119820,536 (3.9)2

I really enjoyed this book. Once started, it was hard to put down. It talks about the problems associated with running a ranch in Texas. It has quite a bit of romance. It is a good all around book and I am looking forward to the next book from this author. ( )
  roadway2000 | Aug 1, 2012 |
This book was not at all what I expected. There was a lot I found annoying with the book. The heroine is a 24 year woman in 2012 yet a lot of the descriptions, from the clothing (OK I got it- the author likes kelly green 'slacks' and other items in this color!), hair styles, the way things were described (not to mention the amount of typos) and her character description, were very basically written and descriptively very old fashioned. As I was reading this I kept thinking did this author write this book 20 years ago? Nope, the dates are 2011-2012. Not at all a description of a modern day 24 year old. Also I just didn't see the attraction either of them had between each other, even as the story continued. He rapes her yet she stays? She deals with lots of anxiety and takes tons of pills. Not really a person I'd like to read about. She seems rather weak to me. I think if the story stopped 1/2 way through it would have been a better story. I will give the author credit for making this a very fast read however I would definitely not recommend. ( )
  llyramoon | Jul 8, 2012 |

By J.M. Anton

5 Star Logo

Reviewed by Brenda C. for Readers Favorite

Melinda Potter and Alexandra Parker have been friends for the last five years, ever since they met and shared a room at Ohio State College. So, when Mel meets a man online who lives in Texas she decides to take a trip after graduation to meet him. When her affluent parents ask Lexie to go along to watch out for her she agrees. Once they arrive in Texas it is soon obvious that Mel’s boyfriend is up to no good, and only wants Mel’s money, but Mel doesn’t see it. Lexie finds herself with her own set of problems when she winds up getting lost, stuck in the mud and then rescued by a handsome rancher named Cutter, only to wind up in the hospital with everyone calling her Mrs. Ross she wonders what the heck is going on. Will Mel be able to escape the clutches of her boyfriend, and what about Lexie? Will she stay in Texas or high tail it back home to Ohio?

The synopsis takes place within the first pages of the story, so suffice it to say the plot of this story moves along at a fantastic pace. The author provides great detail in the story allowing not only the characters but the setting to come to life making me feel as if I was transported to Texas in a drought. I could easily visualize Lexie’s character wallowing in the mud! I really enjoyed the way Lexie’s character was portrayed, as a tough no nonsense woman, with a spitfire attitude. The author had me waffling as to whether I liked Cutter or not. One minute I did, but then the author would throw in a twist and have me rethinking what I actually thought about him. There were several secondary characters that kept the story moving along. The inclusion of Lexie’s German Shepherd Skip, and the role he played, added another layer to the story for me. My only complaint with this story is I thought there were a few dangling ends left, but perhaps the author intends to turn this book into a series. Romance, humor, a bit of suspense along with a twisting plot make this story a good afternoon read. ( )
Review by: Reynold Bowen on May 04, 2012
Review of J. M. Anton’s book.
Title: Fateful Waters
Author: J.M. Anton
ISBN: E-book: 978 -1-4762-1077-3

General Subject matter: A romantic story about a young woman who, after graduating from an eastern American university, becomes involved in new relationships in a world outside of the university portals. Alexandra Parker, better known as Lexie, will have to learn how to deal with new people. They will have both good and bad intentions.
Theme: The effects of being roughly injected into a new culture.
Thesis: The effects of physically pushing two cultures together, and letting everyone try to work out the problems that most certainly arise.

The author presents Lexie, the heroine, with the problems of interrelationships between massively different cultures. Lexie knows about farm animals, and their needs, but she knows little or nothing about the Texas panhandle, and is nearly killed in a flash flood, something almost unheard of in the farming area of Ohio. Her friend Melanie Potter will quickly become the prey in a quest by a fortune hunter named David Decker, because her family is wealthy, and his only desire is money. Lexie will also become involved in the everyday life on a modern day ranch, the Rocking R owned by Cutter Ross. The problems surrounding her friend Mel, and her own difficulties finding her way in this new world will follow her throughout the story, and she will have to work them out whenever she can while becoming a sexually complete woman at 24. The characters are all developed in an interesting manner, and all are perfectly real to the reader. They easily show the difference between Americans from the east of the country, and those from the western portion.
The story contains a series of incidents, and adventures which will draw Lexie into her new life, while pushing her away at the same time.
The Author follows Lexie and her thoughts as much as possible to give the story a chronological order, but will move to other characters, for example Cutter Reed, when Lexie is unconscious, and recovering in the hospital after her introduction to a Texas flash flood. The author will also shift to David Decker in order to give the reader a better understanding of his deceitful manners. In every description the author gives the reader details about the characters in the story, and the setting, so that the reader will have a very good picture of the weather conditions of Texas, and how they differ so greatly with those of the eastern states. The descriptive portions of the story are short, and to the point, so that the reader feels that he, or she is being given just enough help to understand the story, while the author constantly gives small clues to support the problems she gives Lexie. Ms. Anton has a good knowledge of horses, and livestock, so her descriptions are very realistic, and re-enforce any incidents, or problems that she presents to her characters on this ranch. Ms. Anton lives in Ohio, so it is easy to see why her description of the events that happen there, are also very accurate, and believable. The author’s knowledge also includes domestic animals, and her description of the part played by Lexie’s dog is accurate, and well written.
Just as the reader thinks that the story may be nearing its conclusion, Ms. Anton brings back earlier problems, and presents the heroine with new possibilities to resolve them. This keeps the reader’s curiosity peeked until the end of the book.

Mr. Bowen's full review is posted on Smashwords.com and Amazon Kindle ( )
  BackyardHorse | Jul 5, 2012 |
“This book surprised me, and I couldn’t put it down!
I really do love the character of Lexie! Especially when she doesn’t take any guff from any one. Her fierce independence frustrates Cutter who is used to having his orders complied with. I also like that Lexie swears; I find that so many female protagonists are so wussy, and that so many authors pretend that people are all nicey-nice, when in real life they are not!
I laughed out loud again at some of the humor. I am looking forward to the print release.” — M.L. Lazor

Review from Smashwords.com ( )
  BackyardHorse | Jul 5, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible