Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz

Splendors and Glooms (edition 2012)

by Laura Amy Schlitz

Member:mcbisek
Title:Splendors and Glooms
Authors:Laura Amy Schlitz
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:children's fiction, fantasy, magic, orphans, puppets, England

Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz

The Magicians of Caprona by Diana Wynne Jones (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Both magical fantasies in which children are turned into puppets.
    The Book Without Words: A Fable of Medieval Magic by Avi (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Folk Keeper by Franny Billingsley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these lyrical, richly composed and detailed fantasies are about steely, orphaned girls (and a close-knit boy) who battle menacing, magical figures for survival in a fully-reimagined England: Splendors in Victorian London, Folk Keeper, on a medieval-like English coast.… (more)
    The Toymaker by Jeremy De Quidt (Hollerama)
    A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama by Laura Amy Schlitz (Hollerama)
    The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell (Hollerama)

Narrated by Davina Porter. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I really like this one. It seems like it will be realistic but there is definitely a fantasy element that comes into play. Lizzie Rose and Parsefall are a couple of young poor children who the puppet master Grisini takes in. He is cruel to them but it beats living on the street and in the workhouses. Grisini is even more cruel to Clara. This is a dark tale that you have to read to the last chapter! I don't know that I'll ever look at puppets the same way. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Lizzie Rose and Parsefall are orphans who are the wards of Gaspare Grisini, master puppeteer and occasional thief. After performing their puppet act at a birthday party, the birthday girl disappears without a trace. The police suspect Grisini, but the the children know that the missing girl is not being held captive in their squalid rooms at a boarding house. Meanwhile, in the northern part of the country, an elderly witch realizes that she is doomed die by fire thanks to a curse on her magical phoenix opal, unless she can find Grisini and find out what he knows about escaping the fate of the curse. I was really drawn into this Gothic story set in Victorian England. I loved the characters, even the evil ones, and couldn't put the book down. The details of the puppetry was an interesting aspect of the story as were the themes of grief, guilt, and the relationship between family. I would definitely recommend this Newbery Honor Book. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
All Clara's siblings have died in an outbreak of Cholera. But the magic that seems to ooze off the puppet stage of Grisini makes her feel alive again in a house that has been mourning for too long. Clara is especially drawn to the children who travel with Grisini. Lizzie Rose and Parsefall seem so vivid. When Clara goes missing, it is up to Lizzie Rose and Parsefall to save her - and themselves - against the powers of evil magic. ( )
  librarykel604 | Jun 13, 2015 |
I loved the setting and the story's opening. The gruesome puppet master as slave driver to orphaned children in Victorian London was enthralling. The book had a pacing problem (for me) near the middle, and I had to slog it out to finish. Once the children leave London for the staid setting of a country mansion, the plot seemed to drag, and the resolution didn't live up to the conflict. ( )
  Sarah_Beaudette | Apr 13, 2015 |
For Susan and Tom Brown,
who were with me every step of the way,
reading every chapter of every draft

And for Kevin Coll,
who rescued me in my darkest hour,
and told me that the magic bone is connected to the love bone.
The witch burned.

When Clara vanishes after the puppeteer Grisini and two orphaned assistants were at her twelfth birthday party, suspicion of kidnapping chases the trio away from London and soon the two orphans are caught in a trap set by Grisini's ancient rival, a witch with a deadly inheritance to shed before it is too late.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,141,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible