The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers

The Yellow Birds (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Kevin Powers

Member:donnacornick
Title:The Yellow Birds
Authors:Kevin Powers
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (2012), Edition: Export/Travel ed, Paperback
Rating:*****

The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (Author) (2012)

English (101)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (108)
This story is about young soldiers in Iraq and what happens when one of them flips out. I'm glad I listened to it, but it just didn't feel as believable to me and I had some issues with the underlying premise. I hate to explain, because I would have to reveal all. So if you have read it and want to talk, please dialogue with me. I will say that it is a good glimpse into what the soldiers over there faced (it takes place in 2004). ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
“Grief is a practical mechanism, and we only grieved those we knew. All others who died in Al Tafar were part of the landscape, as if something had sown seeds in that city that made bodies rise from the earth, in the dirt or up through the pavement like flowers after a frost, dried and withering under a cold, bright sun." (Ch 6)

In Al Tafar, Nineveh Province, Iraq, Privates Bartle and Murphy, 21-years-old and 18-years-old respectively, battle under the command of Sergeant Sterling, not much older than they. The young men, both from Georgia, met at Fort Benning – Bartle recalls promising Murphy’s mother that he would bring her son home alive, and Sargeant Sterling advising the young solider that he wanted him to “get in Bartle’s back pocket and I want you to stay there." (Ch 2) As the novel opens, the platoon has launched (another) bloody battle for Al Tafar; and Bartle observes that his friend has “grown old in the ten months I’d known him.” (Ch 2) In the endless days that follow, the two will do everything they can to protect one another. But only Bartle will go home to the US – a fate perhaps even less kind than death: "My missing him became a grave that could not be filled or leveled, just a faded blemish in a field and a damn poor substitute for grief, as graves so often are.” (Ch 7)

The Yellow Birds is a powerful, necessary read – an unforgettable account of friendship and loss, and a stark portrayal of the brutality and desperation of war, and of its unimaginable after-effects. Powers, an Iraq War veteran, unmistakably draws on first hand experience. My only criticism of the novel is that the prose occasionally tends to the too-poetic (Powers is also a poet), which I found created a discordant effect between language and subject. The novel has been hailed as the All Quiet on the Western Front of the Middle East. And, while I personally prefer Remarque’s novel, I think the importance of writing about the soldiers’ experience of Iraq cannot be overestimated. Highly recommended.

“Now I know: All pain is the same. Only the details are different.” (Ch 7) ( )
2 vote lit_chick | Apr 5, 2016 |
Beautifully written, complex and sad. Captures well the paradoxes of being a soldier, but I wish we didn't need to read about war.
  Lylee | Apr 3, 2016 |
There was an interesting juxtaposition between the harsh and fast-paced action with the poetic and mesmerizing prose. Beautiful and haunting. ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
A book that is beautiful in the way that terribly sad things can often be beautiful. Powers presents an incredibly lyrical and believable fictional account of a soldier's experiences during and after the Iraq war. The simplicity and restraint the author employs in this slim novel add weight to the story presented, and highlight the far-reaching effects of that war not just on those who served- but on those remaining at home. Strong statements like this novel are welcome reminders to not forget or ignore the effects of senseless conflicts. ( )
  Matthew.Ducmanas | Mar 18, 2016 |
A remarkable, beautifully understated, powerful, yet poised novel.

The novel moves, fitfully, through Virginia and Iraq and Germany and New Jersey and Kentucky, from 2003 to 2009. Recalling the war, Bartle says, is “like putting a puzzle together from behind: the shapes familiar, the picture quickly fading, the muted tan of the cardboard backing a tease at wholeness and completion.” This serves the story in two ways. First, it turns readers into active participants, enlisting them in a sense as co-authors who fit together the many memories and guess at what terrible secret lies in wait, the truth behind Murphy’s death. Because they lean forward instead of back, because they participate in piecing together the puzzle, they are made more culpable.

Then too, the fractured structure replicates the book’s themes. Like a chase scene made up of sentences that run on and on and ultimately leave readers breathless, or like a concert description that stops and starts, that swings and sways, that makes us stamp our feet and clap our hands — the nonlinear design of Powers’s novel is a beautifully brutal example of style matching content. War destroys. It doesn’t just rip through bone and muscle, stone and steel; it fragments the mind as a fist to a mirror might create thousands of bloodied, glittering shards.

...and while few will have expected the war in Iraq to bring forth a novel that can stand beside All Quiet on the Western Front or The Red Badge of Courage, The Yellow Birds does just that, for our time, as those books did for theirs.
added by Milesc | editThe Guardian, John Burnside (Aug 31, 2012)

Powers, KevinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abelsen, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A yellow bird   With a yellow bill   Was perched upon   My windowsill     I lured him in   With a piece of bread   And then I smashed   His fucking head.. ----- Traditional U.S. Army Marching Cadence ------
To be ignorant of evils to come, and forgetfull of evils past, is a mercifull provision in nature, whereby we digest the mixture of our few and eveil dayes, and our delivered senses not relapsing into cutting remembrances, our sorrows are not kept raw by the edge of repetitions.   ----- Sir Thomas Browne
For my wife
Στη γυναίκα μου
The war tried to kill us in the spring.
If you get back to the States in your head before your ass is there too, then you are a fucking dead man.
It reminded me of talking, how what is said is never quite what was thought, and what is heard is never quite what was said, it wasn't much in the way of comfort, but everything has a little failure in it, and we still make do somehow.

Bartle , 21 ans , est soldat en Irak à Al Tafar. Depuis l'entraînement , lui et Murph , 18 an sont inseparables . Bartle a fait la promesse de le ramener vivant au pays . Une promesse qu'il n'a pas pu tenir ... Murphy hante dès lors ses rêves de soldat et , plus tard de veteran.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316219363, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, Debut Spotlight, September 2012: With The Yellow Birds, Kevin Powers introduces himself as a writer of prodigious talent and ambition. The novel opens in 2004, when two soldiers, 21-year-old Bartle and the teenaged Murphy, meet in boot camp on the eve of their deployment to Iraq. Bartle, bound by a promise to Murphy's mother to guide him home safely, takes the young private under his wing as they move through the bloody conflict that "rubbed its thousand ribs against the ground in prayer." Powers, an Iraq veteran, eyes the casual violence of war with a poet's precision but without romanticism, moving confidently between scenes of blunt atrocity and almost hallucinatory detachment with Hemingway-like economy and prose that shimmers like desert heat. Compact and emotionally intense, The Yellow Birds joins a maturing and impressive collection of Iraq War literature--both memoir and fiction--that includes Brian Castner's The Long Walk and Ben Fountain's Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. --Jon Foro

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:51 -0400)

In the midst of a bloody battle in the Iraq War, two soldiers, bound together since basic training, do everything to protect each other from both outside enemies and the internal struggles that come from constant danger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,134,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible