Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, Book 1)…

Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Macy Beckett

Member:arlenadean
Title:Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs, Book 1)
Authors:Macy Beckett
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Favorite Books, Finished Reading
Rating:*****
Tags:romance

Sultry with a Twist (Sultry Springs) by Macy Beckett

Loved this one. I had actually read the second book in the series first, so I had a sense of the characters involved, but it was really wonderful to get to know Luke and June much better. In fact, now I want to go back and read book two again just to see them again.

There were a couple of times that I felt as though a jump had happened that wasn't entirely supported -- possibly something that got edited out from one draft to another -- thus the 4.5 rating rather than the 5. But all in all, it was one of those books that I had a hard time putting down. (Really hard, as in I stayed up until 3:30 a.m. one night finishing it.) I would definitely recommend it. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Sep 14, 2013 |
This book was entertaining, but also somewhat irritating. I thought all the crazy situations that June managed to find herself in were fun. I also liked Pru and the small town setting. The three legged cat made me smile!

My irritation mostly centers around Luke. I just wanted to slap him and tell him to get over all his drama. The way he treated June at times didn't sit well with me. It made him seem like a selfish jerk.

I enjoyed most of the book (although not the hero so much) so this one gets three stars. I'm not sure yet whether I'll read the next book in the series. ( )
  Jyl22075 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 5

Review:

"Sultry With A Twist" by Jonathan Carroll was a wonderful contemporary
romance with its setting being from a small town called Sultry Springs, Texas. This author will present the reader with a funny, clever and sweet love read about the second chance of love. I will only say that it was magic how this author was able to bring Mae-June July Augustine and Luke together again with all of the sexual tension making this such 'great flirty fun' read. Luke had once been June's oldest and best friend and her first love. Now, what had happened between them? Well, this is where I say you must pick up "Sultry With A Twist" to find out just what is going on in the good read. The characters were all so very interesting making you feel that you are right there with each of them. This was such a heart felt story that will leave you only wanting more from this well written read.

I love romance novels and this will be one of my favorites. "Sultry With A Twist" will definitely be a excellent recommendation novel from me because it is indeed a beautiful, fun, sweet and yes, sexy read. ( )
  arlenadean | Jan 26, 2013 |
Macy Beckett's debut romance novel, Sultry with a Twist, is the perfect blend of heartache, drama, love and southern charm. Where fate has a funny way of bringing you back to where you belong... or to who you belong to.

Mae-June July Augustine couldn't wait to get out of Sultry Springs, TX and put all her memories behind her to start a fresh and control-free life. Away from her overbearing grandmother, the memories of her hippie parents and long-lost love, June is just moments away from finally owning her own business and living the life she's always wanted. Six weeks away from opening day, a surprise puts a wrench in her plans - before she can get the rest of her licenses and permits she has to go settle a warrant for her arrest in her hometown, Sultry Springs. As much as she didn't ever want to back there, she is so confident that this will be a one day trip and will be taken care of in two-shakes, considering that the judge has always been like an uncle to her...
Well, imagine her surprise while waiting to see the judge she bumps into her childhood best friend and secret love, Lucas. And seeing Lucas, not only brings back all those good old memories, the boy has definitely gotten yummier with time. She feels things that she hasn't felt since the last time she's seen him. But that was then, and everyone's moved on. And she's determined to not stay in town for another minute longer... at least, that is until the judge orders her to stay in town for 30 days to complete community service. And more specifically, stay and make amends with her grandmother.
And little does June know, Grandma Pru has things up her sleeve too.

Lucas, his story is such a tragic and sad one. I couldn't help falling for him too. He is overly caring and protective of everyone he loves - but he won't use that l-o-v-e word. He never did and is determine to never use it too. Sounds harsh, but once I learned his story, my heart melted and all I wanted to do was hug him and make things all better - it does help that he rarely wears a shirt while working on his charity houses.

Will June be able to show Lucas that he deserves love?
Will Lucas finally let his guard down and live the life he's always dreamed of?
Is Grandma Pru ever wrong? (Of course not!)

So many laugh-out-loud moments - especially with Lucas' work crew and best friend Trey. June is spirited and full of trouble keeping everyone on their toes!
Definitely a fun-filled romantic read! I highly recommend it! ( )
  thebumblegirl | Nov 4, 2012 |
Generally in every book you will find a word, phrase or sentence which sums the book up. For Sultry with a Twist it is, "Love isn't a feeling, it's a choice, an action, a show of goodwill. It's about serving our brother, listening to him and supporting him without benefit to ourselves. It's believing the best about someone who's wronged us. And love never quits, never abandons in a time of need..."

Sultry with a Twist is the debut novel from romance author Macy Beckett. When I think of this book, so many different thoughts come to mind. You have a little religion, you have some steamy love scenes, and some funny, "I can't believe that just happened" moments. Sultry with a Twist was not what I expected and for that I'm glad. I can't wait for the second book to come out. But wait, I don't wanna get ahead of myself.

I've seen the letters "HEA" going around a lot. I had no idea what they stood for. HEA means Happily Ever After. This book is definitely that and then some.

June (wait until you hear her whole name) Augustine and Luke Gallagher grew up together. Due to sad circumstances which happened in their young lives, both June and Luke were raised by Prudence Foster, June's maternal grandmother. Prudence a six-foot-tall pillar of fortitude is VERY religious and ruled her house with a wooden spoon. Because she was so strict, she ran them both off the day they graduated from high school, only to regret her actions and attempt to rectify them years later.

Some people say that you never forget your first love. In both June and Luke's case, this is true. June has loved Luke since they were kids. Luke has always felt unworthy of anyone's love. He's a good man who just doesn't see himself the way others do.

June is really sweet, loving and caring. She's also an accident waiting to happen, some funny and some not so funny. It's one of those accidents that forces Luke to realize his feelings for her. And it's June's unselfish act that finally makes Luke realize that she truly loves him and that he's wasted the last ten years of his life. I can't tell if Grammy "Pru" totally orchestrated the two getting together or not, but she definitely knew what was going on, and looked the other way several times. There's also Luke's best friend of almost nine years, the lovable Trey Lewis who never agrees with him.

The worst part about the Sultry Spring series is having to wait five months for Trey's story to be told in A Shot of Sultry. I really like this book and I can't wait to return to Sultry Springs, Texas to see what happens next.

I received this book from NetGalley, in exchanged for my un-biased review. ( )
  ReadYourWrites | Oct 5, 2012 |

Completing a month of community service in her tiny Texas hometown, June Augustine would rather be opening an upscale martini bar in Austin, but finds her plans may be permanently altered by Luke Gallagher, her service supervisor, first love and ex-best friend.… (more)

Macy Beckett is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,664,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible