The Stand: Expanded Edition: For the First…

The Stand: Expanded Edition: For the First Time Complete and Uncut… (original 1990; edition 1991)

by Stephen King

Member:writestuff
Title:The Stand: Expanded Edition: For the First Time Complete and Uncut (Signet)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 1141 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Stand by Stephen King (1990)

It by Stephen King (mwfnwa)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    The Shining by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (295)  Dutch (5)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  English (304)
What an ambitious plot and novel! I entered knowing very little about the plot and loved the journey of this book. It's rare that a book brings me to tears, but Stu Redman's struggle to get home had me tearing up. I absolutely loved this book, but it does seem I should have read the extended cut. The end felt rushed and leaving questions unanswered. Answers it seems King intended to give but originally couldn't. I picked this book up on a whim for 25¢, bargain of a lifetime. ( )
  supermanboidy | Nov 19, 2016 |
Continuing the ripping yarns summer, we have The Stand. In speaking with King fans, this got a lot of high praise. And for about half the book, I was into it. But somewhere along the way - maybe it was because of the whole son of the Devil, good versus evil, everyone having prophetic dreams like a bunch of Old Testament preacher bit. Maybe it was because I was reading the newer edition that added back in some parts. But I kept wondering when the plot would really *get somewhere. In my opinion, King could have cut about half of the second section and not missed it at all. The ending? Well, I'm sure that my 12th grade English nun would be happy that I remember the term Deus Ex Machina. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
Awesome . . . ( )
  Zombia | Oct 4, 2016 |
In this epic tale, King pits good against evil. As an apocalyptic virus sweeps the United States, the few remaining survivors make their way across country to join the group of their choice. The evil community, run by a dark sinister man- Randall Flagg (also known as the Walkin’ Dude or The Dark Man)- is located in Las Vegas. The good people congregate in a small town near Denver called The Free Zone and are spiritually guided by a 100 year old black woman named Mother Abagail.

Typical of all King’s novels, there is a wonderful assortment of characters, humor, suspense, and a bizarre plot... innocent children, villains and heroes, traitors and spies, a psychic dog, a crazy arsonist called The Trashcan Man, jealous lovers, a philosophical professor, references to the bible, a classic 1960 Plymouth, and lyrics to old rock n’ roll songs.

As the good people of the Free Zone are organizing a democratic government and trying to make the residents comfortable, Randall Flagg is raiding government arsenals and preparing for war. He’s looking forward to taking over the world. If you are already a King fan, you know that anything can happen in his stories. Heroes and innocent people often die while villains and evil people walk away unscathed. This novel is no different... so the plot is unpredictable.

The first reading of "The Stand", 20 years ago, left me thoroughly entertained and over time I considered this book -along with "It" and "11/22/63" to be of Stephen King’s best work.

In 1994 "The Stand" was made into a 4-episode TV series. And several months ago, rumors were circulating that the story is being made into a movie. For now, however, the project has been put on hold. I highly recommend reading the book. A recent second reading confirms that it is not out-dated and is still immensely entertaining. ( )
  LadyLo | Sep 15, 2016 |
Stephen Kings epic, and self described "dark Christian fantasy" is sweeping, yet somehow only breifly bogs down in detail. For 1100 pages, King weave a dark tale of madness, death, guile and hope, in a panorama of characters that whittles down slowly, but never seems forced or done only for device. As a Christian, I can say it is a formative one, not soft in regard to death nor insane with fundamentalism and legalism. The Stand also serves as a curious snapshot in time, of the lives of the adults of the early nineties, with so much of the swagger and "cultural lag" as Glen Bateman puts it of the late seventies in the dialouge that it serves as much as a dictionary of the periods slang as it serves as a reminder of the fraility of civilzation, and the resilence of mankind and faith. And of course, King's love of snark, the understatement, and bleak dark corners is well represented. Grove Gardner narrators the Random House unabridged audio with flair and a surprising range of voices, making soothing work of the horror within.

If you only read one King book in your life, take The Stand. ( )
  MurkyMaster | Sep 9, 2016 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

I ran across a good deal of useful merchandise as a part of your content. Presently simply click

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andreasen, Mogens WenzelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition. The new edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.
ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955 ,0340920955 ,0340951443 ,0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240 ,840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579 ,9127063631)
When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169530, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1978, science fiction writer Spider Robinson wrote a scathing review of The Stand in which he exhorted his readers to grab strangers in bookstores and beg them not to buy it.

The Stand is like that. You either love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it. Stephen King's most popular book, according to polls of his fans, is an end-of-the-world scenario: a rapidly mutating flu virus is accidentally released from a U.S. military facility and wipes out 99 and 44/100 percent of the world's population, thus setting the stage for an apocalyptic confrontation between Good and Evil.

"I love to burn things up," King says. "It's the werewolf in me, I guess.... The Stand was particularly fulfilling, because there I got a chance to scrub the whole human race, and man, it was fun! ... Much of the compulsive, driven feeling I had while I worked on The Stand came from the vicarious thrill of imagining an entire entrenched social order destroyed in one stroke."

There is much to admire in The Stand: the vivid thumbnail sketches with which King populates a whole landscape with dozens of believable characters; the deep sense of nostalgia for things left behind; the way it subverts our sense of reality by showing us a world we find familiar, then flipping it over to reveal the darkness underneath. Anyone who wants to know, or claims to know, the heart of the American experience needs to read this book. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:36 -0400)

Horrific disaster as a plague virus sweeps the U.S., leaving only a handful of survivors.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,639,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible