Dark Star by Bethany Frenette

Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Hardcover, 368 pages
Tags:YA, Superheroes, Demons, Mothers and Daughters, Fantasy, Minnesota, Teen

Dark Star by Bethany Frenette

Rating: 4.5 stars

There are so many wonderful things about this book. The entire book is very easy to follow. Mystery is a huge aspect and it’s very well developed. The plot twists are unexpected and surprising, but they all made sense, which is essential in a good novel. The solutions to mysteries should be logical, no loopholes, and I think that Bethany Frenette did a great job at that. The characters are believable with their own unique personalities. Audrey, the main character, is stubborn, curious, smart, and also a bit stupid at times. The romance between Audrey and Leon is funny, adorable, and I love them together. But because it wasn't a super AMAZING book, I can only give this 4.5 stars.

More in depth review: http://lifeshiddengems.blogspot.com/2014/07/book-review-dark-star-by-bethany.htm...

My Goodreads: fantasticalcatherine ( )
  lifeshiddengems | Jul 14, 2014 |
Dark Star by Bethany Frenette is somewhere between a superhero and a demon-hunter book with a teenage protagonist whose mom is the one with the superpowers. For some reason I thought Dark Star was going to have aliens, I don’t know why, maybe the star part? Anyway, more demons than aliens, though it’s debatable. While I did read Dark Star in one day, I found myself pretty meh about it the whole time. Also that cover angers me.
Note: I borrowed Dark Star from my library of awesomeness.

Dark Star by Bethany Frenette (Dark Star #1)
Published by Disney Hyperion on Oct. 23rd, 2012
Genres: Urban Fantasy, YA
Length: 368 pages
How I got my copy: Borrowed
IndieBound - Book Depository - Goodreads
Purchases made support this blog
Audrey Whitticomb has nothing to fear. Her mother is the superhero Morning Star, the most deadly crime-fighter in the Twin Cities, so it's hard for Audrey not to feel safe. That is, until she's lured into the sweet night air by something human and not human--something with talons and teeth, and a wide, scarlet smile.

Now Audrey knows the truth: her mom doesn't fight crime at night. She fights Harrowers--livid, merciless beings who were trapped Beneath eons ago. Yet some have managed to escape. And they want Audrey dead, just because of who she is: one of the Kin.

To survive, Audrey will need to sharpen the powers she has always had. When she gets close to someone, dark corners of the person's memories become her own, and she sometimes even glimpses the future. If Audrey could only get close to Patrick Tigue, a powerful Harrower masquerading as human, she could use her Knowing to discover the Harrowers' next move. But Leon, her mother's bossy, infuriatingly attractive sidekick, has other ideas. Lately, he won't let Audrey out of his sight.

When an unthinkable betrayal puts Minneapolis in terrible danger, Audrey discovers a wild, untamed power within herself. It may be the key to saving her herself, her family, and her city. Or it may be the force that destroys everything--and everyone--she loves.

Strengths:
The aliens/demons thing is because the bad critters are a race from before the existence of the universe. Totally could have been aliens right?? Anyway, the origin story about the Harrowers and the super-powered Kin was fun to read :).
I was a fan of Audrey’s friends and I love it when secondary characters win my heart.
Audrey has psychic powers and I thought that they were done well. She has limits, she is still developing her ability to control and understand her power, and the way Knowings come to her worked well for me.
When a couple of the reveals happened, they made a lot of sense in retrospect. I wasn’t all OMG, but more along the lines of “Oooohhhh, yeah that makes sense” ;-).
Dark Star takes place in Minneapolis/The Twin Cities, a place where I lived for a while, and it’s fairly accurate! There is a quote about snow that amused me, hehe.
Weaknesses:
The cover makes no sense. Am I missing something?? The black sweat-shirt with the star is Audrey’s mother’s superhero outfit and she has blonde hair if I recall correctly. Audrey never wears her mom’s sweatshirt! This doesn’t make sense and I’ve spent way too many braincells trying to figure it out D:
I’m honestly getting sick of the demons thing. They are just such an easy villain you know, they are evil by default, we need to kill them by default. I would have liked if the Harrowers weren’t equated to demons and instead just stayed the Harrowers.
I was so hopeful that there wouldn’t be a romance. Then at the VERY end two people are suddenly in love with each other. Am I the only one who didn’t see that coming AT ALL??
I hate when characters, even teenagers, make stupid decisions like not calling 911 or their superhero mom and doing things on their own that are obviously not going to go well.
Audrey of course becomes special and important at the end and it felt quite forced to me. I was a fan of her just being the daughter and curious and wanting to help. Why did she need to suddenly be special??
Summary:
Dark Star is kind of your typical good vs. evil set in the modern day type of story. If you’re just really excited to read something straight forward of that variety, go for it, but it’s really nothing special. I’ll be reading the sequel Burn Bright because I already have a review copy, so we’ll see if things change!

3 Stars ( )
  anyaejo | Jan 7, 2014 |
More like 3 1/2. The writing was solid. The characterizations good. The world was the most interesting bit even if I wished it had stuck to a super hero plot. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
This was surprisingly good - not predictable, pretty funny. Solid characters, good plot line. Would have benefited from a bit more angst. Looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  Pretear | Sep 14, 2013 |
Originally posted on A Reader of Fictions.

3.5 Stars

Even though I love this cover, my expectations going into this were pretty low. I haven't seen any reviews for it, but I've heard from people who read reviews that they've seen less than encouraging ones. As such, I adjusted my hopes down a bit and set off. Actually, I ended up really enjoying Dark Star. Is it perfect? No. Is it a fun? Heck yes!

The very best part of Dark Star is the characterization. Recently, though I've been on a really good reading streak, I feel like most of my star deductions have been for characters that didn't feel real to me or that I simply could not connect with, so I really needed this character-driven read. Audrey has a huge personality, funny and clever and a little bit rebellious. I loved her voice so much that the writing style, which leans a bit more to the choppy fragments style than I generally care for, didn't bother me much.

Not only is Audrey awesome, her friends are great too. She has two best friends, Gabriel and Tink. Gabriel is the only one who has been trusted with her mother's secret (that she's the superhero Morning Star, though she prefers to be called a Guardian, and fights bad guys with her younger partner Leon). Audrey trusts Gabriel implicitly, the only secrets she keeps from him being ones she's not allowed to tell. Tink, who I totally pictured as the character of the same name from The Guild, is outgoing and tiny and a little bit terrifying. They have a real bond and I love to see that in novels.

Perhaps even more rare, Audrey has a loving, protective, approachable, attentive mother. Can such a thing truly exist in YA? Apparently so! Audrey's mother, Lucy, does go out all night to fight crime, but she's in no way an absentee mom. She manages to spend a lot of time with her daughter. While definitely not an overprotective hardass, Lucy does keep informed of her daughter's whereabouts and try to keep Audrey safe, except for that one flashback where Lucy totally battles this demon preggers. Plus, they totally have the mother-daughter banter down. Of course, to fulfill the YA parental drama, her father's out of the picture, but I was still so glad to have a loving family dynamic in this book.

The romance, which does exist, satisfied, even if it was totally predictable. Of course, if a romance has to be predictable, I'm not going to complain too much when it's my favorite of the cliched romance patterns, which this happens to be. Also, the best part is that the romance totally isn't the focus. It's there and believable and has chemistry, but flirting is minimal and Audrey doesn't spend the whole book mooning over boys.

The first half of the book, had it continued in that vein, might even have gotten four stars from me for the sheer fun of it and the awesome characters. However, the book took a bit of a turn, and, though I didn't hate it, I would have preferred for the book not to have a paranormal twist. If you don't want to know what the twist is, skip to the last paragraph now.

In true YA fashion, it turns out that mom is not in fact a superhero; she fights demons. Basically, the book takes this whole twist to the paranormal when I really just wanted to read a fantasy novel where some people have a little bit of extra power for who cares why and do some vigilante justice, okay? Mom has super strength, Leon can teleport, and Audrey Knows things, or, in otherwords, is a little bit psychic. That was all awesome and I had accepted it and then it was all because of paranormal things, which wasn't bad, but I've had enough of that and was so excited for something a little different.

The bigger problem with the paranormal plotline was that it was weird and a little haphazard at the end. Like, the final confrontation was so abrupt. There's this small battle and it's dramatic, but then instead of the BIG crazy showdown, it just sort of ends. I want my epic battle of powers and superheroes, dang it! Also, the book didn't really feel wrapped up plot-wise at the end. I haven't heard rumors of a sequel, so, if this it, poorly done on that.

But, you know what? I still had so much fun reading this that I'm giving it a bonus .5 for keeping me engaged in the story. Of course, now I really want to reread After the Golden Age, which is about a woman who's the daughter of superheroes that are actually just superheroes and so, so good. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |

"Audrey, the sixteen-year-old daughter of a superhero, must access powers she never knew she had to defend Minneapolis from terrifying demons that have emerged from Beneath"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,321,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible