The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by…

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition (1978)

by Stephen King

13,359None162 (4.35)418
American (36) apocalypse (217) apocalyptic (92) dark tower (44) disease (45) dystopia (66) end of the world (45) epic (65) fantasy (244) favorite (49) fiction (1,117) good vs. evil (90) hardcover (49) horror (1,401) King (81) novel (131) own (72) paperback (44) plague (131) post-apocalypse (46) post-apocalyptic (253) read (194) science fiction (203) Stephen King (226) supernatural (53) survival (38) suspense (45) thriller (115) to-read (124) unread (47)
    It by Stephen King (mwfnwa)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    The Shining by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (219)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (225)
A copy, signed by Stephen King, is available in the giant Stephen King contest for the 20 years of the Club Stephen King : more than 100 gifts to win ! >>> http://clubstephenking.com/ ( )
  ClubStephenKing | Apr 11, 2014 |
Where do I even begin. I read this book and honestly couldn't put it down. This was my 3rd Stephen King novel to ever read, at the time. When I opened this book, I was so wrapped up in the story, that when I wasn't reading, I was obsessing over what was going to happen next. I have read both the cut and uncut editions. I can't understand why anyone would want to read the cut version! Granted it's a long book, but all of Mr. King's books are long.

Such an excellent novel! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

Such an excellent novel! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
His best work, hands down. ( )
  LisaFoxRomance | Apr 6, 2014 |
I can't stress to you fellow "good-readers" how much I loved this book. This is the 6th King book I've read and it is far and away the best. I know that it's pretty much the norm to consider this King's finest effort..BUT there's a reason for that. Now, granted, I haven't read anywhere near his full catalogue but I have this feeling that I may not like anything nearly as much - that's a depressing thought considering how big of a fan I'm becoming. So you can see why I'm a little worried.

King basically crafts a scenario where a US biological weapons facility has an accident, unleashing a plague that kills off 99.4% of the world's population. Out of the remaining survivors, two very different societies form. One in Las Vegas led by what is basically evil incarnate and one in Boulder, Colorado led by a 108 year old woman (who lies on the side of all that is good..and God). As the novel progresses, characters change (for the good as well as the bad), both societies have their problems as an inevitable clash is in the works.

I was so nervous about starting this monster. 1,135 pages with such small print had me worried I would be reading this for months OR that something would cause me to hate it halfway through; becoming discouraged and throwing it aside. I initially bought this in May and deciding it was now or never, cracked the book at the beginning of September. After the first few chapters, I felt like an idiot for waiting so long.

I haven't had a novel cause me to invest in characters so fully since I had read "The Road" about 3 years ago. Can you be on the edge of your seat reading a book? I guess so. To steal a phrase, the book was "un-put-downable". I'm not sure if it's in my nature, but I always try to pick out the good stuff in any form of entertainment. I'm not very critical - it's probably why I have a lot of stuff rated between 4-5 stars. That being said, if I could rate this above 5 stars, I would.

Without a doubt, to date, Randall Flagg is by far my favorite literary villain. How could he not be? King crafts him as a man without reason. He wants nothing more than to watch the world burn. Sure, he wants power but he wants death and destruction more. He's the kind of man who would promise you the world for assistance and then throw you away when you've used up your purpose. He was terrifying and I'm happy that King apparently uses him again and again in additional work.

Near the end of the novel, something occurs that had me on the verge of tears. To date, I've never been that emotionally caught up in a novel. I'm not sure how that relates to the stuff I'm reading or my ability to identify with characters but it really did a number on me. Laws, yes, it did!

I read through this review like 10 times before I posted it and it more or less sounds like I'm rambling on and on without structure. That's okay - I feel like I accomplished what I sent out to do.
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition. The new edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.
ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955 ,0340920955 ,0340951443 ,0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240 ,840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579 ,9127063631)

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169530, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1978, science fiction writer Spider Robinson wrote a scathing review of The Stand in which he exhorted his readers to grab strangers in bookstores and beg them not to buy it.

The Stand is like that. You either love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it. Stephen King's most popular book, according to polls of his fans, is an end-of-the-world scenario: a rapidly mutating flu virus is accidentally released from a U.S. military facility and wipes out 99 and 44/100 percent of the world's population, thus setting the stage for an apocalyptic confrontation between Good and Evil.

"I love to burn things up," King says. "It's the werewolf in me, I guess.... The Stand was particularly fulfilling, because there I got a chance to scrub the whole human race, and man, it was fun! ... Much of the compulsive, driven feeling I had while I worked on The Stand came from the vicarious thrill of imagining an entire entrenched social order destroyed in one stroke."

There is much to admire in The Stand: the vivid thumbnail sketches with which King populates a whole landscape with dozens of believable characters; the deep sense of nostalgia for things left behind; the way it subverts our sense of reality by showing us a world we find familiar, then flipping it over to reveal the darkness underneath. Anyone who wants to know, or claims to know, the heart of the American experience needs to read this book. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:16 -0400)

Horrific disaster as a plague virus sweeps the U.S., leaving only a handful of survivors.

5 2082

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible