The Stand by Stephen King

The Stand (original 1990; edition 2012)

by Stephen King

Member:Kris427
Title:The Stand
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 1200 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

The Stand by Stephen King (1990)

It by Stephen King (mwfnwa)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (Jacey25, drweb, smiteme)
    Swan Song by Robert McCammon (quartzite, infiniteletters, BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Dark, detailed tale of post-apocalyptic survivors fighting supernatural evil.
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King (aces)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (artturnerjr)
    Cell by Stephen King (jman14)
    jman14: It has been said that Cell is somewhat of a 're-make' of The Stand. It's a good book in my opinion, but The Stand is at least three times better. Good for anyone who likes their gory Apocalypses.
    The Shining by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (keremix)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (sturlington)
    sturlington: Watership Down is referenced in The Stand. They are similar epics about small bands of survivors who go on a long journey to establish a new home.
    Floating Dragon by Peter Straub (quartzite)
    Boy's Life by Robert McCammon (Catamount33)
    Ghost Road Blues by Jonathan Maberry (Scottneumann)
    Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (Scottneumann)
    The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy (sturlington)
    A Plague Upon Your Family (Zombie Fallout, Book 2) by Mark Tufo (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Epic, apocalyptic cross-country tale with supernatural elements of good v evil
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (mamasigs126)
    mamasigs126: Inspiration for King and a wonderful book.
    Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Epic struggles of good vs. evil

English (278)  Dutch (5)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (287)
This book was long, and intense, but good. The thought of something so horrible and scary happening in our own future is horrifying, but in the realm of possibility and that makes it even more scary. The battle of good vs evil is a reoccurring theme in King's novels and this is no different. I found the characters to be very well developed and felt truly heartbroken at some of the losses and even some of the possible losses before a death had even occurred (and sometimes didn't end up occurring at all.) It's definitely a book and a story that will tend to stay with the reader long after they finish the book. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
I like King, he tells such great tales!
This one, you know we are close to see it as real somedays, except for R Flagg!
Sure it would be hard on mankind; but so good for planet earth.... ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
My favorite of the King's, in terms of scope and ambition and all around bad-assedness. Even better than the book is the song "Among the Living" by Anthrax, which is about the book's antagonist, "the walking dude". Here's the lyric: "I'm the walking dude! Among the living, follow me or die."

Yes, I heard the song first in seventh grade, but that skinny, bespectacled, pre-pubescent boy still lives on in "The Stand" and the songs about it. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I read this years ago and then again for a book club. It is over 1100 pages. Apparently King took out about 400 pages when this was first published due to the cost of printing it but later added back a lot of the deleted pages. The story is that a disease gets loose and kills 99% or more of the people, horses and dogs in the world. This sets up a fight between good and evil for the remaining population. The bad guys are led by a mysterious man called the walking dude. The good side is led by a 106 year old Black woman living in Polk County Nebraska. The good guys go to Boulder and the bad guys go to Las Vegas. Interestingly, the bad guys are much more organized and gets the lights back on very quickly. Everyone has a job they work 8-5. Drug use is punished by death. There is very little of what we would consider crime. The good guys are less organized but do get the power back on. People work when they want and some are better at it like the ones trying to get the power back on or burying the dead. Most of the main characters are White men with only a few women and, other than Mother Abigail, few Blacks or other people of color.
  taurus27 | Mar 26, 2016 |
I have read this book too many times. at least 3 times I can remember but I'll know I will read it one more time in the future.

First I've read it in Dutch. I have loads of Dutch translated books still in my posession even though I will never read them anymore. The Dutch version is called De Beproeving.

This was one of my favorite Stephen king books, if not my favorite.

Other contenders are Book 2 and 3 of The Dark Tower series, and It.
Just checking my Bookcrossing shelf and it appears I do not owe an English copy of this book. Must get one. that is not good at all. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
In short (well, not so short), this is the book that has everything - adventure, romance, prophecy, allegory, satire, fantasy, realism, apocalypse, etc., etc. Even Roger Rabbit gets mentioned. ''The Stand'' does have some great moments and some great lines... But the overall effect is more oppressive than imposing.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andreasen, Mogens WenzelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We need help, the Poet reckoned.
--Edward Dorn
Outside the street's on fire In a real death waltz Between what's flesh and what's fantasy And the poets down here Don't write nothing at all They just stand back and let it all be And in the quick of the night They reach for their moment And try to make an honest stand... -- Bruce Springsteen
...And it was clear she couldn't go on, The door was opened and the wind appeared, The candles blew and then disappeared, The curtains flew and then he appeared, Said, "Don't be afraid, Come on, Mary," And she had no fear And she ran to him And they started to fly... She had taken his hand... Come on, Mary, Don't fear the reaper... -- Blue Oyster Cult
Well the deputy walks on hard nails And the preacher rides a mount But nothing really matters much, It's doom alone that counts And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn "Come in," she said, "I'll give ya Shelter from the storm." -- Bob Dylan
For my wife Tabitha:

This dark chest of wonders.
Hapscomb's Texaco sat on Number 93 just north of Arnette, a pissant four-street burg about 110 miles from Houston.
"Sally."
They were standing atop a snowbank nearly nine feet high. Crusted snow sloped steeply down to the bare road below, and to the right was a sign which read simply: Boulder City Limits.
"My life for you!"
Please do not combine The Stand with The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition. The new edition contains over 300 pages of new material and includes subplots and characters not included in the 1978 edition.
ISBNs associated with the Uncut version of The Stand include (0340358955 ,0340920955 ,0340951443 ,0385199570, 0450537374, 0451169530, 0451179285, 0517219018, 1568495714, 270961281X, 3404132130, 3404134117, 340425242X, 3404255240 ,840149896, 8497599411, 8573027002, 8789918304, 8845212173, 9021005719, 9024545579 ,9127063631)

When a man crashes his car into a petrol station, he brings with him the foul corpses of his wife and daughter. He dies and it doesn't take long for the plague which killed him to spread across America and the world.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451169530, Mass Market Paperback)

In 1978, science fiction writer Spider Robinson wrote a scathing review of The Stand in which he exhorted his readers to grab strangers in bookstores and beg them not to buy it.

The Stand is like that. You either love it or hate it, but you can't ignore it. Stephen King's most popular book, according to polls of his fans, is an end-of-the-world scenario: a rapidly mutating flu virus is accidentally released from a U.S. military facility and wipes out 99 and 44/100 percent of the world's population, thus setting the stage for an apocalyptic confrontation between Good and Evil.

"I love to burn things up," King says. "It's the werewolf in me, I guess.... The Stand was particularly fulfilling, because there I got a chance to scrub the whole human race, and man, it was fun! ... Much of the compulsive, driven feeling I had while I worked on The Stand came from the vicarious thrill of imagining an entire entrenched social order destroyed in one stroke."

There is much to admire in The Stand: the vivid thumbnail sketches with which King populates a whole landscape with dozens of believable characters; the deep sense of nostalgia for things left behind; the way it subverts our sense of reality by showing us a world we find familiar, then flipping it over to reveal the darkness underneath. Anyone who wants to know, or claims to know, the heart of the American experience needs to read this book. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:36 -0400)

Horrific disaster as a plague virus sweeps the U.S., leaving only a handful of survivors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible