Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, Book 1)…

Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Macy Beckett

Member:arlenadean
Title:Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, Book 1)
Authors:Macy Beckett
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Favorite Books, Finished Reading
Rating:*****
Tags:romance

Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs) by Macy Beckett

Sultry with a Twist
4 Stars

June Augustine returns to her home town of Sultry, Texas to sort out an arrest warrant from nine years ago. Forced to work side-by-side with Luke Gallagher, the man who broke her heart, June simply wants to complete her community service and get back to her life. Luke, on the other hand, wants nothing more than to start up where they left off, but can June’s heart handle another hit?

A surprisingly sweet and steamy story of second chances and true love.

Luke and June are an appealing and likable couple, and there is just the right amount of tension and angst in their relationship without crossing the line into irritating and annoying. June is an endearing klutz and it is amazing that she manages to survive the book in once piece. Nevertheless, the situations she gets herself into only add to her allure. Luke is an interesting mix of honorable and damaged. He has taken some hard knocks in life and finds it difficult to believe in love, but June isn’t willing to give up on him.

The small town setting and quirky secondary characters are entertaining. The contrast between the religious community and the sexy romance also contributes to the charm of the story.

All in all, a lovely contemporary romance recommended for readers who enjoy laugh-out loud dialogues and reading with a smile on their faces. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
A contemporary romance set in a small town, insert a grandmother with a mission, and two young people meant to be. And there you have it.

Mae-June has not spoken with her grandmother in ages. Sure I got why, still I felt sorry of her gran who was all alone. June loves her job, she has plans for her future and she is an all around nice woman. Still fate (meaning her grandmother Pru has other plans for her). Oh Pru, I do like grandmothers who know what they want, even if she would be way to tough for me.

Sultry Springs, is a god fearing community. Not so many meddling old women around here (but you know that they are there). We do meet some of the church ladies and the priest. A nice cast for this book. Together with Trey, but then who is Trey? I am ahead of myself, but I will say that I hope his book is next.

The hero then. That would be Lucas, June's best friend, and the guy she has a crush on when younger. Now they are both suddenly older, but not always wiser. He has baggage and, well that needs to be worked through. But I liked him. He had been hurt, he has lost what he wanted. A good guy, even if that chip on his shoulder was mighty big. Oh and Trey's is his best friend if you wondered ;)

Conclusion:
A sweet romance about finding the love you always wanted.
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
4.5 stars Really Cute! ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
I enjoyed this contemporary romance about rekindling a high school romance nine years later. I liked how the characters matured during the relationship but I thought the hero carried out his stubbornness from feeling worthless for too long. June must serve a month community service in her hometown where she encounters old boyfriend Luke.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Loved this one. I had actually read the second book in the series first, so I had a sense of the characters involved, but it was really wonderful to get to know Luke and June much better. In fact, now I want to go back and read book two again just to see them again.

There were a couple of times that I felt as though a jump had happened that wasn't entirely supported -- possibly something that got edited out from one draft to another -- thus the 4.5 rating rather than the 5. But all in all, it was one of those books that I had a hard time putting down. (Really hard, as in I stayed up until 3:30 a.m. one night finishing it.) I would definitely recommend it. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Sep 14, 2013 |

Completing a month of community service in her tiny Texas hometown, June Augustine would rather be opening an upscale martini bar in Austin, but finds her plans may be permanently altered by Luke Gallagher, her service supervisor, first love and ex-best friend.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,503,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible