1.4 by Mike A. Lancaster

NOTE: This is a book I requested from Netgalley.

Well, this book was definitely different from the ones I usually read. It had a LOT of sci-fi elements in it, along with dystopia. I hadn't read the prequel, but it didn't really matter. I breezed through it, because it was really good. But, I was kind of confused of the ending - it raised more questions than it answered, which sometimes is annoying. Like in this case. I'd definitely be on the lookout for the next installment though.

So, here we have a story about a different - should I say generation - of humans. Ones that have actual software operating system. Yeah, it's weird I know. What's more weird though is that that operating system gets upgrades. And some people seem to be immune to those upgrades so they are left behind. Thus the title.

The story is pretty simple, but it's quite intriguing. I found myself turning the pages pretty quickly, being hungry for more. And I loved how the main character, Peter Vincent, got the courage to break from the norm he had been expected to follow, and just do what he believed was right. He threw away the bright "future" that he was supposed to experience, and turned back to look at the past. Because there was a lot to learn from the past.

I think The Future We Left Behind is a nice relaxing read. If you're into sci-fi dystopia stories, you should definitely check it out.

VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
1000 years after the events of Kyle Straker (in [b:0.4|9575046|0.4 (Point 4, #1)|Mike A. Lancaster|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327879062s/9575046.jpg|13380643]) we find Peter Vincent - another teenage boy living a normal life - who realizes that all may not be as it seems. Overall this is a fun read and is entertaining. The plot moves quickly and, despite its almost 400 pages, this was a quick read for me. Fans of "light" sci-fi and male protagonists should enjoy this. I had high expectations after reading 0.4 and, while I enjoyed this one, it did not completely live up to those expectations.

First, the plot and characters are really a re-hashing of the first book. This is even acknowledged in the book - the characters are referred to as paradigms of the original characters from 0.4. While I see that there is continuity and a reference to computer programming there, I was disappointed that there wasn't more originality in terms of character and plot.

Speaking of characters, I didn't feel that there was enough character development here. The book isn't really about the characters, so I was able to overlook that and still enjoy the book, but I would have felt more invested in the story if I had more of a connection to the characters.

Lastly, I was disappointed in the technological advancement of the society. Sure, there were some cool and advanced things. I loved the way they choose their clothes, I can see how the link would be the way everyone lives in the future, the extinction and replacement of bees is a true-to-life touch. But, c'mon! 1000 years have passed! That's a heck of a long time! Think of all the changes in our current world compared to the year 1012. The world described here does not really seem that different from our own - in language, dress, customs, schooling, culture, etc. 1000 years from now I don't think I would even recognize the world. And, maybe that's exactly why the author wrote the future the way he did. Maybe he didn't want to make it seem inaccessible to his teen audience. I think it was a missed opportunity.

Despite these failings, this was a fast-paced, exciting and fun read. I enjoyed it and would recommend checking it out. ( )
  CherieReads | Sep 23, 2013 |
This novel is the sequel to Human.4 aka 0.4.

In a distant future, humanity is different from how we know it. Humans are constantly connected to the Link getting all of their information through it,storing all of their memories on it, and interacting with each other through it. Peter Vincent is perfectly content with this world until he meets Alpha. Then he discovers that his world may be more than it seems and that the Kyle Straker tapes may not be fiction after all.

This sequel is perfectly enjoyable as a science fiction novel and it gives the reader to truly explore the future of humanity hinted at in the footnotes of Human.4. However, at the same time, it misses the truly mind-bending twist that the first novel had making this sequel just slightly inferior. Despite falling short of the splendour of its predecessor, the book is still a ripping good read as we follow Peter as he attempts to unravel the mystery that entirely shatters how he perceives his life. ( )
  MickyFine | Jun 15, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Lancaster shows us that technology isn’t all that its cracked up to be.

Opening Sentence: The story of Peter Vincent might easily have never been heard.

Review:

Technology plays an integral part of our lives. In The Future We Left Behind, the follow up book to Mike A. Lancaster’s Human.4, Lancaster takes us on a futuristic look at the differences between humanity and technology. I was really excited when I received this book. I love it when the topic brings a certain perspective into play. It was fascinating to see Human.4’s story unfold, and I couldn’t wait to dive into The Future We Left Behind.

The Future We Left Behind takes place thousands of years after the events of Human.4. According to the Straker Tapes, humans have been upgraded many times. From 0.4 to 1.0, humans are different, but only a select few still believe that 0.4 actually happened and not in fact a work of fiction. Young Peter Vincent quickly realizes that life doesn’t reveal everything as it should. From living a mundane life, Peter yearns for something more, something beyond all of the science.

A group of believers, who have dubbed themselves the Strakerites, are the only ones who believe the Straker Tapes happened. Lancaster introduces us to new characters, who each bring a different level of fiction to the story. Uncovering truths, especially the mysteries of human upgrades, and revealing who is and isn’t involved brings a strong message throughout the book.

Peter lived a normal life, according to the standards set in his era. His father taught him a lot, school taught him about the importance of science, but deep down Peter believes there is something more. After the Strakerites contact Peter, he developed a new way of thinking. He becomes a different person analyzing what the world has deemed important and question what should really be important. Peter is a good protagonist, level headed and open-minded. He was someone that I instantly connected with, and his need for information and knowledge was an added bonus. Lancaster wrote him well, giving him different layers, each one for a different kind of reader.

Lancaster’s world has evolved, but there is still familiar pieces that act as the skeleton of this new futuristic world. Everything revolves around the tapes and the upgrades, but there’s something about the world that stands out. It’s intriguing in a dystopian way, having this “one-mind” mentality, taking in information without questioning it. In our day and age, Lancaster makes The Future We Left Behind very relevant, showcasing the flaws of technology as well as the imperfections.

Upgrades and those who do not upgrade would be another element of the world. Those who exist and those who choose not to, all coexisting in Lancaster’s story. The Future We Left Behind has a different tone throughout the book. Where Human.4 set the pacing, The Future We Left Behind completely surpassed it. It can act like a separate book altogether, having it’s own identity, but I’m glad it was a follow-up.

I enjoyed this, much more than I expected to. There are compelling issues that Lancaster forces a reader to think about, and there are points of view that a reader is simply surprised to see. It is a fantastic read, and I highly urge you to read this soon.

Notable Scene:

The problem is we shouldn’t have trusted the Link to remember things the way they happened. Details can be changed, and memories edited.

History itself can be rewritten. You only need to change a word here, and event there. Even things like emphasis and importance can be up- or down-graded to make history say what they want it to say. To make it read how they want it to read.

My memories are no different. I remember things because I put them on the LInk. That’s what we all do.

But I can no longer be sure that what’s stored there is the truth.

FTC Advisory: EgmontUSA provided me with a copy of The Future We Left Behind. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jan 5, 2013 |
Like 0.4 Mike Lancaster opens a collection of files created by Peter Vincent. Peter lives in a world of luxury. Like his father, he is extraordinarily intelligent, but his father doesn't have much time for Peter. His Mum has apparently dissapeared. Peter falls for a girl called Alpha and she begins to introduce him to the Straker files; files from a source that is dismissed by many as fantasy, but opens up a world he had never considered existed. But, will it lead him to a dangerous situation and what will he be able to do when his whole world is threatened. This book follows on from Lancasters earlier novel, '0.4', when suddenly the world changed and people suddenly couldn't see those around them. Great for those in their teens who love science fiction or computer novels ( )
  Leov | Aug 21, 2012 |

A thousand years after the release of the Straker Tapes, when Peter and Alpha discover that stories of human upgrades are true, they strive to stop a group of scientists from making a decision that could destroy humanity.

Mike Lancaster is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,480,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible