No title (1978)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (Author) (1978)

The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    The Breakers Series: Books 1-3 by Edward W. Robertson (Dragget)
    Dragget: Well thought out post-apocalyptic stories (civilization wiped out by a superbug) plot follows groups of survivors.
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (272)  Dutch (5)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (281)
It's the end of the world as we know it ...

A deadly strain of influenza brings about a pandemic that begins to kill off a majority of the Earth's population—all caused by a technical error in a DD lab.

The Stand is a VERY lengthy post apocalyptic horror that pits good (an old woman named Mother Abigail) against evil (the dark man, Randall Flag), in an all-out battle for the eternal souls of the men, women and children who survived the plague.
. . .As it had been written: 'Those who died quickly were the lucky ones.'

Although not one of my all-time favorite King novels (I still enjoyed it, despite), and way too long for my taste, The Stand boasts an extremely good plot, and excellent character development. I would recommend it, but prepare yourself for a time-consuming read.

CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
first off, what a massive book. Second, I really enjoyed this. A plague with 99.4% death rate devastates the world. In America, people gravitate toward Boulder or Las Vegas. In Boulder is Mother Abigal and in Las Vegas is the Dark Man. This is a story about Good vs Evil and how good pays in blood and evil causes its own downfall. Some messed up views on God, some profanity and enough graphic sexual things degrade my overall view on this story however. ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Continuing the ripping yarns summer, we have The Stand. In speaking with King fans, this got a lot of high praise. And for about half the book, I was into it. But somewhere along the way - maybe it was because of the whole son of the Devil, good versus evil, everyone having prophetic dreams like a bunch of Old Testament preacher bit. Maybe it was because I was reading the newer edition that added back in some parts. But I kept wondering when the plot would really *get somewhere. In my opinion, King could have cut about half of the second section and not missed it at all. The ending? Well, I'm sure that my 12th grade English nun would be happy that I remember the term Deus Ex Machina. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
In this epic tale, King pits good against evil. As an apocalyptic virus sweeps the United States, the few remaining survivors make their way across country to join the group of their choice. The evil community, run by a dark sinister man- Randall Flagg (also known as the Walkin’ Dude or The Dark Man)- is located in Las Vegas. The good people congregate in a small town near Denver called The Free Zone and are spiritually guided by a 100 year old black woman named Mother Abagail.

Typical of all King’s novels, there is a wonderful assortment of characters, humor, suspense, and a bizarre plot... innocent children, villains and heroes, traitors and spies, a psychic dog, a crazy arsonist called The Trashcan Man, jealous lovers, a philosophical professor, references to the bible, a classic 1960 Plymouth, and lyrics to old rock n’ roll songs.

As the good people of the Free Zone are organizing a democratic government and trying to make the residents comfortable, Randall Flagg is raiding government arsenals and preparing for war. He’s looking forward to taking over the world. If you are already a King fan, you know that anything can happen in his stories. Heroes and innocent people often die while villains and evil people walk away unscathed. This novel is no different... so the plot is unpredictable.

The first reading of "The Stand", 20 years ago, left me thoroughly entertained and over time I considered this book -along with "It" and "11/22/63" to be of Stephen King’s best work.

In 1994 "The Stand" was made into a 4-episode TV series. And several months ago, rumors were circulating that the story is being made into a movie. For now, however, the project has been put on hold. I highly recommend reading the book. A recent second reading confirms that it is not out-dated and is still immensely entertaining. ( )
1 vote LadyLo | Sep 15, 2016 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

King, StephenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andreasen, Mogens WenzelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand (1978) with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition (1990). The latter edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.

ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955, 0340920955, 0340951443, 0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240, 840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579, and 9127063631)
When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169530, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1978, science fiction writer Spider Robinson wrote a scathing review of The Stand in which he exhorted his readers to grab strangers in bookstores and beg them not to buy it.

The Stand is like that. You either love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it. Stephen King's most popular book, according to polls of his fans, is an end-of-the-world scenario: a rapidly mutating flu virus is accidentally released from a U.S. military facility and wipes out 99 and 44/100 percent of the world's population, thus setting the stage for an apocalyptic confrontation between Good and Evil.

"I love to burn things up," King says. "It's the werewolf in me, I guess.... The Stand was particularly fulfilling, because there I got a chance to scrub the whole human race, and man, it was fun! ... Much of the compulsive, driven feeling I had while I worked on The Stand came from the vicarious thrill of imagining an entire entrenched social order destroyed in one stroke."

There is much to admire in The Stand: the vivid thumbnail sketches with which King populates a whole landscape with dozens of believable characters; the deep sense of nostalgia for things left behind; the way it subverts our sense of reality by showing us a world we find familiar, then flipping it over to reveal the darkness underneath. Anyone who wants to know, or claims to know, the heart of the American experience needs to read this book. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:36 -0400)

Horrific disaster as a plague virus sweeps the U.S., leaving only a handful of survivors.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,320,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible