Till offer åt Molok by Åsa Larsson

Till offer åt Molok (edition 2012)

by Åsa Larsson (Author)

Info:Bonnier, 2012
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Rebecka Martinsson

The Second Deadly Sin by Åsa Larsson

English (13)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  All languages (20)
3,78 sterren Engels
  cohoek | Jan 31, 2016 |
The Second Deadly Sin by Asa Larsson (translated by Laurie Thompson)

The Second Deadly Sin is the fifth book in the Rebecka Martinsson mystery series and the first book by this author for me. I have enjoyed previous Scandinavian crime fiction from the Norwegian author, Jo Nesbo and Stieg Larsson of Dragon Tattoo fame. The author had received numerous literary awards for previous works so I decided it was time to dip my toe into the Swedish countryside.

The title's reference to second "deadly sins" took me to internet for a refresher; second on the list is avarice or greed. The author's foreword informs the reader of the fury of God for those failing to follow His laws. His punishments are pretty harsh. She specifically refers to Moloch (Leviticus, Chapter 20) and the wrath of God on all future generations of his family. That was a hint of things to come.

The book opens with a graphic description of man versus man-eating bear, and ends with the death of the bear and the discovery of human bones in its stomach.

Chapter headings indicate the action takes place over five days in October. We are introduced to District Prosecutor Rebecka Martinsson and given a tour of her family home where we meet Brat and Vera, her dogs. Her first visitor is a physically disfigured policeman, Krister Eriksson and his sheepdogs, Tintin and Roy. A neighbor arrives looking for a ride to check out the welfare of a friend, Sol-Britt.

Sol-Britt Uusitalo has been savagely murdered and her young grandson, Marcus is missing. One-by-one the characters appear in the story line. Police and associated forensic associates are introduced with the requisite narcissistic officer determined to undermine our heroine, Rebecka.

It turns out that Sol-Britt's family has a history of unexplained tragedies. Sol-Britt's father, Frans Uusitalo, was the man eaten by the bear. Her grandmother was raped and beaten to death. A brother was run over in a hit-and-run accident.

The story abruptly lurches into April 15, 1914 and begins a parallel story line with a schoolteacher, Elina Pettersson. I felt the transition between the two stories, one in World War I and the other in the present, was a little awkward at times. It was difficult at times to figure out the decade being discussed as more unfortunate family members turn up dead in what was determined initially to be accidents.

I felt the story of Elina and her lover was drawn out way too long. The crazed villain who murdered Elina was a detestable character but the story failed to define the reasons for his intense hatred of women. The detailed descriptions of the Swedish mining industry with its concomitant international importance to the war was interesting.

Sprinkled throughout the story was the developing intimacy between Rebecka and Krister that ended sweetly but predictably. Rebecka has a mysteriously absent fiance, Måns, who probably could have been left out of the book.

Overall I would say the book was a good read but not a great read. There were suspenseful moments that captured my attention and I am glad to have had the chance to read this book as an advance copy. ( )
  Itzey | Jan 23, 2016 |
An interesting and well-translated murder mystery. Number 5 in the series but the first one I have read. Characters have depth, the story is well told and believable. I was concerned for the main characters and intrigued by the mystery. ( )
1 vote PennyAnne | Mar 1, 2015 |
District Prosecutor Rebecka Martinsson and police dog handler Krister Eriksson are on the case of a woman who was murdered by being stabbed to death over and over again, leaving behind her grandson. Traumatized, the young boy Marcus had no family he could turn to and since he had taken to Eriksson, was allowed to temporarily remain in his care.

The Second Deadly Sin was a fascinating tale of interwoven relationships among a the inhabitants of s small town over 3 generations. The story moves back and forth between the early 1900's and the present day. It is discovered that Sol-Britt is not the only one in her family to have been murdered. While the investigative team does not delve into the murders of her other family members, as readers we go back into her family history and learn about these individuals, their lives and their relationships as they all play a part in the murderous affair at hand.

There were a lot of characters to keep track of in the Second Deadly Sin, and a lot of unfamiliar names and places as the book takes place in Sweden. The book was written in Swedish, and this publication is it's translation to English. It's worth persisting with keeping track of everything though because the book is excellent.

This book definitely adult fare only however as there are some graphic adult scenes in the book. This includes a sexual predator and the murder he commits. There is also a moderate amount of profanity to be found as well, although it wasn't enough to turn me away from reading this book.

The characters are believable and ones you can identify with. You can feel the poverty and harsh circumstances of living in the far northern lands where the sun barely sets in winter in the early 21st century. I felt the sad at the anguish Martinsson felt when she did what had to be done in order to save Marcus' life.

I would definitely re-read this novel, if only to clarify in my mind some of the things I had a difficult time keeping track of when I read it the first time through. I gave The Second Deadly Sin 5 stars out of 5. Mystery and crime readers should love this one!

Thank you to the publishers via NetGalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own. ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | Feb 20, 2015 |
3.5 stars ( )
  RowingRabbit | Nov 11, 2014 |

Det är miljöerna, människorna och den underliggande värmen som lyfter Åsa Larssons deckare. Lotta Olsson läser den nya boken ”Till offer åt Molok” och blir riktigt överraskad.

Det är inte intrigerna som gör att man älskar Åsa Larssons deckare. Men det brukar man inte komma på förrän efteråt.

I stället är det miljöerna, människorna, språket och den underliggande värmen. Och hundarna, förstås. Åsa Larsson älskar sina personer, hon kliar både människor och hundar bakom öronen och väver in dem i en mänsklighet där allt går åt helvete men ändå är värt besväret.
added by annek49 | editDagens nyheter, Lotta Olsson (Apr 10, 2012)

How can a dog possibly scream like that?

Femte boken med kammaråklagare Rebecka Martinsson. I byn Lainio har en björn skjutits. Vid besiktningen återfinns en människotumme i björnmagen. Senare hittar man en kvinna som blivit brutalt mördad i sitt hem. Rebecka Martinsson leder förundersökningen, men blir sedan bortkopplad. Då börjar hon egna efterforskningar. Annotation supplied by BTJ Sverige AB.

When a bear hunt culminates in the discovery of a brutally murdered woman in a northern Swedish village, Rebecka Martinsson delves into the victim's tragic family history, only to be blocked from the case by an arrogant prosecutor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,509,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible