The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by…

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition (1978)

by Stephen King

The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    The Fireman: A Novel by Joe Hill (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Both books cover the subject of the aftermath of a terrible widespread disease.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    The Breakers Series: Books 1-3 by Edward W. Robertson (Dragget)
    Dragget: Well thought out post-apocalyptic stories (civilization wiped out by a superbug) plot follows groups of survivors.
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (293)  Dutch (5)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (302)
A long story. The superflu pandemic it lose and the US does nothing but make it worse and most people die all over the world. This is the story of creation, a few survive and they form two groups; good and evil and then there is the stand off. It’s a long story, I said that already. This is the expanded version. I’m not sure that it needed expanding, maybe it needing trimming. Oh well. King is a wordy fellow. He creates a lot of characters and then he slowly trims them away. It seems like a lot of his other books are in this book and his main bad guy is found in other stories. He wrote this, then rewrote it and then updated it. This book was updated to 1990 and still is dated which will happen when there is so much pop culture in the book. Besides the Bible; this book had many other inspirations for King and King wanted to write a fantasy epic like Tolkien. I still like hobbits better than Texans. ( )
  Kristelh | Sep 15, 2018 |
Has it been a year? Took some time to finish this book but it was worth it! One of the best works of fiction I have ever had the pleasure of reading and highly recommend it to everyone. The ebola virus outbreak only helps place you in this post apocalyptic world. Stephen King really knows how to develop his characters and the world they live in. The battle between good and evil was both captivating and psychologically realistic. If you hate it when your favorite characters die...well you are in the wrong Era of literature. ( )
  medinm0 | Aug 11, 2018 |
One of the best post-apocalyptic works ever made and one of my favorite books written by Stephen King. Epic and shocking and masterfully-written - I've read it three times and it gets better with each read! ( )
  Eric_J._Guignard | Jul 26, 2018 |
By my reckoning, this is Big Steve's best-realized tale, ever. I liked the original version, but the expanded, uncut edition is so much better, the two don't even compare. This is a big, hefty doorstop of a book that you'll only want to put down to rest your arms, quite possibly the ultimate apocalyptic epic and containing one of the best "villains" ever conceived, and one who pops up in King's work from time to time, Randall Flagg. What more could I say besides, enjoy.
  Jamski | Jul 18, 2018 |
Not sure what to say about Stephen King. To ignore the fact that he is extremely popular and that he is very adept at the genre he represents would be ludicrous. He can write. He can carry you a long distance on his storytelling prowess. But, in the end, this is not a genre I enjoy and he is not a writer I would hope to read again.

The story began much better than I had expected, with a premise that all of us could agree is a nightmare possibility...the government developing a dangerous biologic that is accidentally released into the population and kills 90% of the population. At some point, however, I was sick of the graphic descriptions of people dying from this plague. He needs to embrace the idea that less is more. I became just as tired of the endless descriptions of the after-plague bodies, piled up on interstates and pouring out of houses.

When the supernatural element takes complete hold of the book, King loses me. It is unbelievable to me and when I cannot suspend my disbelief it is harder to enjoy the movement of the novel. King does develop some interesting characters...some of them quite evil...but for the most part they did not become real for me. I was amazed at how so many of these people were the lone survivor of their entire town, but they seemed to recover from that so easily, put loss behind them inexplicably, and tie up with other survivors in deep, committed relationships overnight. They have some superior fearlessness in going out unarmed to confront the evil, when I believe their situation would leave them nothing if not consumed with fears. Even the bravest among us might feel lost in this situation.

Then there is the ending. It is as if King just knew he had reached the end of the tether and needed to tie it off. After all this angst, happily ever after? After all this effort, let's go back East where there are no other people and the electricity doesn't work and there aren't any doctors? Really? One realistic thing about the end is that man is ready to screw it up all over again and the authoritarians are waiting in the wings to take over.

I know that part of the disappointment with this novel for me was that I wanted it to surprise me. I believed I was not a Stephen King kind of reader, but I wanted him to prove me wrong. I wanted to like unexpectedly, the way I like the movies The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption. I think King might translate better into movies than he reads for a person like myself. I wanted to rate it higher, but that would have been giving credit because of what other people think of his writing, not because of what I thought of the book.

Is it strange to say that I am glad I read it...all 1100 pages...because I can now say with conviction that Stephen King is not an author I want to spend time with. I need to go wallow in the joys of authors that speak to me instead. To all who do enjoy him, this is what is wonderful about reading, there is something for everyone and none of us is wrong to choose the works that speak to them. Now I need a double-dose of Charles Dickens.
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kell, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neuhaus, WolfgangÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, GilsonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand (1978) with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition (1990). The latter edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.

ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955, 0340920955, 0340951443, 0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240, 840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579, and 9127063631)
When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169530, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1978, science fiction writer Spider Robinson wrote a scathing review of The Stand in which he exhorted his readers to grab strangers in bookstores and beg them not to buy it.

The Stand is like that. You either love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it. Stephen King's most popular book, according to polls of his fans, is an end-of-the-world scenario: a rapidly mutating flu virus is accidentally released from a U.S. military facility and wipes out 99 and 44/100 percent of the world's population, thus setting the stage for an apocalyptic confrontation between Good and Evil.

"I love to burn things up," King says. "It's the werewolf in me, I guess.... The Stand was particularly fulfilling, because there I got a chance to scrub the whole human race, and man, it was fun! ... Much of the compulsive, driven feeling I had while I worked on The Stand came from the vicarious thrill of imagining an entire entrenched social order destroyed in one stroke."

There is much to admire in The Stand: the vivid thumbnail sketches with which King populates a whole landscape with dozens of believable characters; the deep sense of nostalgia for things left behind; the way it subverts our sense of reality by showing us a world we find familiar, then flipping it over to reveal the darkness underneath. Anyone who wants to know, or claims to know, the heart of the American experience needs to read this book. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:36 -0400)

Horrific disaster as a plague virus sweeps the U.S., leaving only a handful of survivors. It's 1985 and a deadly 'superflu' practically wipes out the population of the U.S. Gradually survivors trail across a wasteland of horror and death to congregate in two zones, one the embodiment of good, the other the embodiment of evil.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,829,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible