Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth,…

Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect… (2012)

by R.A. Dickey

Other authors: Wayne R. Coffey

1241097,109 (4)10

I'm probably bias because I'm a huge Mets fan. Ever since the first time I watched Dickey pitch for the Mets I wanted to root for him and this book made me want to root for him twice as much. The R.A. on the mound looks like a complex and hard working guy and this book allowed me to see so much more. He is beyond hard working, to an extreme I didn't know existed. It is not the best written biography I have ever read, but it is honest and as the title states, authentic. What was nice about this bio was that we knew their was sexual abuse, an affair, therapy, etc but I didn't have to sift through all the truly personal details that should remain personal. What I think is just fantastic is reading this book and seeing how AMAZING R.A. is doing right now. As I write this he is 11-1 with a lot of the season left to go. He is just dominating right now and in the best position of his career. I am so happy for him because I know where he came from to get where he is now. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
I am a big fan of R.A. Dickey and find his story inspiring, but this book is, unfortunately, not. The first half of the book, I was encouraged that this would be somehow different than other baseball books, but somewhere along the way things degenerated again into predictable cliche and flat writing. ( )
  Caryn.Rose | Mar 18, 2015 |
A book that made a major impression on me. I was amazed at the story and events that make up R.A. Dickey. A devout Christian, Dickey describes how his calling from God has helped him on his journey through life and baseball. Baseball fans will love this book, but this book also has life messages for everyone. One of the more inspiring books you will ever read. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 10, 2014 |

R.A. Dickeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coffey, Wayne R.secondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The Glass Castle meets Ball Four as Mets knuckleballer R.A. Dickey weaves searing honesty and baseball insight in this memoir about his unlikely journey to the big leagues.

An English Lit major at the University of Tennessee, Dickey is as articulate and thoughtful as any professional athlete in any sport-and proves it page after page, as he provides fresh and honest insight into baseball and a career unlike any other. Fourteen years ago, Dickey was a heralded No. 1 draft choice of the Texas Rangers, only to have an $810,000 signing bonus, and his lifelong dream, ripped away by an X- ray-and the discovery that he did not have an ulna collateral ligament in his right elbow. Five years ago, he gave up a record six home runs in three innings to the Detroit Tigers-and was effectively consigned to the baseball scrap heap.

Sustained by his profound Christian faith, the love of his wife and children, and a relentless quest for self-awareness and authenticity, the immensely likable Dickey details his transformation from a reckless, risk-taking loner to a grounded, life- affirming big leaguer. He emerged as one of the premier pitchers in the National League in 2010-and the knuckleballing embodiment of the wonders that perseverance and human wisdom can produce. Dickey views his story as one of redemption. Readers will come to see it as something more-a uniquely American story of beating back demons, listening to your heart, and overcoming extraordinary odds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

"A memoir written by baseball pitcher R.A. Dickey"--

43 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,252,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible