The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver

The Spindlers (edition 2012)

by Lauren Oliver, Iacopo Bruno (Illustrator)

1923261,769 (3.53)5
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (RachelMck)
    The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald (Inky_Fingers)
    Inky_Fingers: There might be more than a hundred years separating these two books, but I kept thinking of The Princess and the Goblin as I was reading The Spindlers. There is a bit of plot similarity with both girls lost in a magical underground world, but there are also similarities in the beauty of the language and in taking abstract concepts like dreams and giving them solid form.… (more)
    The Field Guide by Holly Black (C.Vick)
    The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (C.Vick)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (C.Vick)

This was a great and imaginative story! So many great creatures and characters woven in this magical world, it was hard to put the book down.
I liked the way Lauren shaped Liza. She was a fearless, smart and highly independent character. The best part is, the end was open enough if Lauren chose to write some more, she could. (I hope she does.) It was something at the end that had my hopes going for more, but I can't share it with you. You have to read it.
Kids 8-12 will love this book. Best part is, some parents, like me, will love this story too. It is a great teaching of not giving up, being brave, and always listening to the good not the bad.
A little gem of a book, and one I am happy is in my collection. ( )
  fredamans | Mar 25, 2014 |
Another fabulous book by Lauren Oliver. I cut it down by half a star because the concept with this one is not as original as "Lisel and Po". It's the old baby brother kidnapped by wicked creatures and older sister has to go to a fantasy world to rescue him plot. BUT no one could have done that plot better than Oliver. She's got lots of wonderful and strange original creatures that we meet along the way, and also a lovely friendship story woven in. And the writing is beautiful. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Oct 11, 2013 |
Reads like a great MG fantasy. I thought it lacked some characterization and some of the wording was boring compared to the fantastical things that were happening. I never truly felt Liza's love for Patrick. Still, not without merit, beautiful writing. ( )
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
i liked the simplicity of the story. from the very outset Liza comes alive and has a real mission on her hands.

from the moment she picks up the broom until she lays down again in bed the story is fast paced.

the characters she meets along the way are diverse and quite cute and horrible all in one.

i read it in 2 days. and it was worth the time. there are twists and turns and i would read it again and again.

ritapt | Aug 12, 2013 |
This book was one of the best young adult books I've read in a while. I loved the details of the environements, but espeically loved the interaction between Liza and Mirabella the rat. I will be sharing this with my kid and I'm sure she'll love it!
  OracleOfCrows | Jul 2, 2013 |

Lauren Oliverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bruno, IacopoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One night when Liza went to bed, Patrick was her chubby, stubby, candy-grubbing and pancake-loving younger brother, who irritated and amused her both, and the next morning, when she woke up, he was not.

Accompanied by an eccentric, human-sized rat, Liza embarks on a perilous quest through an underground realm to save her brother Patrick, whose soul has been stolen by the evilest of creatures--the spider-like spindlers.

25 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,287,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible