The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng

The Garden of Evening Mists (edition 2012)

by Tan Twan Eng

Info:Weinstein Books (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Booker Prize, Japan, Malaya, WWII, POW, Aging, Neurology, Aphasia, Tattoos

The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng

Recently added byprivate library, expatscot, dmenon90, TLHelen, ShyPageSniffer, weiling, Chris-86, cathyowen
    The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (CGlanovsky)
    Black Oxen by Elizabeth Knox (lottpoet)
    The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Non-linear storytelling. Post-colonial novel. Deals with a period of political unrest.

Judge T... is retiring and returning to a place where she spent much time as a young woman. Although born in Malaysia, she is Chinese and was held as a prisoner of war in a Japanese camp during the war between China and Japan. After the war in which her sister who was with her died, she goes on to become a judge. Now years later and diagnosed with a neurological order which will take her memory, she is returning to Yugiri where she spent time as a young woman and had a love relationship with Aritomo, a Japanese gardener.

Teoh Yun Ling met Aritomo because she wanted to have him build a Japanese garden for her in memory of her sister who perished during the war. Teoh when she was young lived with the Magnus Pretorius and his wife Emily and their nephew, Frederik. The Pretorius family owned the Mujuba Tea Estate and had many natives working for them. Aritomo lived on the property because he and Magnus were friends when younger.

Much of the story involves Japanese gardening with a strange twist to the Japanese art of tattoo called horimono, a tattoo which covers much of the body. A man who is interested in Aritomoto's wood carvings comes to visit Teoh and tells her that Aritomoto was also a horimono artist which she already knows because her back has been tattooed by him. However, she has never told anyone of this.

The story is interesting, but at times tends to drag somewhat. Much happens, complicated: war, Japanese gardens, tattoos, tea, prison camp. ( )
  maryreinert | May 4, 2015 |
This book really fell flat for me . . . it had beautifully written passages, but ultimately I felt there was something just too contrived and "precious" about it. The main character is the sole survivor of a WWII Japanese prison camp in what was British Malaysia; her lifelong grief and quest to honor the memory of her sister (who did not survive) frames the narrative. ( )
  LizHD | Mar 25, 2015 |
A brutal story of murder rape and revenge, characterised by embittered exiles in war torn Asia, or a beautiful story of memory, loss and rediscovery, through the making of a Japanese garden under the tutelage of an artist and master with a foot in the Floating World. When I chose this book for my book club to read I was influenced by reviews that describe the book as haunting, exquisite, lyrical and a magical experience and so I was a little unprepared for the violence that permeates this story; it made me wonder if modern day readers are so inured by violence on their TV screens that it fades into the background when it is thrust into their consciousness by a novel such as The Garden of Evening Mists.

The hero of this story is the tired old trope of an inscrutable master from an eastern culture who takes under his wing a pupil who learns to appreciate beauty and love(sex) through his harsh but patient tutelage. Aritomo is the Japanese master gardener and tattoo artist that floats through this novel and seems to have a presence that can charm all around him (even the communist insurgents that are killing nearly everybody else). His pupil is Yun Ling a survivor of a Japanese internment death camp and it is she who tells the (her) story in the first person. It is no surprise that the author Tan Twan Eng is male, because Yun Ling is so totally unconvincing, however Tan Twan Eng covers his tracks brilliantly by having her suffer from a disease that is eating away at her memory while she tells her story.

Yes we are in fantasy land here, but I think Tan Twan Eng wants us to believe his story, because he anchors it with real events for example the killing of Sir Henry Gurney in 1951, the British colonial administrator who was ambushed by communist insurgents in Malaya. Historical fiction given a veneer of realism that I find just a little false.

OK these are just my thoughts on an extensively reviewed novel here on LT. Read other reviews for an appreciation of a beautifully written book that is imaginative and well paced. Themes of loss and memory, of coming to terms with a violent past and a present that seems to be shifting away from under us are thought provoking and well explored. The book has a seductive quality and I loved the descriptions of the making of the garden, but for goodness sake don’t take it all too seriously. 3.5 stars. ( )
1 vote baswood | Feb 6, 2015 |
It is Mayla, 1951, and Yun Lin Teoh is the lone survivor of a brutal Japanese prison camp. Despite her hatred of the Japanese, she has come to the gardens of Aritomo, once the gardener of the emperor. She wants him to design a garden in memory of her sister who died in the prison camp. ( )
  creighley | Feb 4, 2015 |
Brought to my attention by a patron who told me it was "the best book I've ever read". I don't feel that effusive about this book but will agree that it is an involving historical fiction title. The complicated territory -- Malaysia after WW II, with South African, Japanese, Chinese and British main characters -- parallels the complicated emotional territory. Maybe I have read too much about survival in war time, but in this case, I wasn't drawn in. Didn't feel that the male author donned his main female character with enough understanding and resonance. ( )
  StaffReads | Oct 30, 2014 |
The language is as lush as the landscape he seeks to describe. His prose is punctuated with clever imagery; in reuniting with Teoh, Eng brilliantly describes Frederick's wry reaction "A smile skims across his face, capsizing an instant later."

Though on the whole the descriptive narrative was attractive, at times more concision might have saved it from becoming overwrought, as in my view it was, and rather frustratingly holding back what was otherwise a compelling and unique story.

As in his first novel, The Gift of Rain, Tan employs exotic settings and mystical aspects of Japanese culture to drive his narrative. But this time the effect is darker. Aritomo's mastery of the art of shakkei - "Borrowed Scenery" - initially seems enlightened, but as we come to question his true motives for absconding to this obscure backwater, it appears increasingly deceptive.
Though later plot elements surrounding a search for buried wartime treasure do not always complement the atmosphere Tan has carefully constructed, this is a beautiful, dark and wistful exploration of loss and remembrance that, appropriately, will stay with you long after reading.

This novel ticks many boxes: its themes are serious, its historic grounding solid, its structure careful, its old-fashioned ornamentalism respectable. The reason I found it impossible to love is the quality of the writing. There is no discernible personality in the dutiful, dull voice of Yun Ling, and non-events stalk us on every page: "for a timeless moment I looked straight into his eyes"; "For a long while he does not say anything. Finally he begins to speak in a slow, steady voice." The self-conscious dialogue resembles a history lesson collated for the benefit of the western reader, and everything is ponderously "like" something else, so it takes twice as long: "We were like two moths around a candle, circling closer and closer to the flames, waiting to see whose wings would catch fire first." Despite the dramatic events, the overall effect is one of surprising blandness, like something you've read before.

This is a good old-fashioned story with a plot that arcs gracefully, maintains suspense, and stays true to characterisation. Yun Ling’s independent spirit and her anger seep like ink-stains into the narrative, but its distilled essence is a quieter appraisal of the dichotomy of memory, its treacherous failures, its cruel conveniences, its fadeout and deliverance. Outside Magnus’s house are two statues—one is of Mnemosyne the goddess of memory and the other is of her twin sister, the goddess of forgetting, whose name, of course, has been forgotten.

Here, too, the garden is the conceit. “A garden borrows from the earth, the sky, and everything around it, but you borrow from time,” Yun Ling accuses Aritomo, “Your memories are a form of shakkei too. You bring them in to make your life here feel less empty. Like the mountains and the clouds over your garden, you can see them, but they will always be out of reach.” The garden that Yun Ling intends to make is about more than a desire to preserve the memory of her sister, though, for in many ways, it was the idea of this garden that kept the sisters hopeful through their long internment. The Japanese garden, with its many deceptions and beauties, becomes a well-formed metaphor for the ways in which our lives are lived.

Aritomo, the enigmatic former gardener to the Emperor of Japan who glides through Tan Twan Eng’s second novel, tells his female apprentice in the Cameron Highlands of early-1950s Malaya that “Every aspect of gardening is a form of deception”.

Just the same applies, you might argue, to the art of fiction, with its incomplete points-of-view and deceptive trompe d’oeil vistas. Tan’s story here is just as elegantly planted as his Man Booker-long listed debut The Gift of Rain, and even more tantalisingly evocative.

Suffused with a satisfying richness of colour and character, it still abounds in hidden passageways and occult corners. Mysteries and secrets persist. Tan dwells often on the borderline states, the in between areas, of Japanese art: the archer’s hiatus before the arrow speeds from the bow; the patch of skin that a master of the horimono tattoo will leave bare; or the “beautiful and sorrowful” moment “just as the last leaf is about to drop”.
added by kidzdoc | editThe Independent, Boyd Tonkin (Apr 28, 2012)

Tan Twan Engprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bentinck, AnnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a goddess of Memory, Mnemosyne; but none of Forgetting. Yet there should be, as they are twin sisters, twin powers, and walk on either side of us, disputing for sovereignty over us and who we are, all the way until death.

Richard Holmes, A Meander Through Memory and Forgetting
For my sister

And

Opgedra aan A J Buys — sonder jou sou hierdie boek dubbel so lank en halfpad so goed wees. Mag jou eie mooi taal altyd gedy.
On a mountain above the clouds once lived a man who had been the gardener of the Emperor of Japan.
Memory is like patches of sunlight in an overcast valley, shifting with the movement of the clouds. Now and then the light will fall on a particular point in time, illuminating it for a moment before the wind seals up the gap, and the world is in shadows again.

Malaya, 1951. Yun Ling Teoh, the scarred lone survivor of a brutal Japanese wartime camp, seeks solace among the jungle-fringed tea plantations of Cameron Highlands. There she discovers Yugiri, the only Japanese garden in Malaya, and its owner and creator, the enigmatic Aritomo, exiled former gardener of the emperor of Japan. Despite her hatred of the Japanese, Yun Ling seeks to engage Aritomo to create a garden in memory of her sister, who died in the camp. Aritomo  refuses but agrees to accept Yun Ling as his apprentice "until the  monsoon comes." Then she can design a garden for herself.

As the months pass, Yun Ling finds herself intimately drawn to the gardener and his art. while all around them a communist guerilla war rages. But the Garden of Evening Mists remains a place of mystery. Who is Aritomo and how did he come to leave Japan? And is the real story of how Yun Ling managed to survive the war perhaps the darkest secret of all?

"Malaya, 1951. Yun Ling Teoh, the scarred lone survivor of a brutal Japanese wartime camp, seeks solace among the jungle-fringed tea plantations of Cameron Highlands. There she discovers Yugiri, the only Japanese garden in Malaya, and its owner and creator, the enigmatic Aritomo, exiled former gardener of the emperor of Japan. Despite her hatred of the Japanese, Yun Ling seeks to engage Aritomo to create a garden in memory of her sister, who died in the camp. Aritomo refuses but agrees to accept Yun Ling as his apprentice "until the monsoon comes." Then she can design a garden for herself. As the months pass, Yun Ling finds herself intimately drawn to the gardener and his art, while all around them a communist guerilla war rages. But the Garden of Evening Mists remains a place of mystery. Who is Aritomo and how did he come to leave Japan? And is the real story of how Yun Ling managed to survive the war perhaps the darkest secret of all?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,032,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible