AMPED by Douglas E. Richards

AMPED (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Douglas E. Richards

Member:1dragones
Title:AMPED
Authors:Douglas E. Richards
Info:Paragon Press (2012), Kindle Edition, 326 pages
Collections:E-book, Mystery, Promo Books, Review Pending, Science Fiction, Your library

Amped by Douglas E. Richards (2012)

Very good follow up to the first book. The author managed to create a story with believable and interesting twists once again. ( )
  Guide2 | Mar 24, 2013 |
YAWN! Can't believe I wasted more time by reading the sequel to WIRED! The all too saintly Kira saves the day again! WAY too much over-the-top nonesense which concludes in an all too obvious way. YUK! ( )
  creighley | Feb 3, 2013 |
What I have discovered reading a book series is that you can love the original and the sequel(s) can be disappointing or less exciting, or vice versa. Yes, I do prefer WIRED, the first book, but AMPED is not disappointing, in my opinion it's just not quite as good.
At first, I was feeling a little let down. There was more action going on at this stage in WIRED, however getting into the second half of the book, the action certainly hotted up. It's all very highbrow and scientific, but there is something scary in that it could become possible in the future. Maybe not quite on this scale but in some form or other. Mr Richards is a clever author, so he knows a thing or two about the world of science, you only have to look at his credentials. But to weave this knowledge into a complex, and I mean very complex tale with so much going on is quite a substantial task. It could have been overkill and ended with a mess that was just too much to comprehend but the intricate plot does work very well.

The core characters are Miller, Desh, Metzger, Griffin and Connelly who run Icarus. They have recruited various scientists and we meet a couple of these during the course of the story. Several opponents are introduced including Jake who runs the black ops team and those who employ him. We have already met the team of five in the first book and the rest are new characters but we learn who they are and why they are on the hunt to destroy Icarus and it's leader.
A great storyline with plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader interested and turning the pages. Strong characterisations, good descriptions and locational use. ( )
  booketta | Nov 26, 2012 |
Second book in the series, Amped continues the fast, well described and non-stop action of the first book Wired. This is a great sci-fi, military and mystery story which keeps your interest and never stops keeping you on your toes. If you like action packed stories like Bourne series, this book is at least as good, if not better. ( )
  roadway2000 | Aug 25, 2012 |
AMPED is the amazing sequel to Wired which was one of my favorite books of 2011. As soon as I learned that AMPED was out for purchase I immediately went online and bought it for my kindle. Suffice it to say AMPED is at the top of my list for 2012 and I have read some fantastic books this year. Like in Wired, the quality of the writing, the sophistication of the storyline and the depth of the characters in AMPED are second to none. Mr. Richards has earned a place among the masters!

In AMPED, Mr. Richards continues to create a genre of his own that combines mystery/thriller with cutting edge science and science fiction. It is an amazing thrill ride for the reader but it also makes the reader think about how far science can go before it becomes a detriment to society.

In AMPED, we are once again reunited with Kira, David and Matt as they create a network of scientists working to take their discovery to the next level. Yet someone seems to be a step ahead of them at every turn. Once again the reader must try to decipher who is telling the truth and who are the good and bad guys. Be sure you have time to read the whole book when you sit down because you will not be able to put it down (also remember to breathe).

The combination of amazing research, an amazing writing style, an impeccable sense of timing and one the most creative minds in the industry makes AMPED a book you must not miss. To create such an amazing book, Mr. Richards was surely WIRED and AMPED. ( )
  DBower | May 7, 2012 |

"Kira Miller is a brilliant scientist who discovers how to temporarily boost human IQ to dizzying levels. But this transcendent intelligence brings with it a ruthless megalomania. Determined to use her discovery to propel human civilization to a higher plane, despite this side effect, Kira and ex-special forces operative David Desh recruit a small group of accomplished scientists, all of whom are safely off the grid. Or so they think. Soon Kira and her team are fighting for their lives against unknown but powerful adversaries. Worse still, while on the run and being relentlessly attacked from all quarters, Kira comes across evidence of savage acts that the enhanced version of Desh kept hidden, even from himself. Now both she and Desh must question everything they think they know. Can they trust each other? Can they even trust themselves? And all the while, the greatest threat of all may be coming from an entirely unexpected direction. A threat that could lead to devastation on a global scale. And time is quickly running out"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Douglas E. Richards is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible