Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, Book 2) by…

Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, Book 2) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:cranegirl
Title:Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, Book 2)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (2007)

English (145)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  Dutch (1)  English (149)
Blood Bound Patricia Briggs
Rating ★★★★

Synopsis: Under the rule of science, there are no witch burnings allowed, no water trials or public lynchings. In return, the average law-abiding, solid citizen has little to worry about from the things that go bump in the night. Sometimes I wish I was an average citizen...

Mechanic Mercy Thompson has friends in low places-and in dark ones. And now she owes one of them a favor. Since she can shapeshift at will, she agrees to act as some extra muscle when her vampire friend Stefan goes to deliver a message to another of his kind.

But this new vampire is hardly ordinary-and neither is the demon inside of him

My Thoughts:It's been a long time since I read the first book in the Mercy Thompson series and I was afraid I'd be lost. I was able to just pick up where I left off pretty easily except some of the secondary characters just didn't ring a bell with me.

What I liked :Mercy. Although she's preternatural, she was not super-human. She was quicker than a human but if someone punched her, it hurt her. Unlike some other paranormal characters, who could get beat within an inch of their lives and still walk to the local pub for a pint afterwards. I also liked some of the secondary characters. Stefan is such an interesting character and one I'd like to see more of. Adam and Samuel are also pluses but they didn't intrigue me as much as Stefan did.

What I didn't like: The love....um double triangle? We have Mercy and Samuel. Mercy and Adam. And the possibility of Mercy and Stefan (he cares for Mercy, in my eyes, more than just a friend.) I don't care for love triangles let alone something this complex. Another thing I'm not loving is all the dominance being thrown around with the werewolves. The all seem to want to dominate Mercy. I understand their need to protect but there is a lot of subservience going on that I have a hard time going a long with no matter how much Briggs explains it. Another negative was that I was surprised by all the new world building that happened in this book. By book 2 we've already established general rules and such but this book focused on vampires. There were a lot of vampire rules. At times I felt there was almost too much information coming my way and the term "info dump" kept sneaking into my brain while reading. Oh and what is up with the cover? Mercy has one tattoo. ONE. Why does she have tons on the cover?

In a Nutshell: Not quite as enjoyable as the first one especially with an unexpected info dump which usually doesn't happen in a second book. However, Briggs has created some really good characters. It will be fun to see where they go from there. ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
Blood Bound
4 Stars

Overall, the plot, world building and characters are very compelling although there are one or two elements that grate on the nerves.

Lets get these out of the way first. To begin with, the religious overtones are becoming more and more irritating. They were quite subtle in book #1 but become more overt in Blood Bound, and while I have great respect for people of faith and have my own beliefs, I dislike being preached to and Urban Fantasy is not an appropriate genre for espousing the Christian faith or anti-abortion rhetoric.

Moreover, the misogynistic facets are annoying. Yes, the werewolves are a patriarchal society and a woman's rank is determined by that of her mate but Mercy's attitude toward the women in the pack is not much better. On the surface, she seems to criticize and reject the chauvinistic elements but underneath it all is an implied acceptance of it. She has no female friends either within or without the pack and takes on a condescending and elitist tone when relating to other female characters, especially Honey. She also seems to enjoy the dominance of the male wolves and to accept the potential for submissiveness.

Nevertheless, Blood Bound is an entertaining book and the dynamics between the various supernatural groups and characters are very intriguing. Mercy is intelligent and likable enough although she is not as kick-ass as I would like (she definitely suffers in comparison to Kate Daniels). Her chemistry with Adam, the pack alpha, is one of the highlights of the story although I could do without the love quadrangle with Samuel and now Stefan (ick!)

The plot surrounding a demon possessed sorcerer who is also a rogue vampire makes for exciting reading. The insight into vampire culture, their strengths and weaknesses adds an extra layer to the world building as does the new information on pack politics.

All in all, the Mercy Thompson series has potential despite its shortfalls and I am interested enough in the world and the characters to continue.
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I enjoy this series much more than the Charlaine Harris books. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Mercy seems to be collecting Male Admirer..erer...ers. Luckily, she understands that a lot of it is politics and power games- but she's creeping into MarySue territory here. I do like the fact that Mercy remains uninformed (and is pretty p'ed off about said lack of info) by the people who intend to use her ...unique... skill-set for their own rise into power.
Described by more than one character as the one most likely to fall on the grenade for the team, she's definitely in Shero territory, but her ultimate Shero status is still up in the air; in my opinion, anyway.

Good book, good characters, and good unfinished storylines to draw you to the next volume. ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
I have so much love for this series! This was my second time reading this book and I can honestly say that I liked it just as much as I did the first and maybe even a bit more. One thing that I enjoy about re-reading books in series that I love is seeing how many things have changed for the characters. I love how some of the groundwork for future events takes root in earlier books.

The characters in this series are wonderful. Mercy is awesome. She has a wonderful sense of humor and she is tough. She knows that she is not as physically strong as many of the people she surrounds herself with but she more than makes up for it in mental toughness. She isn't afraid to take risks especially if it is the right thing to do. This book actually has a pretty big cast of characters and I really love them all. Adam and Sam are both great characters. The members of Adam's pack are all so well defined that they really stand out as individuals. I think it takes real skill to bring such a big group of characters to life.

The world building in this series is phenomenal. Everything just fits perfectly. It seems like each book adds another layer to the whole picture with complete consistency. I love all of the pack politics and learning about how all of these different groups have learned to live with each other. There were moments in this book that were quite creepy and I loved every moment of it.

I really enjoyed Lorelei King's narration. Her voice fits Mercy's character quiet well. It was really easy to follow and I thought she did a great job differentiating between all of the different characters. I also thought that she did a great job in displaying all of the different emotions of the story. I can't wait to continue this series in audio.

I would highly recommend this series to others. I think that anyone who enjoys urban fiction or paranormal stories should check out this series. I am a huge Patricia Briggs fan and can't wait to see what she can come up with next. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Aug 14, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is lovingly dedicated to the folks of the Tri-Cities, Washington, who never knew what was living in their midst.
Like most people who own their own businesses, I work long hours that start early in the morning.
"You have to be strong to survive, and stronger to want to do so."

Mechnic Mercy Thompson has friends in low places - and in dark ones. And now she owes one of them a favour. Since she can shapeshift at will, she agrees to act as some extra muscle when her vampire friend Stefan goes to deliver a message to another of his kind.

But this new vampire is hardly ordinary - and neither is the demon inside of him...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441014739, Mass Market Paperback)

But this new vampire is hardly ordinary-and neither is the demon inside of him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:40 -0400)

Jalopy mechanic and were-creature Mercedes Thompson can change into a coyote whenever she wants to. As a favor, she agrees to back up vampire friend Stefan when he confronts another of his kind. But, being demon-possessed, that vampire proves deadlier than most and before she can do anything to help, Mercedes is in the middle of a war with vampires and werewolves.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible