Black Lament (Black Wings) by Christina…

Black Lament (Black Wings) (edition 2012)

by Christina Henry

Member:TheLibraryhag
Title:Black Lament (Black Wings)
Authors:Christina Henry
Info:Ace (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Paranormal Library
Tags:library book, grim reapers, chicks who kick ass, vampires, fallen angels, urban fiction, demons

Black Lament by Christina Henry

Having Lucifer as a father can be daunting… and dangerous. Maddy Black finds out she is pregnant soon after losing the love of her life, Gabriel, at the hands of her father, making her unborn child a powerful creation of two of Lucifer’s bloodlines. While still mourning his loss, ...read more http://www.musingwithcrayolakym.com/10/post/2013/05/book-review-black-lament.htm... ( )
  crayolakym | May 19, 2013 |
Still grieving and pregnant, Maddy, a band of the fallen and of course Beezle, seek to avenge Gabriel and stop the renagade Azazel from completing his dastardly plans. Maddie is also being hunted by the fairies who want her dead, like yesterday. So she has to deal with that too.

These books just keep getting better and better. Maddie is such a wild card but things always seem to work out for her. She has magic and a tendency to gain the loyalty of others, even though she constantly leads them into dangerous situations. You would think they would all be staying at minimum safe distance, but somehow they go with her time after time. There is plenty of action and humor. The characters are also developing, not just staying the same, which is nice. This may be the best book so far. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Jan 12, 2013 |
This is the fourth book in the Madeline Black series. It was a solid installment in this series, if not the best one in the series. The fifth book in the series, Black City, is scheduled for a Feb 2013 release.

Madeline Black finds out from Lucifer that she is pregnant with Gabriel's baby. Now she not only has to evade numerous assassination attempts from the Faerie court, she also has to hunt down her father to revenge Gabriel, and keep her unborn child out of Lucifer's hands. All of this while she continues to grieve for Gabriel.

This story was fast-paced and has a lot going on. Definitely more of an urban fantasy than PNR. These are always interesting books because, while they don’t always have a clear story or objective, there is always a lot happening and it’s engaging.

Maddie has embraced her power and isn’t afraid to destroy everything in her path to get to a goal. This book is interesting because she is forced to temper her behavior slightly to allow for her pregnancy. I do enjoy how powerful she has become and how she is always kicking someone’s butt.

My favorite character in this series continues to be Beezle the gargoyle; he just adds so much witty banter and humor to the story. Simon and JB are also running support for Maddie and it was great to have them be part of the story as well.

The other character that features in the story that I was surprised to enjoy is Nathaniel. He is in the story a lot because he is assigned by Lucifer to guard Maddie. He is becoming a more complex character and you couldn’t help but feel a bit bad for him at times.

We delve a lot deeper into the faerie realms in this book and I really enjoyed all the crazy faerie creatures that try to hunt Maddie down. There are some seriously creepy faerie creatures in this book and I loved reading about them.

I do like that they were some big revelations with Maddie’s character; I think this book paved the way for her to really grow and change in future books. She is finally embracing her godlike heritage.

My only complaint is that Maddie is a bit too lucky and powerful and is continually getting out of situations she shouldn't be able to get out of. She tends to blast her way through situations that she could probably talk her way out of. While I enjoy the action scenes; I do feel like Maddie’s overzealousness and crazy luck is a bit over the top.

Overall I really enjoyed this story. Fans of the this series should be happy with this installment. We meet some new and interesting fairy creatures. We also get to see Maddie go through some big changes. Maddie’s continual ability to escape impossible situations unscathed does get a bit old, but I do enjoy the fast pace of the story and all of the interesting characters. I recommend this series to fans of urban fantasy. There are better urban fantasy series out there, but this is still a solid one that I enjoy reading. ( )
  krau0098 | Nov 19, 2012 |
Even though Maddy has been through hell and lost much she is incredibly strong and level headed most of the time. The Agency is breathing down her neck and the Fae are trying to kill her at every turn. She is pregnant and has lost her husband but she is not alone and with so many behind her she continues to fight against those that are against her.

Maddy is in a lot of emotional pain throughout BLACK LAMENT. She broke down a few times and was depressing at many points. Madeline acted a bit like a child once or twice and killed without remorse at others. She was kind of all over the place but that should be expected after losing the person she loves and then finding out she is pregnant while dodging murder attempts at every turn. BLACK LAMENT is filled with action and danger. Maddy has grown a ton in her fighting skills and she continues to amaze me when she beats down those that should be stronger than her. Beezle continues to be a constant source of entertainment and comic relief, you never know what will come out of his mouth next. I still have no clue what to think of Lucifer. He seems to genuinely care for Madeline but he is Lucifer and his motives are anything but clear. Nathaniel is back and in the thick of the story again. Not really happy that he is once again getting close to her but I will continue to see where that all leads.

So much can happen next and I'm to invested in the story and the characters not to pick up book 5. BLACK CITY is set to release in February of 2013. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Oct 29, 2012 |
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:

I am absolutely in love with this series, so when Christina sent me an ARC of Black Lament to get me through a tough time following back to back surgeries, she couldn't have given me a better gift.

After crying my eyes out following the conclusion of Black Howl and just KNOWING that Christina had amazing things in store for not only us but her characters, I was chomping at the bit to start Black Lament. Let me tell you that Miss Henry did not disappoint, not even a bit!

My first words upon completing the book were this: "Holy cow! Another amazing read by Christina Henry. Dark, intriguing, action packed, emotion laced, & jam packed with goodness. I can't wait for the next book!"

As the synopsis says, after tragedy strikes, Maddy finds some comfort in the fact that she has something to look forward to. The only problem is that she just can't seem to stay out of trouble, and everyone wants a piece of her for their own personal gains. She's pretty much made enemies in all the supernatural courts, and now she's getting heat from her bosses bosses to boot.

This is an incredibly difficult review to write because SO much happens in this installment and I refuse to spoil any of it. Many, many things change, characters that you hated you have to learn to like, characters that were always Maddy's rocks are beginning to waiver, numerous new characters are introduced and muddle up the already delicate balance that Maddy is desperately trying to hold on to (both for better and for worse), and Maddy discovers and nurtures a darkness within herself that has those closest to her a bit on edge.

One of the best lines is towards the end of the book and sums up a lot of the feeling throughout the tale. Maddy and Lucifer are talking and Lucifer asks "Do you really believe you can defeat whatever comes your way?". Maddy replies with, "I have to believe that, because every time I turn around there's something else". That, in a nutshell, sums up this series thus far, and especially this installment.

In Black Lament, Christina changes things even more than she did in Black Howl (and I wasn't sure that was even possible). She also opens up the series for an entirely new sub-plotline, and I am dying to see how Black Days turns out!

Love, love LOVE this series!

LITERAL ADDICTION gives Black Lament a well deserved 5 Skulls and would recommend it to all Urban Fantasy lovers. I do suggest that readers take in the whole series and start with Black Wings, Black Night and Black Howl before Black Lament, however. There is just too much history that you'll miss, and you don't want to miss them anyway; they're too fantastic. ( )
  LITERALADDICTION | Sep 16, 2012 |

As an Agent of Death, Madeline Black deals with loss every day. But when tragedy touches her own life, Maddy will have to find the strength within to carry on…

Devastated and grieving, Maddy unexpectedly finds hope with the discovery that she is pregnant. But Maddy’s joy is short lived when Lucifer informs her that he wants the baby, hoping to draw on the combined power of two of his bloodlines. Maddy is determined that her grandfather will never have her child, but she’s not sure what she can do to stop him.

Being pregnant is stressful enough, but Maddy suddenly finds herself at odds with the Agency—forbidden from meddling in the affairs of the supernatural courts. When a few of her soul collections go awry, Maddy begins to suspect that the Agency wants to terminate her employment. They should know by now that she isn’t the sort to give up without a fight…

Devastated and grieving, Maddy unexpectedly finds hope with the discovery that she is pregnant. But her joy is short-lived when Lucifer informs her that he wants the baby.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,155,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible