The Great Unexpected by Sharon Creech

The Great Unexpected (edition 2012)

by Sharon Creech

171None70,186 (3.73)3
Member:ccostakis
Title:The Great Unexpected
Authors:Sharon Creech
Info:Andersen Press Ltd (2012), Hardcover
Tags:magical, Ireland, mystery, ghosts, family

The Great Unexpected by Sharon Creech

A friend let me borrow his (signed!) copy of this delightful book, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I wasn't really sure what to to expect from this story, and it kept me engaged all the way through with its twists and turns and the lovely characters. It had a very "fairy tale" feeling, with characters that weren't necessarily completely fleshed out, but they didn't need to be -- they needed to be a little bit larger than life to make this work.

The two girls at the center of the story were so charming, I especially loved the stories and phrases from Joe, one of the girls' guardian. My especial favorite was "That girl could talk the ears off a cornfield." ( )
  srearley | Sep 21, 2013 |
Great new book from Sharon Creech. Loved the strong girl characters and the magical tone of the plot. ( )
  dmiller70 | Jul 2, 2013 |
Loved the characters. Loved the settings. Loved the mild suspense. Love Sharon Creech's way with words. ( )
  MontLancLibrary | May 8, 2013 |
I love Sharon Creech's ability to create quirky characters but this cast was a little over the top and distracted me from the story itself. Pleasant reading, but far from her best. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
Really great. Such a strong beginning, love the strong voice right from the moment the dead boy falls from the tree. ( )
  JenGennari | Apr 6, 2013 |
This is "...an enchanting page-turner filled with secrets, humor, decisions, "coincidences," and deeper meanings."

I had big thoughts to match the big wind. I wondered if we find the people we need when we need them. I wondered if we attract our future by some sort of invisible force, or if we are drawn to it by a similar force. I felt I was turning a corner and that change was afoot.

In the little town of Blackbird Tree live two orphan girls: one Naomi Deane, brimming with curiosity, and her best friend, Lizzie Scatterding, who could talk the ears off a cornfield. Naomi has a knack for being around when trouble happens. For she knows all the peculiar people in town—like Crazy Cora and Witch Wiggins and Mr. Farley. But then, one day, a boy drops out of a tree. The strangely charming Finn boy. Then the Dingle Dangle man appears, asking all kinds of questions. Curious surprises are revealed—three locked trunks, a pair of rooks, a crooked bridge, and that boy. Soon Naomi and Lizzie find themselves zooming toward a future neither could ever have imagined. Meanwhile, on a grand estate across the ocean, an old lady whose heart has been deceived concocts a plan. . . .

As two very different worlds are woven together, Newbery Medal winner Sharon Creech celebrates the gossamer thread that connects us all, and the great and unexpected gifts of love, friendship, and forgiveness.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:12 -0400)

"In the little town of Blackbird Tree live two orphan girls: one Naomi Deane, brimming with curiosity, and her best friend, Lizzie Scatterding, who could talk the ears off a cornfield. Naomi has a knack for being around when trouble happens. For she knows all the peculiar people in town--like Crazy Cora and Witch Wiggins and Mr. Farley. But then, one day, a boy drops out of a tree. The strangely charming Finn boy. Then the Dingle Dangle man appears, asking all kinds of questions. Curious surprises are revealed--three locked trunks, a pair of rooks, a crooked bridge, and that boy. Soon Naomi and Lizzie find themselves zooming toward a future neither could ever have imagined. Meanwhile, on a grand estate across the ocean, an old lady whose heart has been deceived concocts a plan. . . "--Publisher.… (more)

19 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible