read this book. It was powerful and beautiful all at once. It made an otherwise already-been-there-done-that story different and lovely. Just like the title says, the writing is lovely, dark, and deep. McNamara has a talent for describing depression without being blatant about what it all means. How one moment Wren can have so much energy and the next she can't get herself out of bed.

CONCLUSION:
This book is going to stick with me. ( )
  jqtrotter | Feb 20, 2013 |
Amy McNamara's first novel Lovely, Dark and Deep is an emotional tale of a young girl's darkest hour following the tragic death of her high school boyfriend. Now a recluse in the northern reaches of Maine, McNamara's Wren Wells struggles to escape a vicious cycle of grief and despair that leaves her sanity hanging on by a thread. Desperately trying to remain buried deep within herself to avoid feeling anything at all, Wren is cut off from her family, friends and society and can't seem to find her way back. Quite unexpectedly, Wren is literally hit by the boy who will help her emerge from darkness.

Cal Owens, who is not without his own pain and baggage due to a recent MS diagnosis, enters the story just when the flicker of hope in Wren is about to be stamped out. Cal and Wren have an instant connection and the chemistry is there right from the start. Together, they are able to stay afloat and buoy each other against the harshness each faces. Cal forces Wren to feel again for the first time since her world was turned upside down. Without giving too much away, there isn't a story book ending with everything tied up in a pretty bow but I was left with a feeling of satisfaction. I appreciated the author finishing the story the way it began; raw and emotional.

The writing is beautiful and written in present tense which really helped me feel as if I was in the moment with Wren, Cal, and the other supporting characters. McNamara offers just the right amount of intensity and her character development and the pace of the novel is spot on. Lovely, Dark, and Deep is exactly that. Bravo on the cover art too! ( )
  Letstalkbooks | Jan 25, 2013 |
For Rynn
Be careful what you wish for.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 144243435X, Hardcover)

A resonant debut novel about retreating from the world after losing everything—and the connections that force you to rejoin it.

Since the night of the crash, Wren Wells has been running away. Though she lived through the accident that killed her boyfriend Patrick, the girl she used to be didn’t survive. Instead of heading off to college as planned, Wren retreats to her father’s studio in the far-north woods of Maine. Somehwere she can be alone.

Then she meets Cal Owen. Dealing with his own troubles, Cal’s hiding out too. When the chemistry between them threatens to pull Wren from her hard-won isolation, Wren has to choose: risk opening her broken heart to the world again, or join the ghosts who haunt her.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:21 -0400)

In the aftermath of a car accident that kills her boyfriend and throws her carefully planned future into complete upheaval, high school senior Wren retreats to the deep woods of Maine to live with the artist father she barely knows and meets a boy who threatens to pull her from her safe, hard-won exile.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,985,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible