Star Wars: The Truce at Bakura by Kathy…

Star Wars: The Truce at Bakura (edition 1993)

by Kathy Tyers (Author)

Series: Star Wars Novels (4 ABY), Star Wars

The Alliance intercepts a call for help from a far-flung Imperial outpost, and Luke Skywalker has a vision, with the message that he must go there or risk losing everything the Rebels have fought for.
Member:OJSB
Title:Star Wars: The Truce at Bakura
Authors:Kathy Tyers (Author)
Info:Random House Audio (1993)
Collections:Read but unowned

The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers

Date approximate
  fmc712 | Feb 18, 2021 |
I'm not going to lie. I couldn't stand this book. Between all the personal drama that seemed to happen when people should have been focused on the very real approaching threat, and Luke's weakened body that kept interfering with the awesome Jedi skills he had developed by Episode VI, I found a lot to dislike about this book. It felt like a mediocre, ordinary scifi book rather than a Star Wars novel. ( )
  book_lady15 | Apr 3, 2020 |
scifi
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The Emperor is dead, but the Empire lives on. Luke, Leia, and Han go to a planet that I assume is named Bakura, where they try to convince the Imperial governers to surrender. Luke falls in love and tries to save a boy who is talented in the Force but controlled by evil. But what I really remember is that Luke is infected by parasites that everyone *knows* will kill him, but he fights them off with the Force and then, in a dramamtic moment that I remember to this day, appears to confront his former enemies. One of them shoots at him, he ducks, and then (barely holding himself together after all his adventures and fighting off the infection) he slowly presses upward and stands again, like a "lithe grey shadow." At least ten years later I remember specific lines from this scene. For some reason it made a huge impression upon me. For the Luke scenes alone, I recommend reading this book in addition to the rightfully ubiquitously recommended Zahn trilogy. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This novel, which takes place pretty much right after the events of Episode VI, finds our heroes rushing to the aid of the planet Bakura, which has been under Imperial control and now finds itself under the threat of the Ssi-ruuk, an alien species who want to harness human souls to power small fighter droids. Luke and Leia are dealing with the death of their father (in very different ways), Han is trying to romance Leia amidst political intrigue and fighting, and Luke is learning to fully master his use of the Force. While the events of this book are interesting, I did not connect fully with the story - probably because I kept having to stop reading for long periods of time due to being busy with work and other things. I hope that as I continue to move through the Star Wars novels they become more interesting and engaging. ( )
  kaylaraeintheway | Dec 25, 2015 |

Tyers, Kathyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Struzan, DrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, Jamie S. WarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

I can't think of Star Wars without remembering the opening fanfare from its soundtrack. I can't imagine an Imperial Star Destroyer's long, triangular silhouette without hearing ominous triplet rhythms. And who can picture the Mos Eisley cantina without that inimitable jazz band?
It is with grateful admiration that I dedicate this novel to the man who composed the musical scores for the three Star Wars movies:
John Williams
Above a dead world, one habitable moon hung suspended like a cloud-veiled turquoise.

No sooner has Darth Vader's funeral pyre burned to ashes on Endor than the Alliance faces a new challenge at the far-flung Imperial outpost of Bakura. The Ssi-ruuk, a race of cold-blooded reptilian invaders, plan to enslave human minds to pilot their invincible machines of war and destruction. With the hope of turning Bakura's loyalties toward the fledgling New Republic with defensive aid, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia race to the besieged planet. Yet, as the eve of the final onslaught rapidly approaches, Rebel and Imperial forces still must come to terms with each other. And there is already evidence of a traitor hidden in their midst....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,523,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible