Frost (Volume 1) by Kate Avery Ellison

Frost (Volume 1) (edition 2012)

by Kate Avery Ellison

11935101,247 (3.96)None
Member:needtoreadgottowatch
Title:Frost (Volume 1)
Authors:Kate Avery Ellison
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 194 pages
Collections:Would Buy Print Copy, Would Buy As E-Book, Your library

Frost by Kate Avery Ellison

Children/YA (1) dystopia (1) ebook (3) fantasy (9) farm (1) fiction (5) forest (1) fugitive (1) Kindle (5) magic (1) monsters (2) mystery (1) Neve (1) oppression (1) orphans (1) own (1) quotas (1) read (1) recommended (1) science fiction (2) series (3) sff (1) thorns (1) to-read (19) unread (1) village (1) won (1) YA (3) YA Fantasy (1) young adult (5)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (rachelda)
    rachelda: The Hunger Games and Frost have a similar feel: both have a strong, young female narrator/protagonist and political/rebellious elements.

.Enjoyed this book. Unique plot surrounding Les Gabe and Adam. The story needs to continue is there a sequal out there. Does Gabe survive, do they see each other again. brilliantly discribed, the cold the danger their terror. need more. ( )
  Carmenmaranda | Apr 24, 2014 |
I received an electronic reviewer's copy of this book from the author via a LibraryThing giveaway in exchange for an honest review. (Originally posted on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/861165395?book_show_action=false)

Wow, I was genuinely surprised (and delighted) with how much I liked this book. I hadn't heard of it prior to seeing it available for a LibraryThing giveaway, but it sounded intriguing--and it didn't disappoint.

Overall, I really enjoyed the lyrical, evocative writing. Some of my favorite turns of phrase were from Chapter 2. Occasionally I noticed, in the middle chapters, that there was a tendency to overuse sentences of the following formula: shivers crawled down my spine/terror crept over me/etc. (those weren't quotes, but I remember once finding it slightly jarring that there were so many phrases of the like). But it didn't persist, and the end of the novel didn't jar me in that way. I also found the pacing appropriate, and I was actually a huge fan of the world-building. I loved that, in a relatively short fantasy novel, I still felt like I was getting a good sense of the world the characters were living in, and I loved that it never felt like I was being force-fed large draughts of information about it--I honestly felt like I was getting to discover it slowly, comfortably, enjoyably on my own.

I also really loved the characters. Generally believable and interesting, and you get an idea that you know what's driving each one forward, though sometimes I did feel like I wanted more (what Lia and Cole's friendship had been like, for example--there must have been a reason he liked her, and she had to like him at least a little bit, at least in a friendly way, right?). Adam interested me the most off the bat--complex, well-drawn.

The romance, too, was simple--and at times slightly dramatic for me (but I like romances to be really, really subtle, especially in the beginning stages), when they had barely met and Lia already started thinking she might have feelings for Gabe. But overall, still really tasteful, simple, and sweet. I enjoyed it a lot.

Some typos throughout, but overall fairly cleanly proofread; not enough to greatly detract from reading. As a sidenote, I really, really love the names that Ellison chose--such beautiful names, both for characters and places. And I really liked the simple yet descriptive names she chose for various elements of Frost lore--Watchers, Farthers, etc. Sometimes overly technological/convoluted/complex/silly sounding names, especially in sci-fi, make it really hard for me to follow along seriously.

I definitely want to read on for the rest of the series, as well as The Curse Girl. I'll be looking out for Ellison's work from now on.

P.S. I'm so sad that I happened to just miss the Kindle Daily Deal special on the Frost Chronicles! If only I had finished this book one day earlier. Alas... ( )
  elephantine | Mar 17, 2014 |
Lia Weaver lives in the icy, monster-plagued land of the Frost. Monsters kill her parents, so she must keep the family farm running. Dangers surround her, but then she decides to save the life of a stranger who turns out to be a fugitive from people the denizens of the Frost call Farthers. This is the saga of Lia's efforts to help him escape despite her falling in love with him.

In my opinion, this is a well conceived, though simplistic coming-of-age story. There are parallels with the hiding of Jews and PoW escapees in WW2 and assisting them to escape the country. I would recommend this book to young adults. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | Mar 7, 2014 |
In the remote, wintery world of the Frost, cold is not the only danger the few inhabitants must face. The forest is also full of terrible monsters that could attack at any time. On her isolated farm, Lia struggles to provide for her two siblings and keep them safe-- a goal that is seriously jeopardized when she finds herself harboring a fugitive from outside the Frost.

Frost is a fast-paced, suspenseful novel, full of mystery and intrigue. Perhaps the novel's greatest strength, however, is its detailed setting. The author has clearly put a lot of thought into the world of the Frost and how the environment has influenced the culture of the people living there. This, in turn, is seamlessly tied in with the plot. The novel also offers a small but well-crafted cast of characters, led by a strong, relateable heroine. Character development was believable and substantial, although perhaps a bit rushed. Readers should note that this is the first installment in a series. The subsequent books build on the characters and continue the plot lines introduced in Frost. And this novel certainly left me wishing for more!

Anyone looking for a quick, absorbing and exciting read would like this book. It should not be underestimated due to its length; though short, it is well-written and intelligent. ( )
  ginette211 | Mar 6, 2014 |
Frost is without a doubt one of the most enthralling books I have ever read. A dystopian novel set in an icy cold climate about a recently orphaned young woman named Lia, struggling to take care of her crippled twin brother and younger sister on a farm at the edge of their tiny, isolated village surrounded by forests filled with terrifying beings called Watchers who prowl the night and kill without mercy.

Complications arise when Lia's younger sister Ivy finds a young injured foreigner in the woods behind their farm. The decision to help him quickly turns their lives upside down, as they attempt to hide his existence from the rest of the village, and begin to uncover terrible secrets.

The first novel in a series, Frost is a fast paced and exciting story that grabs ahold of you and doesn't let go for one second. If you enjoy stories such as Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games series, this is definitely a series you will love. ( )
  Lexiant | Mar 1, 2014 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible