Playing the Royal Game (Harlequin Presents)…

Playing the Royal Game (Harlequin Presents) (edition 2012)

by Carol Marinelli

Member:DonnaMcBroomTheriot
Title:Playing the Royal Game (Harlequin Presents)
Authors:Carol Marinelli
Info:Harlequin (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****

Playing the Royal Game by Carol Marinelli

Allegra Jackson refuses advances from her boss and she is terminated. She desperately searches for another job, and this leads to a chance meeting with Prince Alessandro Santina. She absentmindedly wanders into a private club to sit and gather her thoughts and is later confronted by a waitress for not signing in. Prince Alessandro, or Alex, as he calls himself, steps in to save her from embarrassment. He is very somber himself because he is being forced to return to Santina to get married and fulfill his royal duties. After some honest conversation about each of their predicaments, Alex wants Allegra to agree to pretend to be his fiance in order to have an excuse to break off his arranged marriage, allowing him a little more time to accomplish his personal goals in London. Then after a short period of time, they could break the engagement. He would pay her handsomely to do so, which would alleviate the burdens she faced being unemployed. It seems like a good idea....at first. By the next morning Allegra is experiencing regrets but the Prince makes it perfectly clear that it is already too late to change her mind when they are all over the media. Her regrets only get stronger as one thing after another goes totally opposite from what the Prince had planned, and Allegra's tabloid headline grabbing family get mixed in the deal. The struggle to merge their worlds, overcome standards and expectations to be their own person, and of course falling in love along the way, makes a great story.

Playing The Royal Game is a delightful distraction from every day reality. This modern day fairy tale is just whimsical enough to draw you in, but not too far over the top. I enjoyed the read. I was given this book for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  TinaMarieSays | Oct 30, 2013 |
Playing the Royal Game by Carol Marinelli
4 STARS

Playing the Royal Game is the last book in the The Santina Crown series I believe. It is the first one I have read and now I wish I had read the others. They sound interesting and fun.
Allegra Jackson was having a rotten day. She has been looking for work and after having no luck entered a bar and decided to have a bottle of champagne. She was fired because the boss wanted personal favors from her.
Prince Alessandro Santina runs his own company. He is engaged at home in a arranged marriage that he does not want. When the waitress had just come to realize that Allegra was not signed in at the private club was going to kick her out when Alex stepped in.
Alex got the idea if she played his fiance and it would break off the one his father set in place. Then after a few days or weeks when the public cry out because Allegra is not suitable they will end thier relationship and Alex can stay in England longer running his buisness. He will pay her a lot of money for the job.
Allegra could than right the truthful story about her father exfootball player.
She agrees then everything goes wrong with thier plans. Alex's people love Allegra.
His father the King of Santina wants an engagement party thrown right away and thier wedding date annouced.
It is a fun charming story. With a lot of characters that I think have had thier own stories told in the former books of the series.
I was glad that Allegra stood up for her family and for what she wants to do.
I was given this ebook to read in exchange for honest reviews from Netgalley.
Publisher: Harlequin Presents (December 1, 2012) ISBN: 0373131089 186 pages ( )
  rhonda1111 | Dec 3, 2012 |
This was such a cute book, and such an easy read. From the moment an unsuspecting young girl agrees to become the pretend fiancé of a real-life-prince, the roller coaster of life takes over and the twists and turns do not stop until the last page.

“She looked at the card and then back to him, to liquid brown eyes and the smile that was, frankly, dangerous. There was a confidence to him, an air of certainty – and she knew in that moment why he was so completely successful.”

Looking back, the book reminds me a little of the American T.V. show, The Beverly Hillbillies; country come to town, with characters that rival Ellie Mae and Jethro Clampet.

“I have been told I am to return and fulfill my duties.” She could not have known just how many times she would replay that moment – could never have guessed how often she would look back…”

On one hand, you have the stiff upper crust of the ruling monarchy, and on the other hand, you have the playboy father and a handful of fun-loving siblings that do nothing but set the world on fire. Add to the mix, loads of misunderstandings, and you have a page-turner that you won’t want to put down.

“I told him they were my favourite Jimmy Choios and he just looked at me blankly, which just goes to show that men are from Mars and women are from Bloomingdale’s. Please tell me you picked them up – they’re the ones with the tiny bow that you borrowed…”

What I liked about the book? I really enjoyed the storyline. It was a romance with loads of normalcy thrown in to a fantasy. It is about the differences of the families that people have to find a way to negotiate when they fall in love. I like a book that offers a laugh or too and this book did exactly that.

“Did you enjoy last night?” Zoe (the queen) enquired. “I can’t remember it yet,” Bobby (the bride’s father) answered, and he started to laugh. After a brief moment Zoe found herself laughing too, though it faded when he continued. “I don’t think my speech went down too well. I didn’t even get to finish…” “We’re not really used to impromptu speeches.”

What I didn’t like about the book? Off hand, I really can’t think of anything I didn’t care for. Again, I enjoyed the humor mixed in with the romance.

“As the royal newlyweds entered and the doors closed behind them, there was a feeling of relief. The day had gone brilliantly, the night…well, who knew but tonight old money and new would mingle.”

The technical side? I felt the book was well written with thought out characters and plots, and it flowed well. The book offered a variety of characters from one end of the spectrum to another, and somehow it joined to give the reader an enjoyable read. ( )
  DonnaMcBroomTheriot | Nov 17, 2012 |

"It seemed like every girl's dream: fall in love with a prince and be whisked off for your very own glamorous happy-ever-after--a royal fairy tale for Allegra Jackson and Prince Alessandro Santina. Allegra's headline-grabbing family hardly prepared her for a life of public duty, and sinfully delicious Prince Alessandro has always seemed virtually allergic to the idea of settling down in Santa Maria. Out of all the flamboyant, beautiful women his name's been linked with, the heir to the throne picked ordinary Allegra with the family from hell ... . Is everything really as it seems regarding the tabloid's engagement of the year?"--Publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,401,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible