Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz

Splendors and Glooms (edition 2012)

by Laura Amy Schlitz

Member:mcbisek
Title:Splendors and Glooms
Authors:Laura Amy Schlitz
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Tags:children's fiction, fantasy, magic, orphans, puppets, England

Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz

The Magicians of Caprona by Diana Wynne Jones (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: Both magical fantasies in which children are turned into puppets.
    The Book Without Words: A Fable of Medieval Magic by Avi (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Folk Keeper by Franny Billingsley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these lyrical, richly composed and detailed fantasies are about steely, orphaned girls (and a close-knit boy) who battle menacing, magical figures for survival in a fully-reimagined England: Splendors in Victorian London, Folk Keeper, on a medieval-like English coast.… (more)
    The Toymaker by Jeremy De Quidt (Hollerama)
    A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama by Laura Amy Schlitz (Hollerama)
    The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell (Hollerama)

While this book was well written and fanciful, it wasn't quite my cup of tea. I read it because it's one of the Young Hoosier Book Award nominees and was highly commended for being a great book for middle readers. I won't deny it that, it's got a unique plot, memorable characters, and a sense of foreboding. The story follows two young orphans who are in the service of puppet master, Grisini. Grisini is a cruel, unlikable man, but little do they know that he dabbles in magic. When a young wealthy girl goes missing they wonder what his involvement can possibly be. They soon realize that things are not what they seem and they are in the middle of a decades old feud for power. Can the orphans help save the day, will they be able to tell right from wrong? ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 7, 2015 |
(6.0)
  mshampson | Oct 23, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Aug 15, 2014 |
This story starts off with a lot of set-up and for me that was a tad frustrating (which is why I only give it 4 stars). I knew that the story would take off once the action started happening, and it did. I love the characters, Clara, Lizzie Rose, and Parsefall. Each one has their own story and they are told beautifully throughout the main story of the kidnapping. It's a great story about being true to yourself and not getting stuck on your worries from the past. Very good book for both boys and girls - I would say from grades 5 and up. ( )
  Renee.Brandon | Jul 5, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this Victorian gothic novel about two orphans, a villainous puppetmaster, a little girl who is turned into a puppet, and an ultimately goodhearted witch. It has a reasonably good plot that unfolds slowly but relentlessly, great characters, and overall good writing that combine together into an excellent book.

(I listened to the audiobook which had excellent narration by Davina Porter.) ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
For Susan and Tom Brown,
who were with me every step of the way,
reading every chapter of every draft

And for Kevin Coll,
who rescued me in my darkest hour,
and told me that the magic bone is connected to the love bone.
The witch burned.

When Clara vanishes after the puppeteer Grisini and two orphaned assistants were at her twelfth birthday party, suspicion of kidnapping chases the trio away from London and soon the two orphans are caught in a trap set by Grisini's ancient rival, a witch with a deadly inheritance to shed before it is too late.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,298,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible