Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Thumbelina by Hans Christian Andersen

Thumbelina (edition 2004)

by Hans Christian Andersen (Author), Brad Sneed (Illustrator)

Member:SwaledalePL
Title:Thumbelina
Authors:Hans Christian Andersen (Author)
Other authors:Brad Sneed (Illustrator)
Info:Dial Books (2004), Edition: 1st Edition, 40 pages

Thumbelina by Hans Christian Andersen

This is such a great story! This is the story of how fairies exist according to folklore. A woman was sad because she wanted a child. She was given a seed and planted it. Thumbelina grew out of a flower and was happy with her family. However, one day a toad came in the house and stole Thumbelina. She eventually met up with a mouse, a mole, and a raven. The raven eventually saved her and carried her to warmer weather where she met other little people that grew out of flowers. She was given wings and married to the prince of the fairies. Kids will really love this story. ( )
  etranchant | Nov 24, 2018 |
This is a classic story of a fairy that was born in the flower. This is a good story just to have adventure. She goes through a lot of trials. ( )
  ElainaBerger | Nov 23, 2018 |
Thumbelina is a small girl no bigger than someone's thumb. She gets very sad when she learns that there are no other small people like her. Born from the magic of a flower, Thumbelina is quickly whisked away from her home to marry an ugly toad, then a beetle, then a mole. She escapes each suitor in pursuit of someone her size, her one true love.

I remember liking this one as a kid because I was smaller than others in my class. Thumbelina is a gutsy girl who isn't afraid to go get what she wants. Hans Christian Anderson is a masterful storyteller and Brad Sneed really nails illustration his vision. The pages are stocked full of a brightly colorful fairy world and everything is detailed wonderfully to look big. My biggest issue was how ugly the animals seemed to look. Maybe this was on purpose, in the toad's case at least, but I found myself being distracted by them. The humans were done realistic and are nicely illustrated. ( )
  kvedros | Mar 12, 2018 |
I really like this book. I read this book when I was younger but forgot what happened in the book. Thumbelina loves to go on adventures even though she is rather tiny. One day she is kidnapped from home and there are many people trying to save her but they cannot. One day the right person comes along to save her and is perfect for her. It is a classic book and cute. ( )
  KayMilshell21 | Nov 14, 2017 |
I would read this book to any age, especially to the students in elementary. These students are a lot smaller than some of the other peers and people they are around daily. It can be challenging and even intimidating knowing that you are so small. Thumbelina is in the same boat. She is rather tiny, but never says no to an adventure. One day she is kidnapped from home. There is a process when every one is trying to be her suitor. One day, it finally happens where she finds someone that is just perfect for her. I would use this book in my classroom for many things because it discusses nature, location, and being resourceful. I would even tie it together with the aspect of even though you are small, you still can have a big heart to survive anything, especially with the support of others. ( )
  Karleyk14 | Nov 12, 2017 |

Andersen, Hans Christianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mills, LaurenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sneed, BradIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

It's not easy being small, but in Brad Sneed's lovely new adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's Thumbelina, at least life is full of adventure. Soon after being born from a fiery red flower, Thumbelina is kidnapped from home and pursued by many suitors, including a horrible toad, a bumbling beetle, and a grumpy mole--until the plucky heroine finds a true love who fits her just right.
Sneed's rich, detailed watercolors are a true standout, illustrating the animals and natural world with remarkable realism and vibrancy. The story, lighthearted and lively, has a simple text that keeps the elegant flavor of the original tale, yet is perfect for a picture book audience.
Brad Sneed's fresh look at a well-loved fairy tale is simply sumptuous!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:49 -0400)

After being kidnapped by a toad, a beautiful girl no bigger than a thumb has many adventures and makes many animal friends before meeting the perfect mate just her size.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,517,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible