The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the…

by Olivia Fox Cabane

Title:The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
Authors:Olivia Fox Cabane
Info:Portfolio Hardcover (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:Self-Help, psychology, ebook

The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism by Olivia Fox Cabane

Good information. Author breaks charisma down into a few areas:
Presence (being present in the moment, focusing on the other person)
Warmth (goodwill, empathy, compassion)
Power (confidence)

The author suggests finding an "area of specialty" for your charisma:
Focus (presence)
Visionary (inspirational)
Kindness (warmth and confidence)
Authority (status and confidence)

She also talks about self-compassion, which is an important step in developing warmth and confidence.

The book is an easy read, with key points listed at the end of each chapter. There are also exercises to help you work on a specific area. You can skim through it and get the main points in a couple hours, or read more carefully and try each exercise for a more thorough experience.

A solid book on the topic. I would have preferred something a little more dense, with various theories and research to support/refute them. This is more of a quick "how-to" book. That's probably what most people need.

It's a little light for my personal taste. I feel like the same information could have been conveyed in a magazine article, and it's frustrating to scan through pages looking for important information. But a book earns more profits, I'm sure. It's capitalist inefficiency - the most useful, streamlined version of a product won't make as much money, so consumers get the bloated, lumbering one. It's true of a lot of self-help books.

There's also a rather weak work-around for atheists in some exercises ("If you don't believe in God, imagine the universe as a benevolent being, and ask it for help...") It took many years of hard work to rid myself of toxic religious beliefs. Imagining a "benevolent being" is likely to drag me back into a mental state I don't want to be in. I wish authors with a belief in God would have more respect for those of us who don't want to follow the path of faith--or some generic, watered-down version of faith.

But overall, a useful book for those of us that don't naturally have charisma. Not much new material for people who read sites like Lifehacker, but it created connections between concepts that I hadn't thought of before. ( )
  Malora | Jan 31, 2016 |
ten little cheerleaders yelling "presence! power! warmth!" but alternately gushing about the importance of breathing and mindfulness. ( )
  weeta | Jul 5, 2015 |
This was life-changing to me. I've never read a book like it and didn't realize this was something that could be learned. You know, they should really teach social skills in school, as important as it is to jobs and life. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Can charisma be learned?

It can. Or, at least, that's the promise of this book.

I'm not completely convinced that "Anyone" can master the "Art and Science of Personal Magnetism". The author, while seemingly well credentialed and very experienced, uses her clients as examples and case studies. The problem with this, is that most of the clients she serves are already in positions of power, for the most part, and it's too easy to assume that those in power already posses a good amount of charisma to begin with.

If you already know you posses some charisma then this book is probably good in helping you identify what kinds of charisma you posses . Then you can work on improving those with a focus. ( )
  damienfranco | Aug 22, 2013 |
“To know others is knowledge; to know oneself is wisdom.” ~Lao Tsu

Steve Jobs, Bill Clinton, Barrack Obama, Whoopi Goldberg, Oprah Winfrey….What do these people have that you and I don’t? Charisma. They seem to have some special power or personality traits that attract people to them effortlessly. They attract all the attentions when they walk into a room, even without speaking. Somehow, we were taught that either we have this trait, or we don’t; so I was immediately drawn to this title once I spot it in a bookstore, and…

Yes, charisma can be learned.

Presence, warmth and power.

According to this wonderful book written by Olivia Cabane, charisma is a matter of presence, warmth and power. Presence is constantly paying attention to what’s going on when you’re interacting with people. If you are 100% involved, they feel valued and respected. One of these important skills is listening skill.

Warmth is expressed through kindness, actions and even body language. Do you think your body language has more power over the words you speak, or vice versa? You’re extremely wrong if you say “words.” Your physical comfort and mental state affect your words and body language, and people pick up messages from our body language and words that you don’t even realize yourself. Through out the author described multiple ways and exercises to get over or control your mental and physical discomfort, which will help increase personal charisma, the image that your body language and words projected.

Power is the most important and influential charisma. You do not have be an actual world leader like Colin Powell to impress people with your authority. The way you carry yourself, your body language and the way you dress and act can increase your impression and influence in others.

Not all charismatic people attract people the same way. There are all different kinds of charisma like the different kinds of personality. They can be achieved with different exercised and mind tricks and can be used on different situations. There's only one "first impression" in each event, and it's important to make it count. There are lots of exercises through out the book to help you learn the skills. Although I think they are a bit time consuming, they are actually useful.

Get the book. The wait is over. It's your turn to shine. .

lovestampmom | Aug 8, 2013 |

Cabane breaks charisma down into its fundamental components, revealing the secrets to what charisma really is and how it works.

128 wanted2 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,696,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible