Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, Book 2) by…

Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, Book 2) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Patricia Briggs

4,2071481,186 (4.2)159
Member:cranegirl
Title:Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, Book 2)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (2007)

English (144)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (148)
Still love these books. This one widens the world a bit, bringing in more vampire politics. The love triangle (square?) continues, but its not overwhelming nor is it the major focus of the book. The conclusion is satisfactory. The cover art continues to be ridiculous, but that's true of the whole series. I still highly recommend. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jul 5, 2016 |
Really good book. I think I enjoyed this one more than the first. Loving the characters, they're all interesting and well written. The plot was good and didn't really slow down once. Kept me going :) ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
A dominant wolf's desire to protect was a strong instinct- Samuel was very dominant. Give him an inch, and he's take over the world- my life, if I let him.

While being impressed, I wasn’t blown away by the first book, but I still was itching to see where the writer led me next in the unusual life of Mercy. Many recommendations and high five praises helped me have hope the series would rise above average with each book. It is easy to see glimpses of greatness trying to sneak a peek out of the first book’s pages.

Happily the hippy Stefan plays a heavier role as he calls in some friend-obligation favors from pal Mercy. Obliged to help her vamp friend battle a supernatural nemesis that’s bringing down the city, she prioritizes the fight while juggling a potential love triangle and trying to see where she fits into the local pack safely.

Action wises it pushes the first off the bookshelf with a hard shove, having much more exciting stuff at play and starting earlier. This also can rev the heart more since it seems the characters are brought more into the limelight and seem more alive.

Adam’s intriguingly awesome and delicious. Samuel is haunted but that backstory history certainly took creative sparks to conjure. Not many are in mood for “romantic/hate love knots” and really, Briggs doesn’t torture us. The love triangle is subtle, a mere possibility looming, in the face with a caress but not a cliché slap.

Stefan simply fascinates. He sounds hokey by review but he sure rocks by book.

There’s airs of mystery with him too so it’s hard to know what’s going to come up. The villain is well done and bizarre.

Briggs again dishes out a great heroine, and she clearly has fun making her supe world flesh out to a more realistic experience. I’m pleased I continued with this series – as I figured it got better with the second book.

To me this improved much upon the first. Mercy is just as likeable as always, but the plot seems firmer and more exciting. I read this one quickly, devouring the drama and relationship angles that aren't laid on TOO thickly, the bizarre villain, some pretty disturbing stuff, and the "super ending". It's as if the author took the characters from the first book and spruced them up for this one. It's not the kind of intense story where you'll be on the edge-of-your-seat chomping your nails to the bit, but still further fleshed out and intriguing.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
loved it. ( )
  Emmy_Gerard | Jun 3, 2016 |
Blood Bound
4 Stars

Overall, the plot, world building and characters are very compelling although there are one or two elements that grate on the nerves.

Lets get these out of the way first. To begin with, the religious overtones are becoming more and more irritating. They were quite subtle in book #1 but become more overt in Blood Bound, and while I have great respect for people of faith and have my own beliefs, I dislike being preached to and Urban Fantasy is not an appropriate genre for espousing the Christian faith or anti-abortion rhetoric.

Moreover, the misogynistic facets are annoying. Yes, the werewolves are a patriarchal society and a woman's rank is determined by that of her mate but Mercy's attitude toward the women in the pack is not much better. On the surface, she seems to criticize and reject the chauvinistic elements but underneath it all is an implied acceptance of it. She has no female friends either within or without the pack and takes on a condescending and elitist tone when relating to other female characters, especially Honey. She also seems to enjoy the dominance of the male wolves and to accept the potential for submissiveness.

Nevertheless, Blood Bound is an entertaining book and the dynamics between the various supernatural groups and characters are very intriguing. Mercy is intelligent and likable enough although she is not as kick-ass as I would like (she definitely suffers in comparison to Kate Daniels). Her chemistry with Adam, the pack alpha, is one of the highlights of the story although I could do without the love quadrangle with Samuel and now Stefan (ick!)

The plot surrounding a demon possessed sorcerer who is also a rogue vampire makes for exciting reading. The insight into vampire culture, their strengths and weaknesses adds an extra layer to the world building as does the new information on pack politics.

All in all, the Mercy Thompson series has potential despite its shortfalls and I am interested enough in the world and the characters to continue.
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is lovingly dedicated to the folks of the Tri-Cities, Washington, who never knew what was living in their midst.
Like most people who own their own businesses, I work long hours that start early in the morning.
"You have to be strong to survive, and stronger to want to do so."

Under the rule of science, there are no witch burnings allowed, no water trials or public lynchings. In return, the average law-abiding, solid citizen has little to worry about from the things that go bump in the night. Sometimes I wish I was an average citizen...

Mechnic Mercy Thompson has friends in low places - and in dark ones. And now she owes one of them a favour. Since she can shapeshift at will, she agrees to act as some extra muscle when her vampire friend Stefan goes to deliver a message to another of his kind.

But this new vampire is hardly ordinary - and neither is the demon inside of him...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441014739, Mass Market Paperback)

Mechanic Mercy Thompson has friends in low places-and in dark ones. And now she owes one of them a favor. Since she can shapeshift at will, she agrees to act as some extra muscle when her vampire friend Stefan goes to deliver a message to another of his kind.

But this new vampire is hardly ordinary-and neither is the demon inside of him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:40 -0400)

Jalopy mechanic and were-creature Mercedes Thompson can change into a coyote whenever she wants to. As a favor, she agrees to back up vampire friend Stefan when he confronts another of his kind. But, being demon-possessed, that vampire proves deadlier than most and before she can do anything to help, Mercedes is in the middle of a war with vampires and werewolves.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,582,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible