No title (1990)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition by Stephen King (1990)

It by Stephen King (mwfnwa)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    The Shining by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    Just a Couple of Days by Tony Vigorito (sturlington)
    sturlington: Bio-engineered diseases bring about the apocalypse.
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (251)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (257)
The Stand is the second book I've read by Stephen King; the first was The Tommyknockers (which I just loved, although I know I'm in the minority, since it appears to be one of the least favorite of his books). Back to the subject. The Stand was a page turner from the start, until the four men left Boulder to go to Las Vegas. It got slower for me at that point; it took forever to get there - It didn't pick up again for me until just after the explosion in Las Vegas and Tom found Stu - and it stayed great until the end. I probably won't read most of King's most popular books, they'll undoubtedly scare me to death, but hope to read more of his that are not horror stories. I've learned that King is a fabulous writer - one that can grab you from the first page and not let you go until the last one. ( )
  suzyblack | May 17, 2015 |
A very entertaining story - an American version of Good versus Evil, Tolkien style. Parts of this book are difficult to digest - the characters aren't perfect, make mistakes, and are sometimes a bit unsavory. That only makes King's work all the better.

Part survivalist, part adventure, part fantasy, The Stand is a book that speaks of the ultimate transformation. The protagonists aren't some ultra-gifted perfect specimens, but just your average guys and gals from East Texas, New York, or New England. They're imperfect, sometimes even evil. Over the course of this long, long read, you'll get to see how ordinary people can adapt to do extraordinary things when the situation calls for it. Even more incredible is that some characters, no matter how screwed up, hateful, or just plain bad, can always make a stand for something good and change everything.

Also, I try to not get too invested into a single character in any book I read - but Tom Cullen is awesome. "Laws yes", Tom Cullen is one of the best characters Stephen King ever dreamed up in that crazy mind of his.

Well worth the effort of tackling this behemoth. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
One of my all-time favorites. It's about the final stand, at the end of the world, between good and evil. It's great. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
I read the edited version 20 years ago. This was even more satisfying. Sets the standard for apocalyptic fiction. ( )
  KerryD1971 | Apr 17, 2015 |
My favorite book of all time. Let me tell you up front, I am extremely hard to bring to tears. That being said, there were parts during this novel that just got the water works going and got them going good. This book gives you and in depth look in to the lives of so many different characters as "Captain Trips" takes its course. You become attached to and feel for every character in this book. Good and bad. Mother Abigail and Randall Flagg.

Stephen King shows his true inner genius in this novel. He shows the different aspects of society adjusting to major changes. Also the ending in this book is great. I highly recommend this book. It has major length but it is well worth the time spent reading it. ( )
  Marc.Ciccarella.Jr. | Mar 29, 2015 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andreasen, Mogens WenzelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition. The new edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.
ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955 ,0340920955 ,0340951443 ,0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240 ,840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579 ,9127063631)

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169530, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1978, science fiction writer Spider Robinson wrote a scathing review of The Stand in which he exhorted his readers to grab strangers in bookstores and beg them not to buy it.

The Stand is like that. You either love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it. Stephen King's most popular book, according to polls of his fans, is an end-of-the-world scenario: a rapidly mutating flu virus is accidentally released from a U.S. military facility and wipes out 99 and 44/100 percent of the world's population, thus setting the stage for an apocalyptic confrontation between Good and Evil.

"I love to burn things up," King says. "It's the werewolf in me, I guess.... The Stand was particularly fulfilling, because there I got a chance to scrub the whole human race, and man, it was fun! ... Much of the compulsive, driven feeling I had while I worked on The Stand came from the vicarious thrill of imagining an entire entrenched social order destroyed in one stroke."

There is much to admire in The Stand: the vivid thumbnail sketches with which King populates a whole landscape with dozens of believable characters; the deep sense of nostalgia for things left behind; the way it subverts our sense of reality by showing us a world we find familiar, then flipping it over to reveal the darkness underneath. Anyone who wants to know, or claims to know, the heart of the American experience needs to read this book. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:16 -0400)

Horrific disaster as a plague virus sweeps the U.S., leaving only a handful of survivors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,298,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible