Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz

Splendors and Glooms (edition 2012)

by Laura Amy Schlitz

Member:mcbisek
Title:Splendors and Glooms
Authors:Laura Amy Schlitz
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:children's fiction, fantasy, magic, orphans, puppets, England

Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz

Recently added byprivate library, cctesttc1, SCCCBL, duckwood, sunshinedrennon, COMLibrary, Siransi
    The Magicians of Caprona by Diana Wynne Jones (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Both magical fantasies in which children are turned into puppets.
    The Book Without Words: A Fable of Medieval Magic by Avi (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Folk Keeper (Jean Karl Books) by Franny Billingsley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these lyrical, richly composed and detailed fantasies are about steely, orphaned girls (and a close-knit boy) who battle menacing, magical figures for survival in a fully-reimagined England: Splendors in Victorian London, Folk Keeper, on a medieval-like English coast.… (more)
    The Toymaker by Jeremy De Quidt (HollyMS)
    A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama by Laura Amy Schlitz (HollyMS)
    The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell (HollyMS)

This book was entertaining and on track with the details and word choice. The characters Lizzie Rose, Parsefall, Grisini and Clara felt so realistic and the words this author used really brought each character and the setting to life. Clara feels lost in her family, the only one of her parent's children still alive. She wishes for a puppet master to do a show at her home for her birthday. The puppet master, Grisini, is mystical and very entertaining. He changes Clara into one of his puppets and her family is frantic to find her after her party. His assistants are two orphan children, Lizzie Rose and Parsefall. This book is all about the mystery of Grisini and a witch character and how the three children will or will not overcome the challenges they face. I would recommend this book for older middle school age kids who like a good mystery. I would have liked the story to have been a littler better paced, as it was slow at times. ( )
  sunshinedrennon | Feb 20, 2017 |
This is not a book I would have ever picked up to read, but since it was on the Mock Newbery October read, I did, and not with the best attitude. I wasn't a big fan of Good Masters, Sweet Ladies. But this writing was msterful. This is Newbery quality! The characters were so well developed. I felt I knew Lizzie Rose and Parsefall. It was creepy, yet a sweet story of love as well. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Took awhile to get into..... But not horrible once you get into it. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
Lizzie Rose and Parsefall are apprentices of a cruel puppet-master, Grisini. They are mistreated and miserable, but they have one bright afternoon--teatime with a little lonely rich girl. Then Clara goes missing and they are suspected of kidnapping her. When Grisini disappears as well, Lizzie Rose and Parsefall follow to find him in the home of a mysterious old woman. Cassandra has powerful sorceries, and the choice she offers the children could save them from Grisini's torments--or doom them for eternity.

I really enjoyed this. Each character is unique and memorable, and the problem they are set is at first dauntingly insurmountable. I liked that over time, they found ways to connect to each other and think their way out.

Although the main characters are young, their circumstances are grim and the nuances of their Victorian society probably difficult for equally young readers to understand. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
It's an odd thing to be a children's author who doesn't write for children. Odder still to give an award to a children's book no child will read. And yet. Ms. Schlitz is such an author and "Splendors and Glooms" is such a book. The only positive thing I can say is that this book is more accessible than her last "great" work "Good Masters, Sweet Ladies" but that isn't saying much. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |

Laura Amy Schlitzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ibatoulline, BagramCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Tom Brown,
who were with me every step of the way,
reading every chapter of every draft

And for Kevin Coll,
who rescued me in my darkest hour,
and told me that the magic bone is connected to the love bone.
The witch burned.

When Clara vanishes after the puppeteer Grisini and two orphaned assistants were at her twelfth birthday party, suspicion of kidnapping chases the trio away from London and soon the two orphans are caught in a trap set by Grisini's ancient rival, a witch with a deadly inheritance to shed before it is too late.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,644,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible