Ever After by Kim Harrison

Ever After (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Kim Harrison

Member:myurbanfantasies
Title:Ever After
Authors:Kim Harrison
Info:Harper Voyager (2013), Hardcover, 448 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:The Hollows

Ever After by Kim Harrison (2013)

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A deeply emotional and action packed book that once again finds Rachel fighting for her life.

Opening Sentence: “This is close enough.”

The Review:

I want to start this review by saying that I am a huge fan of this series and I am seriously disappointed that it took me this long to read Ever After. Although I will say this novel didn’t speak to me like some of the past Hollows books did in the past but I still thoroughly enjoyed Ever After. I especially enjoyed the new dynamics of Rachel and Trent’s relationship.

Ever After continues Rachel’s struggles with the terrible demon Ku’Sox. He sabotages a ley line which in effect becomes like a black hole. The line is slowly shrinking the Ever After with the ultimate goal of destroying the Ever After and the demons with it. For the demons the only way to stop their ultimate destruction is by killing Rachel or so they believe. Since demon politics is so weird, Rachel cannot blame Ku’Sox without proof and even that proof would make it look like she was working with Ku’Sox. There are some really powerful demons that believe Rachel but they won’t take her side because Ku’Sox is even more powerful than they are. They won’t risk their lives in case Rachel can’t fix the line.

Meanwhile, Quen wants Rachel to take over is place and become Trent’s protector but Rachel’s conflicting feelings have her turning down the job. She doesn’t believe she can protect like he needs plus she really enjoys being her own boss.

As one of the last remaining elves, Trent is trying to ensure the continued survival of his species. The elves and demons have a nasty shared history and much of that is revealed in Ever After. Rachel has to team up with Trent in order for her to have any kind of hope of saving the Ever After and ultimately her life.

I love Rachel. She cares so much for other people often to the detriment of her life. She does whatever she can to help others. Ultimately it is her life above all others because she does whatever it takes to ensure her survival even if the outcome for someone else is detrimental. Although, I’m not sure that is entirely a bad trait. She is brash but she doesn’t answer to anybody and I enjoy so much how she is strong yet very much vulnerable.

I really found myself anticipating the parts of the book with Trent and Rachel. Rachel has so many doubts and frustrations, some of which are understandable but it does help amp up the sexual tension. I still have my doubts about Trent’s loyalties but I secretly hope they get together in the end. **As of right now, I have avoided any spoilers to the last book.**

Several years have passed since I read A Perfect Blood so I did have some confusion to events and characters for the beginning of the novel. I definitely wouldn’t recommend this as a standalone or a starting point to a series that is ending in two more books. Too much has gone on in this series.

There was only one thing I really didn’t like about Ever After. There was some tragedy off the “page”. It didn’t really need to be showcased but I had a hard time believing it was true. I was expecting said person to come back at any time, however, a certain characters reaction to the tragedy made me believe that it had to be true.

Overall, I really loved this book! I went through so many emotions. I love the dark atmosphere and setting. I can just feel myself sinking into this world. I can’t wait to finish this series.

Notable Scene:

“Nicely done, Rachel.” Smiling up at Trent, I accepted his hand and stood. Our pinkie rings glinted together in the light, and I didn’t know how to feel about it. My hands were shaking, but I was ready to put another imbalance back if Bis was.

Pulling my hand from Trent’s, I looked for Bis. “Another one?” I asked, my intentions obvious, and he nodded from the retaining wall, his red eyes glowing in the lamplight.

Jenk’s wings clattered as he dropped down, shrilling something so fast I couldn’t understand him.

“You surprise me, Rachel,” came an oily voice from the dark, and I spun, heart pounding as I turned to the river. Ku’Sox? Crap on toast!

“It’s Ku’Sox!” Jenks shouted, dripping an angry, frightened red dust. His sword was out, and his wings by my ear, harsh.

“Not in that you figured it out,” Ku’Sox said, a small sphere of light blossoming in his hand to show his presence beside my screaming, damaged line, “but that you’re stupid enough to be out here alone.”

Bis landed on my other side, puffing up as much he could by sucking in the moisture from the air. The size of a large dog, he crouched beside me with his tail thrashing.

“She’s not alone,” Jenks spat, hovering at head height and brandishing his sword. “Back off, Cute Socks. I cut your nose off before, I’ll do it again.”

FTC Advisory: Harper Voyager / Harper Collins provided me with a copy of Ever After. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Dec 22, 2014 |
Rachel is once again the only one that can mostly save the day in this book. Ivy is off screen for the most part of the story. You do get a reminder that Rachel and Ivy on on a deadline with the vampires about actions from the previous books. Rachel and Trent are trying get the babies back that the demons have kidnapped in order to produce more demons since they suffer from the same illness that Trent's father cured Rachel of and made her in a daylight demon. The story once again pulls no punches and in a way I'll be sad that the series is wrapping up but I think it will be good instead of dragging it all out. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Nice addition to the series but nothing shocking :) ( )
  Lorune | Jul 6, 2014 |
Eleven books later, I am still completely addicted to this world and these characters. I zipped through this book too quickly and now must wait again for book 12. Sigh. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
Wow! I thought Pale Demon and Perfect Blood were the culmination of what a best selling series should be. I must now revise that to include Ever After. This book will pull at your heartstrings, make you cheer in delight and have you sobbing in tears. Ms. Harrison does not disappoint!

More to come.... ( )
  TheiBookEmporium | May 21, 2014 |
To the only man I'd make
butterscotch pudding for
I'd like to thank my editor,
Diane Gill
and my agent
Richard Curtis
, who have each helped shape the Hollows in uncountable ways.
This is close enough.

The ever-after, the demonic realm that parallels our own, is shrinking, and if it disappears, so does all magic. It's up to witch-turned-daywalking-demon Rachel Morgan to fix the ever-after before the fragile balance between magic users and humans falls apart.

Of course, there's also the small fact that Rachel is the one who caused the ley line to rip in the first place, and her life is forfeit unless she can fix it. Not to mention the most powerful demon in the ever-after—the soul-eater Ku'Sox Sha-Ku'ru—has vowed to destroy her, and has kidnapped her friend and her goddaughter as leverage. If Rachel doesn't give herself up, they will die.

Forced by circumstance, Rachel teams up with elven tycoon Trent Kalamack—a partnership fraught with dangers of the heart as well as betrayal of the soul—to return to the ever-after and rescue those she loves. One world teeters on the brink of interspecies war, the other on the brink of its very demise—and it's up to Rachel to keep them both from being destroyed.

When Rachel sets off a chain of events that could lead to the end of the world - demonic and human--she must use her gifts to save those closest to her while preventing an apocalypse.

218 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,438,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible