The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place:…

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book III: The Unseen Guest (edition 2012)

by Maryrose Wood, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

1801965,840 (3.9)34
Member:Kathagator
Title:The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book III: The Unseen Guest
Authors:Maryrose Wood
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Balzer Bray (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:library, children's, fiction

The Unseen Guest by Maryrose Wood

I enjoyed this one more than I did the second in the series, and it's rekindled my interest in reading the fourth (which will hopefully stay smoldering until that book comes out (my interest, not the book. I am opposed to book-burning of any kind)).

I really love the way Wood uses puns and introduces inside jokes into the story that readers can look out for along the way. I especially appreciated the pangs with which Penelope experiences the awareness that comes with growing up and replacing childish tastes with more grown-up ones. Her emotions as Wood portrays them seem real and familiar to me. The plot is convoluted and the reveals parceled out with maddening slowness, but my kids and I still find these books a pleasure to listen to.

Oh, and that reminds me: five stars all the way to Katherine Kellgren, who reads the books on the audio editions we get from the library. She is absolutely fantastic.
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 1, 2014 |
Perhaps not quite as strong as the other books in the series, this book is still an enjoyable read. At some point, however, one longs for answers instead of more questions! ( )
  MadameWho | Nov 21, 2014 |
The Incorrigibles are even more adorable as they get older and their vocabulary increases. Young Miss Penelope Lumley has proven her considerable governess skills though just 16 years of age and has grown up quite a bit herself! Some readers were upset that this book raised more questions than it answered. I disagree. Even if Lamarooo hasn't put all the pieces together yet, she certainly has a lot of new clues to investigate. Katherine Kellgren narrates with her usual spunk and energy, giving each character a distinctive and fitting voice. Much fun. ( )
  bookappeal | Aug 13, 2014 |
the joke is getting too thin for, after 2 books of chortling, this one just didn't do it for me. I will still recommend the series to lovers of Lemony Snicket though. ( )
  celerydog | Nov 28, 2013 |
The Ashtons, Incorrigibles, and Penelope have been back from London for only a few days when Lord Frederick's mother shows up, with a new boyfriend in tow. The boyfriend is obsessed with his latest money-making scheme, racing ostriches, but he seems a bit too interested in the children for Penelope's taste.

Well, not very many answers here either. And also more questions. Reading these books is like watching an episode of Lost: each book gives you 1 kind-of-answer and 5 huge new questions. But they're still really entertaining. Penelope is a perfect unexpected heroine, and the villains are never too villain-y, nor not villain-y enough. The children are adorable, and all of the supporting characters are excellent. ( )
1 vote norabelle414 | May 8, 2013 |

Maryrose Woodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klassen, JonIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my students, from whom I learn much
Lumawoo, look. What bird?
The woods are full of surprises. But so is the house, miss. So is the land, and so is the sea. (Old Timothy to Miss Lumley)

Of especially naughty children it is sometimes said, "They must have been raised by wolves."

The Incorrigible children actually were.

Since returning from London, the three Incorrigible children and their plucky governess, Miss Penelope Lumley, have been exceedingly busy. Despite their wolfish upbringing, the children have taken up bird-watching, with no unfortunate consequences—yet. And a perplexing gift raises hard questions about how Penelope came to be left at the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females and why her parents never bothered to return for her.

But hers is not the only family mystery to solve. When Lord Fredrick's long-absent mother arrives with the noted explorer Admiral Faucet, gruesome secrets tumble out of the Ashton family tree. And when the admiral's prized racing ostrich gets loose in the forest, it will take all the Incorrigibles' skills to find her.

The hunt for the runaway ostrich is on. But Penelope is worried. Once back in the wild, will the children forget about books and poetry and go back to their howling, wolfish ways? What if they never want to come back to Ashton Place at all?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:44 -0400)

"Miss Penelope Lumley embarks on an investigation into the mysteries surrounding the Incorrigible children, Lord Ashton, the forests of Ashton Place, and her own past"--

31 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,362,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible