Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth,…

Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect… (2012)

by R.A. Dickey

Other authors: Wayne R. Coffey

Whether or not you are a baseball fan, don't expect great insights into the game from Dickey, although you might learn a few things about knuckleballs and knuckleball pitchers. The real story is Dickey and his persistent slog toward healing of childhood trauma, sexual abuse, and his own very typical but unhealthy ways of dealing with his past. Whatever you think of Dickey as a pitcher, you will come to admire him as a human being, a man who keeps moving forward and is honest enough to tell his painful story. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
I got this book as a "I'm a Mets fan" conversation starter, (this was before he got traded, lol-- I saw the story on the cover of the paper in the convenience store, and now Wikipedia has confirmed that he is, now, in fact "Blue Jay Dickey"-- although his picture is still of him as a Met, since it is, after all, December), and it's a little odd to think of how many times I used it as a conversation piece, now that I've actually paged through it a little bit. It's very long.... and not very interesting. A little boring, at times. He said that he remembers details well. He does. But he's also boring.

Maybe he should have just stuck with being a pitcher.... and for all their sociological differences, I can't help but be reminded of Sheldon Cooper, (who's on TBS every freackin' night)-- you're actually better at being boring, Sheldon. Maybe you should have stuck with that.

And now it is, by sheer dumb luck, not really a piece of contemporary Mets memorabilia anymore.... Hello, Goodbye....

"I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello.... You say why, and I say I don't know...."

The next time I get a biography, it's going to be about a Beatle.

(7/10) ( )
  Tullius22 | Dec 28, 2012 |
A sometimes heart-wrenching but uplifting story of the New York Mets pitcher who struggled his way from the minors to the majors. ( )
  jstarkes | Oct 23, 2012 |
More than a baseball book, Dickey's memoir is the story of perseverance, faith, overcoming adversity in both his personal and professional life, and finally, redemption. Dickey, currently a starting pitcher with the New York Mets and the only knuckleball pitcher still practicing the craft, pulls no punches in examining and sharing the traumatic events in his life, from his rough childhood through his early successes on a baseball field, through the years he was mired in the minor leagues, and finally, to success.

A child of divorce and the son of an alcoholic mother and an increasingly distant father, Dickey suffered sexual abuse when he was eight at the hands of a babysitter and a teen boy he encountered one fateful day, resulting in shame he locked away deep inside him and never shared for decades. Reckless acts, deep bouts of doubt and lack of confidence, he has only the love of his wife and his faith in God to sustain him, until thoughts of suicide lead him to finally seek therapy. He's been on a painful, yet incredible journey and I was a bit teary-eyed by the end of the book.

Dickey majored in English lit at college and it shows in the prose. He's an articulate athlete and the story he has to share is compelling. Even if you're not a baseball or sports fan, you might want to give this a try. Baseball is only the backdrop for a very human story. ( )
  ShellyS | Jun 28, 2012 |
I loved this book! R.A. Dickey is a humble guy who shares his struggles with his job and family, and how he was able to overcome his fears and shortcomings to achieve a level of success. He sought counseling for his personal traumas and additional training to perfect his knuckleball, all while developing his faith in God. Not everybody is willing to admit this.

It was fun to read a story about a sports player who is not a big superstar on the field, but who has accomplished great things in his life. His story is one that many people can relate to, and can find hope and encouragement. ( )
  meacoleman | May 24, 2012 |

R.A. Dickeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coffey, Wayne R.secondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The Glass Castle meets Ball Four as Mets knuckleballer R.A. Dickey weaves searing honesty and baseball insight in this memoir about his unlikely journey to the big leagues.

An English Lit major at the University of Tennessee, Dickey is as articulate and thoughtful as any professional athlete in any sport-and proves it page after page, as he provides fresh and honest insight into baseball and a career unlike any other. Fourteen years ago, Dickey was a heralded No. 1 draft choice of the Texas Rangers, only to have an $810,000 signing bonus, and his lifelong dream, ripped away by an X- ray-and the discovery that he did not have an ulna collateral ligament in his right elbow. Five years ago, he gave up a record six home runs in three innings to the Detroit Tigers-and was effectively consigned to the baseball scrap heap.

Sustained by his profound Christian faith, the love of his wife and children, and a relentless quest for self-awareness and authenticity, the immensely likable Dickey details his transformation from a reckless, risk-taking loner to a grounded, life- affirming big leaguer. He emerged as one of the premier pitchers in the National League in 2010-and the knuckleballing embodiment of the wonders that perseverance and human wisdom can produce. Dickey views his story as one of redemption. Readers will come to see it as something more-a uniquely American story of beating back demons, listening to your heart, and overcoming extraordinary odds.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:20 -0400)

"A memoir written by baseball pitcher R.A. Dickey"--

82 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,983,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible