The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by…

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Stephen King

Member:brightcopy
Title:The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Doubleday (1990), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 1152 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:science fantasy

The Stand by Stephen King (1990)

It by Stephen King (mwfnwa)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    The Shining by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (272)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (279)
For anyone who has read 'Swan Song' by Robert R. McCammon (1987) - there are some major similarities. 'The Stand' (1978/1990) is much more character-driven, whereas I wanted more description and explanation of the post-epidemic world itself so I could understand the characters within it. The characters just seemed so accepting that the flu had struck, the Devil had moved in, and that all survivors shared dreams and could see the future! Without that greater world context, I developed a lot of doubts and spent too much time criticizing the characters... Luckily, I recognized that reading 'Swan Song' first had ruined 'The Stand' for me and so I must say, this is still a good (long) read. ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 6, 2016 |
King's best book. Whereas some of his books feature some evil person/thing as an outside entity, this one is about the evil/good within each one of us. Also, the story is a great one --complete with an epic journey across an increasingly frightening America. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This isn't like any book I have read before. I wish they still had the cut version of this book because at some points this book just drags on and I wish I could have read the cut version instead. I'm glad I kept with it I feel like after you read this you've accomplished something, it's such a big book. This was one of the longest books I have ever read. I am glad I read this it was pretty good overall! ( )
  baumallison | Jan 25, 2016 |
I'm glad this wasn't my first SK book. If it was, I don't think I'd ever read any of his other books. I understand everyone's taste is different. The part I find hard to believe is how anyone could read this book more than once ! If I had the choice of rereading this book or getting the electric chair, I'd pick the electric chair in a heartbeat. It was a long and boring journey that I wish I'd never taken. It's rare that I don't finish a book once I get started. After finishing this book, I regret that I didn't quit reading it. I could have read two good books in the time I wasted on this story. If you want to read a good PA book, read "Swan Song" now that was a good book! ( )
  ralphs007 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I'll tell you this, I picked a bad time to finally read this! I have the flu, as do almost all of my coworkers and family members! Totally adds to the freak out nature of this tale! So take my advice, do not read it during cold and flu season. Laws, no!

To add to my uneasiness, yesterday a man on a bicycle yelled out "Hey Walking Man!" to me as I was delivering the mail! Not Walkin Dude, mind you, but it freaked me out enough to stop me in my tracks and quickly think if my name was a permutation of the R.F. initials! (it's not even close, whew!) Can you believe that happy crappy?

As Ralph says at one point, "This reinventing the country is a lot tougher than it looked at first." And after "Captain Trips", the "good guys" try to do so in Colorado, and Randall Flagg in Las Vegas (where else for the "bad guys"?). We get a lot of back ground on everyone, and it really builds up well as the story progresses. My only minor complaint is that when the final confrontation does come, it is pretty darn quick. Maybe too quick for my tastes...

Welladay, I love, love, love Mother Abagail! The way she is written is just about grandma-tastic percect! Her warmth, love, strength, and kindness radiate off the page! I kind of love her! I almost wish I could dream of her!

And M-O-O-N that spells Tom Cullen, my other favorite character! And my only other minor complaint about the book - not enough Tom! At one point he disappears from the tale completely! Noticeably so! Laws no!

Anyway, dang good book and worth the effort! Probably the longest book I've ever read! And the end, end is excellent! I'm so glad I finally read this! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 22, 2016 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andreasen, Mogens WenzelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition. The new edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.
ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955 ,0340920955 ,0340951443 ,0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240 ,840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579 ,9127063631)

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169530, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1978, science fiction writer Spider Robinson wrote a scathing review of The Stand in which he exhorted his readers to grab strangers in bookstores and beg them not to buy it.

The Stand is like that. You either love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it. Stephen King's most popular book, according to polls of his fans, is an end-of-the-world scenario: a rapidly mutating flu virus is accidentally released from a U.S. military facility and wipes out 99 and 44/100 percent of the world's population, thus setting the stage for an apocalyptic confrontation between Good and Evil.

"I love to burn things up," King says. "It's the werewolf in me, I guess.... The Stand was particularly fulfilling, because there I got a chance to scrub the whole human race, and man, it was fun! ... Much of the compulsive, driven feeling I had while I worked on The Stand came from the vicarious thrill of imagining an entire entrenched social order destroyed in one stroke."

There is much to admire in The Stand: the vivid thumbnail sketches with which King populates a whole landscape with dozens of believable characters; the deep sense of nostalgia for things left behind; the way it subverts our sense of reality by showing us a world we find familiar, then flipping it over to reveal the darkness underneath. Anyone who wants to know, or claims to know, the heart of the American experience needs to read this book. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:36 -0400)

Horrific disaster as a plague virus sweeps the U.S., leaving only a handful of survivors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,072,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible