Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz

Splendors and Glooms (edition 2012)

by Laura Amy Schlitz

Member:mcbisek
Title:Splendors and Glooms
Authors:Laura Amy Schlitz
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:children's fiction, fantasy, magic, orphans, puppets, England

Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz

The Magicians of Caprona by Diana Wynne Jones (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Both magical fantasies in which children are turned into puppets.
    The Book Without Words: A Fable of Medieval Magic by Avi (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Folk Keeper by Franny Billingsley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these lyrical, richly composed and detailed fantasies are about steely, orphaned girls (and a close-knit boy) who battle menacing, magical figures for survival in a fully-reimagined England: Splendors in Victorian London, Folk Keeper, on a medieval-like English coast.… (more)
    The Toymaker by Jeremy De Quidt (Hollerama)
    A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama by Laura Amy Schlitz (Hollerama)
    The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell (Hollerama)

BRCSBooks | Aug 15, 2014 |
This story starts off with a lot of set-up and for me that was a tad frustrating (which is why I only give it 4 stars). I knew that the story would take off once the action started happening, and it did. I love the characters, Clara, Lizzie Rose, and Parsefall. Each one has their own story and they are told beautifully throughout the main story of the kidnapping. It's a great story about being true to yourself and not getting stuck on your worries from the past. Very good book for both boys and girls - I would say from grades 5 and up. ( )
  Renee.Brandon | Jul 5, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this Victorian gothic novel about two orphans, a villainous puppetmaster, a little girl who is turned into a puppet, and an ultimately goodhearted witch. It has a reasonably good plot that unfolds slowly but relentlessly, great characters, and overall good writing that combine together into an excellent book.

(I listened to the audiobook which had excellent narration by Davina Porter.) ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
I can see why this won a Newbery honor, since it's extremely well written, but I have trouble imagining many actual middle schoolers reading this for pleasure. It's very Dickensian in nature; we see life for the poor, and life for the wealthy, with a truly despicable villain. The dash of magic is hugely important to the plot of course, but I read it mostly to be about class issues. The narrator, Davina Porter, was absolutely perfect and added to my enjoyment of the novel greatly—I'm not sure I'd have been able to get through it if I hadn't listened to it. ( )
1 vote Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |

Enthralling? Yes. Dark? Yes. Victorian? Yes, right down to the kind of grotesque mourning customs. Comic? Nope. Not at all. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
For Susan and Tom Brown,
who were with me every step of the way,
reading every chapter of every draft

And for Kevin Coll,
who rescued me in my darkest hour,
and told me that the magic bone is connected to the love bone.
The witch burned.

When Clara vanishes after the puppeteer Grisini and two orphaned assistants were at her twelfth birthday party, suspicion of kidnapping chases the trio away from London and soon the two orphans are caught in a trap set by Grisini's ancient rival, a witch with a deadly inheritance to shed before it is too late.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,963,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible