No title (1990)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (1990)

It by Stephen King (mwfnwa)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    The Shining by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (257)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (263)
I was so hesitant to read this novel due to my conception of Steven King as a crime fiction and thrillers writer. to my amazement, this was one of the best books I have ever read.The lengthy bulk of the book helps creating lifelike characters brimming with authenticity,to the extent one feels he would ran into on of the on his way home. character portrayal is that good-with the exception of Flagg that fluctuates between utterly shrwed evil and a totally stupid person with childish fits of tantrums.King used the third point of view, but I identified with the characters more the when I read smoothing written from the "I" point of views. The narration shift to the "I" view through reading Harold's and Frannie's diaries. symbolically speaking, I found a lot of binary oppositions-dimocracy vs dictatorship.Love vs hate. East vs West. Boulder and Las Vegas are juxtaposed against each others in a brilliant way, drawing obvious thick lines between the standards of Boulder and counterparts of Las Vegas. Stephen's style is so vivid- in constitutes visual images in mind, specially when gory scenes occur. I recommend this book to all the people who want to lose themselves in this engrossing encounter between good and evil. ( )
  Mohamed80 | Jul 11, 2015 |
I knew I had to give Stephen King a chance sooner or later, and it's exactly what I thought it would be: a poorly written, rambling mess. There are some good parts. They come in waves and become more and more rare as the book goes on - but by then you've come too far not to finish.

What I really don't like about it is there's very little sense of the story or characters DOING anything. For much of the book and almost all of the characters, there's no significant change - nothing develops. The parts that work best for me are the parts about post-plague survival. "People are thrown into a deadly new world, and they find a way survive" - that's the making of a good story. "People are sent by God to defeat the Devil, and God uses them to defeat the Devil" - that's a story that might as well have been over the second it was introduced. ( )
  comfypants | Jun 18, 2015 |
I had long heard how phenomenal The Stand was and that it was required reading as far as Stephen King novels were concerned. A huge novel, I admit it was a daunting read and I wasn't sure what to expect. The characters were very good in the novel and about mid-way through the book I felt comfortable with each of the them and what was happening with the plot. I admit however that from about 65% to 85% through the novel I found it a bit of a tough slog where too much time was spent in idleness whereas the first half of the book lots was happening and the characters were moving all over the place and encountering different things. Lastly, the ending was surprisingly weak for such a huge novel and came and went so quickly that I realized only a while after having read the big finale that I had passed it and nothing else was coming up. Overall I was happy to have read the book and it was definitely worth the investment of time. I think the book could have easily been shorter by quite a bit and the ending could have been done differently but overall would definitely recommend to those who love getting immersed in large adventures. ( )
  briandarvell | Jun 15, 2015 |
Wow...I can't believe how long it took me to read this damned book. Granted, it was 1143 pages long, with a few pictures here and there. When I wanted to get some summer reading done, I expected to get a few books done a month, not one book in a few months!

First of all, this was the first Stephen King novel I've read. I've heard that this was one of the better stories by King, and so I decided to take a chance. Why not? Plus, I bought (not knowing the difference at the time) the complete and uncut edition of the book, meaning that it had extra information than the original, which originally was published in 1978. Wow!

I do have a few cripes with the book. First of all, it was just too long. I've read 1000 paged books before, but this one just took too long for me to read. I think part of the reason being was that the beginning of the story was much too slow. There was a lot of introduction to the main characters, lots of talking and random bits here and there that I could have lived without. But once the plot events started building up, then it got exciting. And I do somewhat agree with what some critics have said about King: he suffers from diarrhea of the word processor. But then again, what successful writer doesn't?

One other part of the story that I couldn't suspend disbelief was the ease of lip reading that the deaf-mute, Nick Andros, was able to possess. Plague that kills nearly all of humanity? Sure. Successful lip-reading 100% of the time? Not a chance. But to each his own. Nonetheless, Nick, along with Tom Cullen, were my two favorite characters.

Nadine Cross and Harold Lauder, on the other hand, had a different effect on me. Sure, the circumstances of their situation might have had an effect on their poor decision making. But still...I was hoping for a little bit more redemption on their part. I honestly don't know how to feel about how they each met their demise. The only defense I can give them is that they redeemed themselves in their own eyes. Now it's up to the reader to make their own judgment.

Then there's the whole issue between fate and free will. Is this whole situation between Mother Abagail and Flagg just a game, with the characters being played as chess pieces? Or do they have free will? Solid commentary by the author. Nice way to put it. But again, my cripes are associated with Nick. When he was alive, he had this whole issue with believing in God. But after death, he tells Tom that God will decide when their time is up. Seemed like too easy a way to convert someone.

Overall, I think I actually loved the story. It was long. But it was totally worth the read. Maybe it I want to read it in the future, I'll look for an abridged version. Otherwise, I might find myself to be as busy as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest! ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
King delivers a stunning cast of characters here. Each has his own arc, his own pitfalls and flaws, and the characters alone entertained me for hundreds upon hundreds of pages. On top of the gripping characterization, King's ability to create tension, danger (real or imagined), and unsettle the reader is a sharp prod to keep reading.

The Stand is a huge, intricate, amazing piece of work. But it collapses with an ending that makes me groan in frustration still. Worth the journey to get through more than 1,000 pages? Yes, because each step up until the final few is great. But it's still hard to get the taste of a disappointing ending out of my mouth. ( )
  NateGreen | Jun 8, 2015 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andreasen, Mogens WenzelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition. The new edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.
ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955 ,0340920955 ,0340951443 ,0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240 ,840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579 ,9127063631)

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169530, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1978, science fiction writer Spider Robinson wrote a scathing review of The Stand in which he exhorted his readers to grab strangers in bookstores and beg them not to buy it.

The Stand is like that. You either love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it. Stephen King's most popular book, according to polls of his fans, is an end-of-the-world scenario: a rapidly mutating flu virus is accidentally released from a U.S. military facility and wipes out 99 and 44/100 percent of the world's population, thus setting the stage for an apocalyptic confrontation between Good and Evil.

"I love to burn things up," King says. "It's the werewolf in me, I guess.... The Stand was particularly fulfilling, because there I got a chance to scrub the whole human race, and man, it was fun! ... Much of the compulsive, driven feeling I had while I worked on The Stand came from the vicarious thrill of imagining an entire entrenched social order destroyed in one stroke."

There is much to admire in The Stand: the vivid thumbnail sketches with which King populates a whole landscape with dozens of believable characters; the deep sense of nostalgia for things left behind; the way it subverts our sense of reality by showing us a world we find familiar, then flipping it over to reveal the darkness underneath. Anyone who wants to know, or claims to know, the heart of the American experience needs to read this book. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:36 -0400)

Horrific disaster as a plague virus sweeps the U.S., leaving only a handful of survivors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,438,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible