The Unseen Guest by Maryrose Wood

The Unseen Guest

by Maryrose Wood

Other authors: Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place (3)

1842064,254 (3.91)36

Description: Of especially naughty children it is sometimes said, "They must have been raised by wolves."

The Incorrigible children actually were.

Since returning from London, the three Incorrigible children and their plucky governess, Miss Penelope Lumley, have been exceedingly busy. Despite their wolfish upbringing, the children have taken up bird-watching, with no unfortunate consequences—yet. And a perplexing gift raises hard questions about how Penelope came to be left at the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females and why her parents never bothered to return for her.

But hers is not the only family mystery to solve. When Lord Fredrick's long-absent mother arrives with the noted explorer Admiral Faucet, gruesome secrets tumble out of the Ashton family tree. And when the admiral's prized racing ostrich gets loose in the forest, it will take all the Incorrigibles' skills to find her.

The hunt for the runaway ostrich is on. But Penelope is worried. Once back in the wild, will the children forget about books and poetry and go back to their howling, wolfish ways? What if they never want to come back to Ashton Place at all?

Thoughts: This episode in the tale of the Incorrigibles and Ms. Penelope Lumley was delightful, but not perfect. Finally, we get to see the Incorrigibles in the wild and uncover a whole pack (hahaha) of clues about their lives prior to Ashton place. And Penelope finally starts to really break out of just being a Swanborne girl and wonderful governess and starts to become a resourceful, interesting, determined young lady with the gumption to make things happen as she believes they should. What pluck!

And my word, could there be any more intrigue going on? More twisted clues that are near impossible to clearly unravel? I doubt it, but since the next book is called The Interrupted Tale I have a bit of an idea that I will be proved wrong.

My only real complaint is that I would have liked the middle bit in the forest to have been longer and the intrigue at the end to have been a bit shorter. Mostly because the forest was just so DAMN INTERESTING! Can't wait for my library to get the next one. If it doesn't come in soon I may say waiting be damned and just buy it. ;)

Rating: 4.08

Liked: 4
Plot: 4
Characterization: 4
Writing: 4
Audio: 4.5

http://www.librarything.com/topic/160137#4412907 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 19, 2015 |
I enjoyed this one more than I did the second in the series, and it's rekindled my interest in reading the fourth (which will hopefully stay smoldering until that book comes out (my interest, not the book. I am opposed to book-burning of any kind)).

I really love the way Wood uses puns and introduces inside jokes into the story that readers can look out for along the way. I especially appreciated the pangs with which Penelope experiences the awareness that comes with growing up and replacing childish tastes with more grown-up ones. Her emotions as Wood portrays them seem real and familiar to me. The plot is convoluted and the reveals parceled out with maddening slowness, but my kids and I still find these books a pleasure to listen to.

Oh, and that reminds me: five stars all the way to Katherine Kellgren, who reads the books on the audio editions we get from the library. She is absolutely fantastic. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 1, 2014 |
Perhaps not quite as strong as the other books in the series, this book is still an enjoyable read. At some point, however, one longs for answers instead of more questions! ( )
  MadameWho | Nov 21, 2014 |
The Incorrigibles are even more adorable as they get older and their vocabulary increases. Young Miss Penelope Lumley has proven her considerable governess skills though just 16 years of age and has grown up quite a bit herself! Some readers were upset that this book raised more questions than it answered. I disagree. Even if Lamarooo hasn't put all the pieces together yet, she certainly has a lot of new clues to investigate. Katherine Kellgren narrates with her usual spunk and energy, giving each character a distinctive and fitting voice. Much fun. ( )
  bookappeal | Aug 13, 2014 |
the joke is getting too thin for, after 2 books of chortling, this one just didn't do it for me. I will still recommend the series to lovers of Lemony Snicket though. ( )
  celerydog | Nov 28, 2013 |

Maryrose Woodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klassen, JonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my students, from whom I learn much
Lumawoo, look. What bird?
The woods are full of surprises. But so is the house, miss. So is the land, and so is the sea. (Old Timothy to Miss Lumley)

The Incorrigible children actually were.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:44 -0400)

"Miss Penelope Lumley embarks on an investigation into the mysteries surrounding the Incorrigible children, Lord Ashton, the forests of Ashton Place, and her own past"--

31 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,176,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible