1.4 by Mike A. Lancaster

Published in the United States as The Future We Left Behind, 1.4 by Mike A. Lancaster is the sequel to 0.4. The events of the original human upgrade described by Kyle Straker on his cassette tapes are years in the past.

Peter Vincent, the son of a man who designed a robotic bee after the original bees died. He lives in a world where everything can be personalized through the threads living inside everyone. People can record and live blog with just a thought. They can change how the world looks to them.

At the fringe of all of this are the Strakerites, the ones who don't or can't embrace the technology. Through a high school friendship, Peter has his eyes opened to their way of life, and possibly a more sinister truth, both past and future.

Normally I shy away from sequels that essentially revisit the same story. But Peter Vincent's voice is so different from Kyle's that it was fascinating to get inside the mind of someone who is a Human.4, and the son of someone famous, thus giving him privilege and access to things that Kyle didn't.

Lancaster's next book .wav looks at mind control through subliminal messages in music. Sounds like fun. It's being released in 2015. ( )
  pussreboots | Nov 23, 2014 |
After reading 0.4, which I enjoyed with it's different writing style, I decided to take a leap into the world of 1.4.

I delightfully found this book just as entertaining as the first and read to whole thing from back to front in a short amount of time. I found the lists and notes a fruitful addition to the diary entries of the main character.

I was however confused a little by the ending as it left everything open in my opinion. That may have been the authors intention. Needless to say, if a follow-on to this was published I would indeed to reading it. ( )
  Pinniped23 | Sep 19, 2014 |
NOTE: This is a book I requested from Netgalley.

Well, this book was definitely different from the ones I usually read. It had a LOT of sci-fi elements in it, along with dystopia. I hadn't read the prequel, but it didn't really matter. I breezed through it, because it was really good. But, I was kind of confused of the ending - it raised more questions than it answered, which sometimes is annoying. Like in this case. I'd definitely be on the lookout for the next installment though.

So, here we have a story about a different - should I say generation - of humans. Ones that have actual software operating system. Yeah, it's weird I know. What's more weird though is that that operating system gets upgrades. And some people seem to be immune to those upgrades so they are left behind. Thus the title.

The story is pretty simple, but it's quite intriguing. I found myself turning the pages pretty quickly, being hungry for more. And I loved how the main character, Peter Vincent, got the courage to break from the norm he had been expected to follow, and just do what he believed was right. He threw away the bright "future" that he was supposed to experience, and turned back to look at the past. Because there was a lot to learn from the past.

I think The Future We Left Behind is a nice relaxing read. If you're into sci-fi dystopia stories, you should definitely check it out.

VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
1000 years after the events of Kyle Straker (in [b:0.4|9575046|0.4 (Point 4, #1)|Mike A. Lancaster|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327879062s/9575046.jpg|13380643]) we find Peter Vincent - another teenage boy living a normal life - who realizes that all may not be as it seems. Overall this is a fun read and is entertaining. The plot moves quickly and, despite its almost 400 pages, this was a quick read for me. Fans of "light" sci-fi and male protagonists should enjoy this. I had high expectations after reading 0.4 and, while I enjoyed this one, it did not completely live up to those expectations.

First, the plot and characters are really a re-hashing of the first book. This is even acknowledged in the book - the characters are referred to as paradigms of the original characters from 0.4. While I see that there is continuity and a reference to computer programming there, I was disappointed that there wasn't more originality in terms of character and plot.

Speaking of characters, I didn't feel that there was enough character development here. The book isn't really about the characters, so I was able to overlook that and still enjoy the book, but I would have felt more invested in the story if I had more of a connection to the characters.

Lastly, I was disappointed in the technological advancement of the society. Sure, there were some cool and advanced things. I loved the way they choose their clothes, I can see how the link would be the way everyone lives in the future, the extinction and replacement of bees is a true-to-life touch. But, c'mon! 1000 years have passed! That's a heck of a long time! Think of all the changes in our current world compared to the year 1012. The world described here does not really seem that different from our own - in language, dress, customs, schooling, culture, etc. 1000 years from now I don't think I would even recognize the world. And, maybe that's exactly why the author wrote the future the way he did. Maybe he didn't want to make it seem inaccessible to his teen audience. I think it was a missed opportunity.

Despite these failings, this was a fast-paced, exciting and fun read. I enjoyed it and would recommend checking it out. ( )
  CherieReads | Sep 23, 2013 |
This novel is the sequel to Human.4 aka 0.4.

In a distant future, humanity is different from how we know it. Humans are constantly connected to the Link getting all of their information through it,storing all of their memories on it, and interacting with each other through it. Peter Vincent is perfectly content with this world until he meets Alpha. Then he discovers that his world may be more than it seems and that the Kyle Straker tapes may not be fiction after all.

This sequel is perfectly enjoyable as a science fiction novel and it gives the reader to truly explore the future of humanity hinted at in the footnotes of Human.4. However, at the same time, it misses the truly mind-bending twist that the first novel had making this sequel just slightly inferior. Despite falling short of the splendour of its predecessor, the book is still a ripping good read as we follow Peter as he attempts to unravel the mystery that entirely shatters how he perceives his life. ( )
  MickyFine | Jun 15, 2013 |

A thousand years after the release of the Straker Tapes, when Peter and Alpha discover that stories of human upgrades are true, they strive to stop a group of scientists from making a decision that could destroy humanity.

Mike Lancaster is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible