Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth,…

Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect… (2012)

by R.A. Dickey

Other authors: Wayne R. Coffey

I am a big fan of R.A. Dickey and find his story inspiring, but this book is, unfortunately, not. The first half of the book, I was encouraged that this would be somehow different than other baseball books, but somewhere along the way things degenerated again into predictable cliche and flat writing. ( )
  Caryn.Rose | Mar 18, 2015 |
A book that made a major impression on me. I was amazed at the story and events that make up R.A. Dickey. A devout Christian, Dickey describes how his calling from God has helped him on his journey through life and baseball. Baseball fans will love this book, but this book also has life messages for everyone. One of the more inspiring books you will ever read. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 10, 2014 |
Whether or not you are a baseball fan, don't expect great insights into the game from Dickey, although you might learn a few things about knuckleballs and knuckleball pitchers. The real story is Dickey and his persistent slog toward healing of childhood trauma, sexual abuse, and his own very typical but unhealthy ways of dealing with his past. Whatever you think of Dickey as a pitcher, you will come to admire him as a human being, a man who keeps moving forward and is honest enough to tell his painful story. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
I got this book as a "I'm a Mets fan" conversation starter, (this was before he got traded, lol-- I saw the story on the cover of the paper in the convenience store, and now Wikipedia has confirmed that he is, now, in fact "Blue Jay Dickey"-- although his picture is still of him as a Met, since it is, after all, December), and it's a little odd to think of how many times I used it as a conversation piece, now that I've actually paged through it a little bit. It's very long.... and not very interesting. A little boring, at times. He said that he remembers details well. He does. But he's also boring.

Maybe he should have just stuck with being a pitcher.... and for all their sociological differences, I can't help but be reminded of Sheldon Cooper, (who's on TBS every freackin' night)-- you're actually better at being boring, Sheldon. Maybe you should have stuck with that.

And now it is, by sheer dumb luck, not really a piece of contemporary Mets memorabilia anymore.... Hello, Goodbye....

"I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello.... You say why, and I say I don't know...."

The next time I get a biography, it's going to be about a Beatle.

(7/10) ( )
  Tullius22 | Dec 28, 2012 |
A sometimes heart-wrenching but uplifting story of the New York Mets pitcher who struggled his way from the minors to the majors. ( )
  jstarkes | Oct 23, 2012 |

R.A. Dickeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coffey, Wayne R.secondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The Glass Castle meets Ball Four as Mets knuckleballer R.A. Dickey weaves searing honesty and baseball insight in this memoir about his unlikely journey to the big leagues.

An English Lit major at the University of Tennessee, Dickey is as articulate and thoughtful as any professional athlete in any sport-and proves it page after page, as he provides fresh and honest insight into baseball and a career unlike any other. Fourteen years ago, Dickey was a heralded No. 1 draft choice of the Texas Rangers, only to have an $810,000 signing bonus, and his lifelong dream, ripped away by an X- ray-and the discovery that he did not have an ulna collateral ligament in his right elbow. Five years ago, he gave up a record six home runs in three innings to the Detroit Tigers-and was effectively consigned to the baseball scrap heap.

Sustained by his profound Christian faith, the love of his wife and children, and a relentless quest for self-awareness and authenticity, the immensely likable Dickey details his transformation from a reckless, risk-taking loner to a grounded, life- affirming big leaguer. He emerged as one of the premier pitchers in the National League in 2010-and the knuckleballing embodiment of the wonders that perseverance and human wisdom can produce. Dickey views his story as one of redemption. Readers will come to see it as something more-a uniquely American story of beating back demons, listening to your heart, and overcoming extraordinary odds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

"A memoir written by baseball pitcher R.A. Dickey"--

56 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,051,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible