Feedback (Variant) by Robison Wells

Feedback (Variant) (edition 2012)

by Robison Wells

Authors:Robison Wells
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Feedback (Variant) by Robison Wells

I'm soooo disappointed in this book. How did it go from exciting to really annoying? Oh, I know...BENSON.

This book picks up right after Benson finds the real human Jane in the barn looking for a way to help Becky who's got a near mangled bicep. Once Jane convinces him that she's human and that everyone there is also human (use your imagination on the how), he goes back for Becky and carries her back to the little town that they have stumbled upon on their escape from Maxfield. Now that he knows there are still some students that could help his escape Benson has a choice to make: look out for himself and Becky or help out these kids achieve the freedom that he so desperately wants.

I don't know, I just didn't find Benson all that grand this time around. It was really annoying how he just knew things because of movies or TV shows. But it wasn't just random little things but convenient information pertinent to his escape. Also once he discovered his feelings for Becky it was all BEcky beCkY BECKY. I was very disappointed he didn't try to renew his friendships with the students that he had befriended back at the school. All he literally wanted to do was take care of Becky and run away with her.

However, Becky was awesome. She called Benson out on his BS, stood up for herself, tried so hard to do things on her own but sadly in her weakened state she was relegated to damsel in distress for Benson to coddle. But besides Becky and Lily I didn't care for any character that ended up surviving.

Sadly many of my questions were not answered, like where the tech for the androids came from? I feel like I missed something because all of a sudden They were close to taking down Maxfield and then they were being bribed with a means to a limited type of freedom then WHAM the book was done. I don't even feel satisfied with the explanation given for the school's practices. The worst part was definitely the very last thing that happened. I was so mad. And with that, I end this review because I don't even know what that ending was. ( )
  Jessika.C | Jan 5, 2018 |
This review will be short and sweet. If I say too much there’s a possibility there could be spoilers.
Character-wise, Benson annoyed the hell out of me. He makes decisions based on emotion rather than being smart about things. I also respect Becky a lot more in this sequel. I wasn’t a big fan of hers in Variant.
There is a lot of WTFery that ensues. You think things are going one direction, and they aren’t. There isn’t a ton of action, but you slowly start piecing things together. The people in the camp help fill in some holes.
The ending completely took me by surprise. Seriously, way out of left field for me. But that’s not bad, it made the story line way more interesting. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Okay, so I LOVED Variant (the first book). And I fully expected to love the sequel. In fact, when I finished Variant, I couldn't wait to see what happened next. So much that I immediately bought Feedback on my kindle and read the first two chapters. It didn't give me all the answers, but it did satisfy my immediate curiosity and peak my interest. However, I read Variant with my son and he wasn't quite ready to read the sequel yet. He had his eyes on a humor-centered book in a series he loves (Wimpy Kid). So, I told him I would wait for him and we could read Feedback together.

Flash forward a month... we have since read the new Wimpy Kid book and the new Origami Yoda book. Both of which he loved and I enjoyed too. And I have read several books myself. I was looking at the books on my kindle and trying to decide what to read next when I saw Feedback. Well, I just couldn't wait any longer. So I went ahead and read without my son. (Oh and when he found out, he didn't even mind. He just asked me what happened. I really don't get that; I had to read it and find out for myself. I wouldn't just want someone to tell me.)

The book was good, but not as surprising or suspenseful as Variant. I had an inkling about who might be in charge of the school and the town. As the story progressed, I was more sure. So when the truth was revealed, I wasn't especially surprised. Not like with Variant, where the twist practically knocked me off my feet.

Besides that part, the story itself was enjoyable. The interactions between the characters and Benson & Becky's relationship were interesting. I was more interested in seeing Benson find his way and figure out how to help the kids in the town, then finding out who the ultimate bad guys were.

Recommended to:
Anyone who liked Variant and wants to find out what is next for Benson & Becky. Also, for kids in 5th thru 8th grade. There is one 5th grade girl in my school who absolutely loved these two books. She has been asking me at least once or twice a week if I finished Feedback yet. I am happy that this week I will finally be able to tell her yes. :) ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
While it was nice to see more of the characters and story-line after the shocker ending in book number oner, it just didn't have the same appeal. There was some repetitiveness and I kept finding myself waiting for a big wow moment. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
What a strange ending. Very abrupt, didn't really explain things very clearly. A disappointing end to a otherwise good story. ( )
  PrescottKris | Jan 26, 2015 |
Jane stared back at me, motionless.

"After escaping the walls of Maxfield Academy, Benson Fisher finds himself trapped in a town that is also under the school's control--where he discovers that Maxfield's plans are deadlier than anything he imagined"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,512,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible