The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by…

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition (1990)

by Stephen King

It by Stephen King (mwfnwa)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    The Shining by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    Just a Couple of Days by Tony Vigorito (sturlington)
    sturlington: Bio-engineered diseases bring about the apocalypse.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (248)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (254)
I read the edited version 20 years ago. This was even more satisfying. Sets the standard for apocalyptic fiction. ( )
  KerryD1971 | Apr 17, 2015 |
My favorite book of all time. Let me tell you up front, I am extremely hard to bring to tears. That being said, there were parts during this novel that just got the water works going and got them going good. This book gives you and in depth look in to the lives of so many different characters as "Captain Trips" takes its course. You become attached to and feel for every character in this book. Good and bad. Mother Abigail and Randall Flagg.

Stephen King shows his true inner genius in this novel. He shows the different aspects of society adjusting to major changes. Also the ending in this book is great. I highly recommend this book. It has major length but it is well worth the time spent reading it. ( )
  Marc.Ciccarella.Jr. | Mar 29, 2015 |
best Stephen King book i ever read, bar none. I read a lot of King, too, so take that praise as you will.
The characters are almost tangable, they are that well developed and the plot was exciting and harsh at once. A very vivid picture King paints here in this masterpiece of a book. One that is a must read for those who like horror, drama, post-apocolyptic themes in a book. ( )
  nmg1 | Mar 20, 2015 |
Horror has its fans, but I'm too disturbed by the broil of emotions it stirs up to sincerely enjoy it. I had a brief encounter with Stephen King in highschool, ending with "no more, I'll never read stuff like this again." But I'd heard too many good things about The Stand, I'm a sucker for big books like its Uncut Edition, and $1 at a yard sale sent all my wisdom out the window. Besides, I'm an adult now, I can take it. I'd forgotten his ability to make me feel uneasy even when I'm not between the pages. This book ruined my whole month.

I wouldn't have cared a fig if he'd gone with the nukes approach to clear the world's slate, but no: it's rampant disease on the heels of Ebola headlines, disguised as a cold like the one my whole family was down with as I read the opening chapters. Nor does he skip quickly ahead to "Here's the survivors." Instead there's all these (mostly) likeable people going about their normal lives, oblivious to what's coming, and the slow, slow unravelling of said lives. I've read he had a blast writing this portion. He squeezed every ounce of joy out of it that he could, and out of me while he was at it.

I finally had respite when Randall Flagg was introduced, bringing a bit of fluff fantasy to relieve the too-real realism (and, haven't I met this guy in The Eyes of the Dragon?). The horror elements are not too emphasized from this point on, and it becomes more science/political fiction with only some yucky bits and a touch of fantasy thrown in. The story was just okay, and I think I would have been fine with a shorter version. Stephen King can write, no mistake (my gripes about point-of-view changes aside) but this is only his tribute to a number of other properties: his Lord of the Rings, his Star Wars, his (thematically) Canticle for Leibowitz. I felt the same way about Hubbard's Battlefield Earth. I see how this can be the novel fans rate highest, since he cranked epic scale up to 11 and how do you top that? Give it a try if it sounds intriguing, but this isn't a must-read. ( )
1 vote Cecrow | Mar 19, 2015 |
I first read The Stand in `95. I was fifteen. I have never read the original version, which is over three hundred pages shorter, and I don't intend to. If you trek over to Amazon, reviewers the world over scream their distaste for this uncut version, mainly because they think the added material has no purpose. Even King warns readers in the foreword that this version is heavier in the character development department and high in filler. But this is the version he wants people to remember. To me, the original version doesn't exist.

I will say that this book drones on and on in the middle. The first part of the book is 382 pages long. The middle part, Book Two, comes in at 592 pages. Book Three is only 230 pages long. Could the middle be trimmed? Sure thing. Does it need to be? It depends on how you like your character development. When I read King, I don't read his books like other authors' works. I know I am in for information overload, so I take my time, sit back, and relax. If you've read other King books and felt he was wordy, The Stand might just make your head cave in. This book is thick, and for good reason. It's the end of the world, baby, and King wants you know every single detail.

The most disturbing part of this book for me was the sympathy I had for the bad guys, if you can really call them that. Lloyd Henreid and the Trashcan Man are dynamic villains with far more to say about the world than any of the protagonists. Then again, I always have rooted for the broken of us.

This book is not for everyone, but it is one of King's best.

E. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andreasen, Mogens WenzelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition. The new edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.
ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955 ,0340920955 ,0340951443 ,0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240 ,840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579 ,9127063631)

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169530, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1978, science fiction writer Spider Robinson wrote a scathing review of The Stand in which he exhorted his readers to grab strangers in bookstores and beg them not to buy it.

The Stand is like that. You either love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it. Stephen King's most popular book, according to polls of his fans, is an end-of-the-world scenario: a rapidly mutating flu virus is accidentally released from a U.S. military facility and wipes out 99 and 44/100 percent of the world's population, thus setting the stage for an apocalyptic confrontation between Good and Evil.

"I love to burn things up," King says. "It's the werewolf in me, I guess.... The Stand was particularly fulfilling, because there I got a chance to scrub the whole human race, and man, it was fun! ... Much of the compulsive, driven feeling I had while I worked on The Stand came from the vicarious thrill of imagining an entire entrenched social order destroyed in one stroke."

There is much to admire in The Stand: the vivid thumbnail sketches with which King populates a whole landscape with dozens of believable characters; the deep sense of nostalgia for things left behind; the way it subverts our sense of reality by showing us a world we find familiar, then flipping it over to reveal the darkness underneath. Anyone who wants to know, or claims to know, the heart of the American experience needs to read this book. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:16 -0400)

Horrific disaster as a plague virus sweeps the U.S., leaving only a handful of survivors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,716,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible