The Great Unexpected by Sharon Creech

The Great Unexpected (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sharon Creech

Member:ccostakis
Title:The Great Unexpected
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:Andersen Press Ltd (2012), Hardcover
Tags:magical, Ireland, mystery, ghosts, family

The Great Unexpected by Sharon Creech (2012)

Naomi and her friend, Lizzie Scatterding, are both foster children living in the quiet town of Blackbird Tree. Life takes on a mysterious air when Finn boy and the Dangle Doodle man show up in a town that's already inhabited by such characters as Witch Wiggins and Crazy Cora. Naomi carries the terrible scars, internal and on her arm, of her father’s death and a dog’s attack. Her guardian parents each share their hearts; Nula remembers privation and her estranged family in Ireland, and Joe teaches Naomi to dream and fly high into the clouds for inner peace. In a parallel story across the sea in Ireland, two women talk of times past, lost families and setting things right. Creech, a Newbery Award–winning author, deftly weaves a multi-layered story in which past and present thread their way around Naomi the romantic and Lizzie the singer. With a Finn boy for each generation, there’s joy in the air and in the reading. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
This one was a little slow starting for me, the narrator makes such a big difference. Eventually, like all Sharon Creech books, I loved it...
  LeonaL | Aug 1, 2016 |
Lizzie and Naomi are wonderful, with lyrical (almost poetic) voices. It took a bit to get into the stories shifting between Blackbird Tree and Rook's Orchard, but they slowly came together and the "why" went away. Although the story is fresh and original, the folktale / ghost story elements make it comfortable ... as does the humor! The short chapters add to the fun of reading this in smaller bits because it allowed the vividness of Creech's storytelling to sink in and to think up questions about what just happened.

Pros: Readers who love vivid imagery and quirky characters will enjoy unexpected moments of fun!

There's more to our review. Visit The Reading Tub®. While you’re there, add a link to your review.
  TheReadingTub | Feb 13, 2016 |
Guided Reading Level U
  jgslibrary | Jan 20, 2015 |
This book was alright. It wasn't as good as Walk Two Moons in my honest opinion. Many of the characters I was supposed to feel sympathy or sadness for I did not feel due to a lack of character development. Some characters even felt unnecessary to the plot as a whole. Whereas before when Sharon Creech switched between two different stories (Walk Two Moons) each one fed into the other, these two stories being talked about every other chapter did not flow or connect in any significant way. They felt as if they were so unconnected until the very end of the story. While it was an entertaining read, it did not have the emotional impact or depth that Walk Two Moons or other works of hers that I have read. This is why this book is just ok. ( )
  MattM50 | Nov 17, 2014 |
This is "...an enchanting page-turner filled with secrets, humor, decisions, "coincidences," and deeper meanings."

I had big thoughts to match the big wind. I wondered if we find the people we need when we need them. I wondered if we attract our future by some sort of invisible force, or if we are drawn to it by a similar force. I felt I was turning a corner and that change was afoot.

In the little town of Blackbird Tree live two orphan girls: one Naomi Deane, brimming with curiosity, and her best friend, Lizzie Scatterding, who could talk the ears off a cornfield. Naomi has a knack for being around when trouble happens. For she knows all the peculiar people in town—like Crazy Cora and Witch Wiggins and Mr. Farley. But then, one day, a boy drops out of a tree. The strangely charming Finn boy. Then the Dingle Dangle man appears, asking all kinds of questions. Curious surprises are revealed—three locked trunks, a pair of rooks, a crooked bridge, and that boy. Soon Naomi and Lizzie find themselves zooming toward a future neither could ever have imagined. Meanwhile, on a grand estate across the ocean, an old lady whose heart has been deceived concocts a plan. . . .

As two very different worlds are woven together, Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech celebrates the gossamer thread that connects us all, and the great and unexpected gifts of love, friendship, and forgiveness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

"In the little town of Blackbird Tree live two orphan girls: one Naomi Deane, brimming with curiosity, and her best friend, Lizzie Scatterding, who could talk the ears off a cornfield. Naomi has a knack for being around when trouble happens. For she knows all the peculiar people in town--like Crazy Cora and Witch Wiggins and Mr. Farley. But then, one day, a boy drops out of a tree. The strangely charming Finn boy. Then the Dingle Dangle man appears, asking all kinds of questions. Curious surprises are revealed--three locked trunks, a pair of rooks, a crooked bridge, and that boy. Soon Naomi and Lizzie find themselves zooming toward a future neither could ever have imagined. Meanwhile, on a grand estate across the ocean, an old lady whose heart has been deceived concocts a plan. . . "--Publisher.… (more)

21 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,285,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible