The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by…

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition (original 1978; edition 1990)

by Stephen King

Member:brightcopy
Title:The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Doubleday (1990), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 1152 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:science fantasy

The Stand by Stephen King (1978)

It by Stephen King (mwfnwa)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    The Shining by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (233)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (239)
The Stand is one of my favorite novels of all time. I recommend it to lots of people, but the length seems to scare off many of them. I, however, wish it had been longer. The character development and progression was extremely well done and I genuinely felt sad to end my time with them at the end of the book. It's a book I like to revisit -- it holds up remarkably well under repeat readings. ( )
  dwsampson | Oct 11, 2014 |
Man did I want to love this book. Great idea, development and many other things, but man the ending. freaking gay. Gay, gay, gay. And it had about 4 endings. I was glad it was over. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
I'm not sure why I haven't reviewed The Stand yet. I've read it about twenty times; it was my go-to comfort read as a young adult; I loved the journeying and the desolation of an empty world. Maybe because I'm not sure what I can add to the wealth of reviews (of the un-cut version alone)... it's a post-apocalyptic page-turner with some of King's most enduring characters and mind-blowing events.

Still, I recently had the misfortune of reading Mr Mercedes, and my mind now needs the palate cleanser of thinking about something that's actually well written and not a colossal waste of the reader's time. I've already reviewed his middle and later works (I'd love to rave about Duma Key all over again), but here's The Stand, one of the most astonishing examples of raw writing-prowess, un-reviewed, and last read by me just a year ago, when I updated my very sad book-club copy to a nice fresh paperback with a spine that doesn't crack. What do you call those, by the way? Beside miraculous, I mean.

So, without comparing to that regrettable adventure in lame serial killers and retired cops with questionable wits, a quick exercise in what King does well, from the book where he (arguably) did it the best:

World-building: you build up by breaking down. King decimates the USA and it's thrilling to watch it unfold through multiple points of view. What would have been an overlong introduction to the new US through one set of eyes is instead a terrible patchwork of gripping cameos, interspersed with character introduction.

Flawed protagonists; Larry Underwood, step forward. "There's something in you that's like biting on tinfoil." "You ain't no nice guy." Larry was a dick, who redeemed himself, and both sides of him made a complete character.

Hero protagonists; Stu, the good ol' boy who steps forward in a time of crisis and gets the girl. He gets the gig by virtue of surviving, and then proves himself worthy. Nothing remarkable, except for the solid characterisation that kept him from being boring.

'Special people': by which I refer to the mentally handicapped psychic, especially young and vulnerable psychic, and the man who combines both traits; Tom Cullen. M-O-O-N that spells the character you would most like to decorate with.

Frightening antagonists: Flagg. Let me make this clear. A magic man walks out of nowhere with no history and is more convincing a threat than many a horror tale has conjured. When King decides to draw someone well, you believe in them absolutely. Speaking of which...

Sympathetic villains: Oh Harold, you troubled bastard, why did you have to be so well written? When I tell people one of my favourite King characters is Harold Lauder, I sound like a sociopath.

Unnerving imagery: weasels in the corn. Crows and wolves. Nadine's hair. The eye, the key, the stone. Someone coughing. Just play around with those for a bit, Mr King, don't mind us over here having nightmares.

Chemistry in pairings: Nick Andros and Tom Cullen (journey in). Stu and Tom Cullen (journey out). Frannie and Stu (book version, please), Stu and Glen, *picks self up from floor*, Larry and Joe. There were many meetings of minds in The Stand and each section of dialogue soared beyond the sum of its parts.

… There, that feels miles better.

In fact, I think a year might be a whiles too long between re-reads. ( )
1 vote eleanor_eader | Sep 24, 2014 |
One of my all time favorite books ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
it has to be a little less than a 4, but this is absolutely epic. in the story, in the scope, in the writing (although i imagine that is even more true for the dark tower series). even though i don't love this book, i am kind of in awe of it and of what he's done.

this is the ultimate battle of good and evil, as anything truly epic should probably be. in this book the good is god and the evil is the devil, which i don't really have a problem with, but seems a little too trite or convenient for me. maybe that's my bias talking, though. (it really didn't bother me reading the story that it seemed clear that there was a god working for good.)

ok, but first the good things, and then the stuff that bothered me.

spoiler alert. stephen king kills off his main characters. from an emotional, personal perspective, this isn't a good thing because as a reader who gets invested, i often get attached to his characters. (also his fault because of the amazing character development he employs. seriously, that's a good part of why this book is so long.) but from a purely writing perspective, it's just so ballsy and unusual and real for him to do this because it's true and it's unexpected and i love it. i love that he takes those chances with his writing and with trusting his readers to be ok with his choices. (but emotionally, well, let's just say i cried when he introduced a character in this book because that brought back the memories of crying over his/her end the last time i read this book 20 or so years ago.) so yes, his character development is incredible in this book, among others. i mean truly. the scope of the story as well, is really quite an accomplishment. what happens to societies when you start almost from scratch? what becomes important? what do you do with the new chance you have - do you just recreate what was fucked like what you had before, or do you do better? (and so so so much more.)

a few more things that i particularly loved. he wrote this in 1978 (which gives him a little leeway for one of the problems i had with it below) and the women in this book are mostly strong and capable and there are a couple in fact who are heroic. the god figure (although we know she isn't a god) is actually an old black woman. points for that. his foreshadowing is great, not to mention the tying back in he does late in the book of all kinds of things mentioned early on. very nicely done. also, he always makes a billion references to literature and music and culture (there was about 1 per page in doctor sleep) but one stood out in particular and i have to mention it. a character we only see for a page or so is thinking about his coworker in new york in the 87th precinct police squad, steve carrella, and what he's going to tell him when he gets back from vacation. carella is mentioned maybe twice in 2 paragraphs but this slayed me. steve carrella is one of the recurring characters in ed mcbain's 87th precinct police procedurals. it's totally inconsequential to this story, it matters not a whit if you know that reading this story, but it's a pat on the back to ed mcbain and a wink to the readers who know this. stephen king is just so much brighter and more well read than me that i mourn all of these references that i miss, because there is something so satisfying about coming across these.

now the problems i had with this. it was partly just me, i'm sure, but whenever i take this long (3 weeks!!!!) to read a book i know it's also in part the book itself. even while i liked this, it wasn't un-put-downable until the end. admittedly it's a long build to the climax (over 1000 pages) and i can't put my finger on why i wasn't riveted, but it was just too easy to put down or to choose sleep over, until the climax.

like i said above, i give him a partial pass because of when it was written, but did people really refer to their boyfriends/girlfriends/partners/spouses exclusively as "my man" or "my woman?" i found that so annoying. it was never meant in the possessive, offensive way i hear that now, but still.

these things are all small, but they clouded the book a bit for me. without giving the ending away, it also bothered me that people would disperse on their own, having seen the problems with getting a city back up and running again (needing someone to understand how to get the power on, needing a doctor, needing to clear the area of the dead, needing logistical things that one person on their own can't do) and with all the work stephen king did to make these problems in starting the community up again, it doesn't make sense to me that people would go off on their own with no plan and no...ability. what else? things happened too quickly at the beginning. the overgrowth of vegetation and the men's beards, the return of the buffalo all happened within a couple of weeks of the plague hitting.

like i said, all minor. the only "real" thing that i didn't like in this book was, unfortunately, the climax itself. he managed to tie it up nicely, bringing it all together, but for everything to have led to this stand of good against evil, it was over quickly - only a couple of pages - and it felt kind of like a cop-out to me. so that was a bummer.

last, because i'm sure it's not his fault - the drawings in this edition of the book were so off base. it's like the person who drew didn't even read the book or the part of the book they were drawing. they were just all wrong. (even one of the heroic women was drawn, doing her heroic thing, as a man.)

and, maybe worth saying, the first time i read this book i was much more affected by it. i remember being blown away by passages and scenes (sobbing over something in particular) that i just read right through this time around. so maybe it took me so long to read because i wasn't really focused, i don't know. maybe a first time read (i think this was my 3rd time, maybe my 4th) packs a more powerful punch.

all of that, and in spite of how much time it took me to read this, and i did still really like it. it's not my favorite of his books, and even though i see problems with it, i don't feel like you can go wrong reading it, if you've got a little time to give. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Aug 22, 2014 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andreasen, Mogens WenzelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition. The new edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.
ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955 ,0340920955 ,0340951443 ,0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240 ,840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579 ,9127063631)

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169530, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1978, science fiction writer Spider Robinson wrote a scathing review of The Stand in which he exhorted his readers to grab strangers in bookstores and beg them not to buy it.

The Stand is like that. You either love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it. Stephen King's most popular book, according to polls of his fans, is an end-of-the-world scenario: a rapidly mutating flu virus is accidentally released from a U.S. military facility and wipes out 99 and 44/100 percent of the world's population, thus setting the stage for an apocalyptic confrontation between Good and Evil.

"I love to burn things up," King says. "It's the werewolf in me, I guess.... The Stand was particularly fulfilling, because there I got a chance to scrub the whole human race, and man, it was fun! ... Much of the compulsive, driven feeling I had while I worked on The Stand came from the vicarious thrill of imagining an entire entrenched social order destroyed in one stroke."

There is much to admire in The Stand: the vivid thumbnail sketches with which King populates a whole landscape with dozens of believable characters; the deep sense of nostalgia for things left behind; the way it subverts our sense of reality by showing us a world we find familiar, then flipping it over to reveal the darkness underneath. Anyone who wants to know, or claims to know, the heart of the American experience needs to read this book. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:16 -0400)

Imagine America devastated by a vast killer plague and the group of men and women coming together to make a last stand against it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,038,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible