Dangerous Duty of Delight: The Glorified God…

Dangerous Duty of Delight: The Glorified God and the Satisfied Soul…

by John Piper

Recently added bybcil, wendyosborn, Louis_Faustino, omf.ph, private library, TMBClibrary, ThomasSDGSF, BibleBoy, barhbar

Transformed my way of looking at life. ( )
  Gary_Merriman | Mar 3, 2014 |
Really enjoyed this fresh look at desiring God. These are some of my favorite quotes:
“If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.” by CS Lewis
“The great hindrance to worship is not that we are pleasure-seeking people, but that we are willing to settle for such pitiful pleasures.”
“God is not glorified when we keep for ourselves (no matter how thankfully) what we ought to be using to alleviate the misery of unevangelized, unmedicated and unfed millions.”
"Life is war. All talk of a Christian's right to live luxuriously 'as a child of the King' in this atmosphere sounds hollow - especially since the King Himself stripped for battle.”
"The great incentive for throwing our lives into the cause of missions is the 10,000 - percent return on the investment."
“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.” Jim Elliot
“In the pursuit of joy through suffering, we magnify the all-satisfying worth of the Source of our joy.” ( )
  dannywahlquist | May 14, 2013 |
One of those books where it's absolutely critical that you READ THE WHOLE THING through. Piper is great for using language that shocks the reader into paying attention. If you take what he sometimes writes, out of context, then you will think he's a heretic. Let him finish his thought and explain himself and you will find him radically transforming.
1 vote R.I.F. | May 13, 2009 |
Anything written by John Piper is life changing for me. If you love his books, visit his website, "desiringgod.com" and watch him preach. ( )
1 vote tiffleeanderson | Dec 15, 2007 |
In this short booklet, Piper argues that the Christian is to pursue pleasure as much as possible. Of course, ultimate pleasure and satisfaction and contentment is only found in Jesus Christ. He explains the idea, argues for it, and derives implications for it. The chapters are short and fairly simple, but it makes great devotional reading when you only have 10 minutes. ( )
1 vote james.garriss | Sep 24, 2007 |

"Jesús Nos Satisface

Cada uno de nosostros siente cierta inquietud, una nostalgia inconsolable. Algunos tratan de satisfacerla con vacaciones pintorescas, logros en el campo de la creatividad, grandes producciones cinematográficas, incursiones en el ámbito sexual, deportes que ofrecen grandes espectáculos, drogas alucinógenas, rigores ascetas, excelencia gerencial y más. Pero la nostalgia permanece.

¿Por qué?

John Piper nos hace volver el corazón hacia el único objeto verdadero del deseo humano: Dios. Nos muestra cómo, al cumplir con el deber de deleitarnos en Él, puede cambiar nuestra actitud hacia el matrimonio, los bienes materiales y nuestra misión y propósito en la tierra. ¡Acompáñelo en una travesía que va de un deseo desesperado al deleite infinito!"
(Descripción obtenida de la tapa trasera del libro)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,359,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible