The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers

The Yellow Birds (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Kevin Powers

887None10,059 (3.82)142
Member:Jim53
Title:The Yellow Birds
Authors:Kevin Powers
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (2012), Edition: Export/Travel ed, Paperback
Tags:fiction, American, 21st century, war, Iraq, meetup, read 2013

The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (2012)

English (76)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (81)
3.5, really ( )
  patsaintsfan | Apr 15, 2014 |
Good story, quick read, sad. ( )
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |
#17. [The Yellow Birds] by Kevin Powers

The Yellow Birds was an okay book. I wasn't blown away by it. I disliked the way the book went from one place to another each chapter. You start out in Iraq in 2004 and the next chapter you are in Fort Dix NJ in 2003. I found myself getting confused at first. I read the last chapters by skipping and reading the ones that went together.

I found the story line interesting about the war and how a person deals with the war, the training and after returning from the war. That part of the book I enjoyed I just didn't like the going back and forth in the book. I have read books like this before and have found the same thing, that I do not enjoy that writing style.

I would suggest reading this book just for the information and to see how our men and women deal with war.

3 stars

I am still reading [My Water Path] by Timothy Joseph and will be starting [Real Vampires Live Large] by Gerry Bartlett

Happy Reading all!! ( )
  crazy4reading | Mar 18, 2014 |
Following Private Bartle through his tour in Iraq and his return stateside, Yellow Birds uses a time-tested flashback structure to explore the impact our most recent wars have on those who serve. The writing is lyrically intense, owing much to earlier writers in depicting the horrors and beauty experienced in war zones. Those who enjoy war stories, and particularly those who prefer literary fiction, will find this book of interest.

Major appeal: Language

Further reading options: The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien, Jarhead - Anthony Swofford, Fobbit - David Abrams (forthcoming in Sept)

nwreader14 | Jan 21, 2014 |
Destined to become a classic, The Yellow Birds is one of the greatest war stories of our time. ( )
  KayMackey | Jan 7, 2014 |
A remarkable, beautifully understated, powerful, yet poised novel.

The novel moves, fitfully, through Virginia and Iraq and Germany and New Jersey and Kentucky, from 2003 to 2009. Recalling the war, Bartle says, is “like putting a puzzle together from behind: the shapes familiar, the picture quickly fading, the muted tan of the cardboard backing a tease at wholeness and completion.” This serves the story in two ways. First, it turns readers into active participants, enlisting them in a sense as co-authors who fit together the many memories and guess at what terrible secret lies in wait, the truth behind Murphy’s death. Because they lean forward instead of back, because they participate in piecing together the puzzle, they are made more culpable.

Then too, the fractured structure replicates the book’s themes. Like a chase scene made up of sentences that run on and on and ultimately leave readers breathless, or like a concert description that stops and starts, that swings and sways, that makes us stamp our feet and clap our hands — the nonlinear design of Powers’s novel is a beautifully brutal example of style matching content. War destroys. It doesn’t just rip through bone and muscle, stone and steel; it fragments the mind as a fist to a mirror might create thousands of bloodied, glittering shards.

...and while few will have expected the war in Iraq to bring forth a novel that can stand beside All Quiet on the Western Front or The Red Badge of Courage, The Yellow Birds does just that, for our time, as those books did for theirs.
added by Milesc | editThe Guardian, John Burnside (Aug 31, 2012)

For my wife
Στη γυναίκα μου
The war tried to kill us in the spring.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316219363, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, Debut Spotlight, September 2012: With The Yellow Birds, Kevin Powers introduces himself as a writer of prodigious talent and ambition. The novel opens in 2004, when two soldiers, 21-year-old Bartle and the teenaged Murphy, meet in boot camp on the eve of their deployment to Iraq. Bartle, bound by a promise to Murphy's mother to guide him home safely, takes the young private under his wing as they move through the bloody conflict that "rubbed its thousand ribs against the ground in prayer." Powers, an Iraq veteran, eyes the casual violence of war with a poet's precision but without romanticism, moving confidently between scenes of blunt atrocity and almost hallucinatory detachment with Hemingway-like economy and prose that shimmers like desert heat. Compact and emotionally intense, The Yellow Birds joins a maturing and impressive collection of Iraq War literature--both memoir and fiction--that includes Brian Castner's The Long Walk and Ben Fountain's Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. --Jon Foro

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:52 -0400)

In the midst of a bloody battle in the Iraq War, two soldiers, bound together since basic training, do everything to protect each other from both outside enemies and the internal struggles that come from constant danger.

254 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible