Lizz Free or Die: Essays by Lizz Winstead

Lizz Free or Die: Essays

by Lizz Winstead

This is a great book if you have an open mind and a sense of humor. I laughed out loud at many parts, and found others very touching. I can't wait to have my wife and daughters read it.

Warning: If you love Rush Limbaugh or Glenn beck, you will probably not like this book. But you should read it anyway. ( )
  grandpahobo | Apr 1, 2013 |
I finished Lizz Free Or Die a few weeks ago, and I've found myself telling bits and pieces of it to friends since. The book is a collection of autobiographical essays about Lizz Winstead's life and career, and while it isn't the next Bossypants, it is a very good read. I chose it because I love The Daily Show and knew she was one of the original creators, but I really didn't know anything else about her. Unfortunately, she left before Jon Stewart joined The Daily Show and she really glossed over her reasons for leaving, so it wasn't a very satisfying "behind-the-scenes look" for fans of the show. I found that I was more interested in her childhood and her family than in her career, and those essays were some of the funniest and most touching. I was fascinated by Winstead's Minnesota Catholic family. She has a whole essay about creepy Catholic iconography called "Decorate to Manipulate", as well as one about the disappointment and confusion she felt upon learning that she could not be an altar boy just because she's a girl. The whole book is a good celebrity memoir mix of origin story, self-deprecating humor, name dropping (she was roommates with Michele Norris in Minneapolis, she discovered Rachel Maddow, she's friends with Sarah Silverman), and undeniable talent. ( )
  kisigler | Nov 28, 2012 |
Lizz Winstead is co-creator and former head writer of The Daily Show, one of the founders of Air America Radio, and a performer and stand-up comedian who frequently appears on MSNBC, CNN, and Comedy Central. In Lizz Free or Die, Lizz begins by writing about growing up in a Catholic family in Minnesota, and how she frequently exasperated her mother by being one of those inquisitive kids who questions everything, especially the lessons she was being taught by the Catholic Church. Even at the age of eight, Lizz knew that she didn’t have the “mommy gene” and she didn’t enjoy playing house or playing with dolls like her friends did; she had more fun teaching herself gymnastics and doing things that she was told were unlady-like.

After reading just the first two essays in Lizz Free or Die, I realized that Lizz Winstead is my political, no-mommy-gene, unlady soul mate.The rest of the essays in the book go on to tell about her teenage years, her time in college, and the people and circumstances in her life that led her to becoming a progressive political activist who uses comedy to shine a light on the political and social injustices in our country, as well as the ridiculousness that goes on in the mainstream media.

Finish reading my review on Between the Covers... ( )
  Heather_BTC | Jul 27, 2012 |
I'm a fan of Lizz Winstead's work. I mostly share her politics. I did not like most of this book. The tone is intolerant and smug. When she's not trying to prove how cool and smart she is--it's really engaging and funny. But most of the time, she's dropping names like they're coated in butter and telling us how much smarter she is than everyone else. meh.
Review Haiku:
Not many laughs 'cause
Little irks me more than a
liberal bigot ( )
1 vote mazeway | Jul 9, 2012 |
I loved this book. I was somewhat familiar with Ms. Winstead from having seen her on MSNBC and from the early days of The Daily Show. This book resonates with me as a feminist and a politics geek, in spite of being several decades later and coming from a radically different background. Furthermore, it makes me laugh. Combined, this book earns the highest compliment I can give: I read it at traffic lights.

This review was based on a free ARC received from the publisher. ( )
  Unreachableshelf | Apr 3, 2012 |

"Lizz Winstead, co-creator of The Daily Show and one of today's most hilarious comedians and insightful social critics, pens a brilliant account of how she discovered her comedic voice.In this collection of autobiographical essays, Winstead vividly recounts how she fought to find her own voice, both as a comedian and as a woman, and how humor became her most powerful weapon in confronting life's challenges.Growing up in the Midwest, the youngest child of conservative Catholic parents, Winstead learned early in her life that the straightforward questions she posed to various authority figures around her-her parents, her parish priest, even an anti-abortion counselor -prompted many startled looks and uncomfortable silences, but few answers. Her questions rattled people because they exposed the inconsistencies and hypocrisies in the people and institutions she confronted. Yet she didn't let that stop her from pursuing her dreams. Funny and biting, honest and poignant, this no-holds-barred collection gives an in-depth look into the life of one of today's most influential comic voices. In writing about her childhood longing to be a priest, her role in developing The Daily Show, and of her often problematic habit of diving into everything head first, asking questions later (resulting in multiple rescue-dog adoptions and travel disasters), Lizz Winstead has tapped an outrageous and heartfelt vein of the all-too-human comedy"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,409,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible