Double Cross by Ben Macintyre

Double Cross (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Ben Macintyre

Member:Carolinejyoung
Title:Double Cross
Authors:Ben Macintyre
Info:Bloomsbury UK (2012), Hardcover, 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**

Double Cross: The True Story of the D-Day Spies by Ben Macintyre (2012)

Agent Zigzag, by this same author, is one of my favorite WWII nonfiction books. This one had some interesting parts, but overall, it was not as engaging and lacked the same flow of Agent Zigzag. I loved that MI5 had a secret falconer and falcons to intercept Abwer pigeons until the falcons all went AWOL! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 22, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 22, 2016 |
Fascinating characters and story. Well written whether describing complex schemes, eccentric people, or military plans.

P.S. The number of people and webs of deceit were occasionally overwhelming, and therefore I recommend the book (vs. only audio) version, since it also include photos of people. I was very grateful not to be a spy handler after reading this. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
This is an extremely well researched historical story about the preparation for the invasion of Europe through France near the end of World war 2. In order to have the Germans believe that the invasion would take place near Calais rather than Normandy, a very elaborate scheme was set in motion to turn German spies into British spies and feed false information to the enemy command. It was highly successful in part due to the gullibility of the Germans and the competence of the agents to lead a double life. The story centres around five spies in particular who are unique because of their other
Skills at acting, womanizing, spending money and living a duplicitous life. The build up to DDay is tense and suspenseful.
My problem with the story is at many times I lost track of who was who and who was doing what. The post DDay story is a bit of let down as the story ends quite abruptly with a summary of what happened to the main characters. ( )
  MaggieFlo | Aug 25, 2015 |
Entertaining though digressive follow-up to Macintyre's "Operation Mincemeat," a wickedly ingenious deception that helped mislead the Nazis during World War II. "Double Cross" ostensibly focuses on the five people who were feeding the Germans intelligence about Allied operations, and thus were in a position to help conceal the real target of D-Day. I say ostensibly because this book not only hops around from one double agent to the other (which is itself discombobulating), but contains so many personality sketches of too many supporting characters and even devotes more time than necessary to schemes involving pigeons (yes, pigeons) and to speculations about the Germans who were conspiring to assassinate Hitler. I also thought some of Macintyre's claims about various motivations and consequences aren't necessarily borne out by the available evidence (something I've become more sensitive too after reading Jill Lepore's carefully-researched histories). Still enjoyable as long as you keep looking up who's who and taking some of the grander assertions with a grain of salt. ( )
  bostonian71 | May 11, 2015 |
Tangle within tangle, plot and counter-plot, ruse and treachery, cross and double-cross, true agent, false agent, double agent, gold and steel, the bomb, the dagger and the firing party, were interwoven in many a texture so intricate as to be incredible and yet true. - Winston Churchill
The enemy must not know where I intend to give battle. For if he does not know where I intend to give battle he must prepare in a great many places. And when he prepares in a great many places, those I have to fight in any one place will be few. And when he prepares everywhere he will be weak everywhere. - Sun Tzu
For Callum, Pablo, Minnie, and Wilf
(Preface) In the summer of 1943, a genteel and soft-spoken intelligence officer wearing tartan trousers and smoking a pipe put the finishing touches to a secret weapon he had been working on for more than three years.
Dusko and Johnny were friends.

Recounts the story of the six double agents--Bronx, Brutus, Treasure, Tricycle and Garbo--who would weave a web of deception so intricate that it ensnared Hitler's army and helped to carry thousands of troops across the Channel in safety on 6 June 1944, D-Day.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 1,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible