Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of…

Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace (original 2012; edition 2012)

by D. T. Max

4201925,247 (3.86)1 / 45
Member:beelzebubba
Title:Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace
Authors:D. T. Max
Info:Viking Adult (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:biography, signed by author

Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace by D.T. Max (Author) (2012)

Understanding David Foster Wallace (Understanding Contemporary American Literature) by Marshall Boswell (EnriqueFreeque)
    EnriqueFreeque: Digs deeper into DFWs writing, circa 1985-1999, published almost a decade before he died. Commentary of his career unshadowed by his suicide.

An insightful look at the life and work of one of the greatest writers in history; time will tell how well this book fares in the future, if new revelations about Wallace's life ever come to light. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Jul 3, 2016 |
I found that this book was well written, interesting and struck a good balance relative to Wallace's life. Well worth the time. ( )
  ronsea | Feb 16, 2016 |
Heartbreaking.
  imjustmea | Jun 1, 2014 |
You close the book on this all-too-short and unfinished life and a small sound (a sigh?) escapes from you, regret, compassion, sorrow. Wisely, Max, the biographer stays in the background, offering information with virtually no superficial speculation so that an outline - perhaps a bit like one described in The Pale King emerges of David Foster Wallace, ghostly but possible to apprehend. I began my Wallace adventure with Oblivion, then read some of his essays in A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again (still haven't finished) then Infinite Jest and finally, I listened to The Broom of the System and when I picked up the biography I still knew virtually nothing about him, or rather, about all I knew was that he must have played tennis as a kid. What I couldn't grasp was how one person could have so much inside of him, so much to say, and so much of it so true. Infinite Jest in particular was so different from anything and so unexpected, how, in all that dense language and the shenanigans and commentary this tremendous sweetness hidden at the core. So now I have a better idea of where Wallace came from, what happened to him: how he could write about such a wide range of people and experiences. The biography is solid and unpretentious and Max does a careful job of linking some experiences with Wallace's writing but doesn't overdo it. Nor does he overdo or shy away from the extent of Wallace's emotional problems and the devastation these caused in his life. It's a balanced effort, making no pretension of figuring anything out and I appreciated that! **** ( )
4 vote sibyx | Apr 8, 2014 |
Concise, informed, non-judgmental, summarizes the reviews/reception of Wallace's work and touches on the issues it raises. Very well done. ( )
  Gerard670 | Nov 27, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0670025925, Hardcover)

Visit Amazon's books blog, Omnivoracious.com, to read an exclusive essay from D.T. Max: "5 Things You Didn't Know About David Foster Wallace - But Should."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

"The first biography of the renowned American author David Foster Wallace. Wallace was on of the most innovative and influential authors of the last twenty-five years. A writer whose distinctive style and example had a huge impact on the culture and helped give meaning to his generation in a disorienting, distressing time. In this first in-depth biography, journalist D.T. Max captures Wallace's compelling, turbulent life and times--his genius, his struggle to stay sane and happy in a difficult world, his anxiety and loneliness--as well as why he mattered as a writer and a human being"--… (more)

77 wanted3 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,362,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible