Dark Star by Bethany Frenette

Authors:Bethany Frenette
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Tags:YA, Superheroes, Demons, Mothers and Daughters, Fantasy, Minnesota, Teen

Dark Star by Bethany Frenette

I liked the story in Dark Star, but had some real problems with the way the first part of the book was written. The beginning of the book tells of Audrey Whitticomb, typical high school student except that she has a power called "The Knowing" where she is able to see the lives and events of other people that may not yet have happened. Her mother is the superhero known as "Morning Star," who spends her nights out on the streets trying to help people. We learn about all of Audrey's friends and how they are connected to her. Then, abruptly the story shifts and it is suddenly about demons and something called "The Beneath," which sounds a little like the underworld. Now Audrey's mother is a demon hunter at night and her "sidekick," Leon is a teleport. Audrey's friends, who in the beginning of the book, seemed like main characters are now relegated to supporting roles and are hardly mentioned until nearly the end of the book.
It just seemed as though the author started with one story in mind and then partway through the book decided to change it completely.
I did like both story lines, but the original story line never seemed to be completed. Even with these problems, overall a good read. Will a sequel be forthcoming?
  Mrslabraden | Jul 5, 2016 |
Rating: 4.5 stars

There are so many wonderful things about this book. The entire book is very easy to follow. Mystery is a huge aspect and it’s very well developed. The plot twists are unexpected and surprising, but they all made sense, which is essential in a good novel. The solutions to mysteries should be logical, no loopholes, and I think that Bethany Frenette did a great job at that. The characters are believable with their own unique personalities. Audrey, the main character, is stubborn, curious, smart, and also a bit stupid at times. The romance between Audrey and Leon is funny, adorable, and I love them together. But because it wasn't a super AMAZING book, I can only give this 4.5 stars.

More in depth review: http://lifeshiddengems.blogspot.com/2014/07/book-review-dark-star-by-bethany.htm...

My Goodreads: fantasticalcatherine ( )
  lifeshiddengems | Jul 14, 2014 |
Dark Star by Bethany Frenette is somewhere between a superhero and a demon-hunter book with a teenage protagonist whose mom is the one with the superpowers. For some reason I thought Dark Star was going to have aliens, I don’t know why, maybe the star part? Anyway, more demons than aliens, though it’s debatable. While I did read Dark Star in one day, I found myself pretty meh about it the whole time. Also that cover angers me.
Note: I borrowed Dark Star from my library of awesomeness.

Dark Star by Bethany Frenette (Dark Star #1)
Published by Disney Hyperion on Oct. 23rd, 2012
Genres: Urban Fantasy, YA
Length: 368 pages
How I got my copy: Borrowed
IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog
Audrey Whitticomb has nothing to fear. Her mother is the superhero Morning Star, the most deadly crime-fighter in the Twin Cities, so it's hard for Audrey not to feel safe. That is, until she's lured into the sweet night air by something human and not human--something with talons and teeth, and a wide, scarlet smile.

Now Audrey knows the truth: her mom doesn't fight crime at night. She fights Harrowers--livid, merciless beings who were trapped Beneath eons ago. Yet some have managed to escape. And they want Audrey dead, just because of who she is: one of the Kin.

To survive, Audrey will need to sharpen the powers she has always had. When she gets close to someone, dark corners of the person's memories become her own, and she sometimes even glimpses the future. If Audrey could only get close to Patrick Tigue, a powerful Harrower masquerading as human, she could use her Knowing to discover the Harrowers' next move. But Leon, her mother's bossy, infuriatingly attractive sidekick, has other ideas. Lately, he won't let Audrey out of his sight.

When an unthinkable betrayal puts Minneapolis in terrible danger, Audrey discovers a wild, untamed power within herself. It may be the key to saving her herself, her family, and her city. Or it may be the force that destroys everything--and everyone--she loves.

Strengths:
The aliens/demons thing is because the bad critters are a race from before the existence of the universe. Totally could have been aliens right?? Anyway, the origin story about the Harrowers and the super-powered Kin was fun to read :).
I was a fan of Audrey’s friends and I love it when secondary characters win my heart.
Audrey has psychic powers and I thought that they were done well. She has limits, she is still developing her ability to control and understand her power, and the way Knowings come to her worked well for me.
When a couple of the reveals happened, they made a lot of sense in retrospect. I wasn’t all OMG, but more along the lines of “Oooohhhh, yeah that makes sense” ;-).
Dark Star takes place in Minneapolis/The Twin Cities, a place where I lived for a while, and it’s fairly accurate! There is a quote about snow that amused me, hehe.
Weaknesses:
The cover makes no sense. Am I missing something?? The black sweat-shirt with the star is Audrey’s mother’s superhero outfit and she has blonde hair if I recall correctly. Audrey never wears her mom’s sweatshirt! This doesn’t make sense and I’ve spent way too many braincells trying to figure it out D:
I’m honestly getting sick of the demons thing. They are just such an easy villain you know, they are evil by default, we need to kill them by default. I would have liked if the Harrowers weren’t equated to demons and instead just stayed the Harrowers.
I was so hopeful that there wouldn’t be a romance. Then at the VERY end two people are suddenly in love with each other. Am I the only one who didn’t see that coming AT ALL??
I hate when characters, even teenagers, make stupid decisions like not calling 911 or their superhero mom and doing things on their own that are obviously not going to go well.
Audrey of course becomes special and important at the end and it felt quite forced to me. I was a fan of her just being the daughter and curious and wanting to help. Why did she need to suddenly be special??
Summary:
Dark Star is kind of your typical good vs. evil set in the modern day type of story. If you’re just really excited to read something straight forward of that variety, go for it, but it’s really nothing special. I’ll be reading the sequel Burn Bright because I already have a review copy, so we’ll see if things change!

3 Stars ( )
  anyaejo | Jan 7, 2014 |
More like 3 1/2. The writing was solid. The characterizations good. The world was the most interesting bit even if I wished it had stuck to a super hero plot. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
This was surprisingly good - not predictable, pretty funny. Solid characters, good plot line. Would have benefited from a bit more angst. Looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  Pretear | Sep 14, 2013 |

"Audrey, the sixteen-year-old daughter of a superhero, must access powers she never knew she had to defend Minneapolis from terrifying demons that have emerged from Beneath"--

21 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,223,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible