Ravishing the Heiress by Sherry Thomas

Ravishing the Heiress

by Sherry Thomas

Series: Fitzhugh Trilogy (2)

This story took a really long time to get going, but the characters were really well developed. I felt like the lead character was a little too good to be true, but overall the story was believable. It was an enjoyable read. I would read more from this author. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
***This doesn't contain any direct spoilers, but maybe enough information that it might be****

I wavered between a three and a four for this one. I wanted Fitz to be less dense and Millie to stick up for herself. Eight years? Granted, two people can decide to do whatever they want to between themselves, but Fitz was an idiot for not noticing that Millie truly loved him (as one of his sisters pointed out). His behavior when Isabelle returned was appalling, as was the whole "6-month thing." So Isabelle needed help with the children, but he'd get Millie pregnant and leave her? What sort of twisted logic is that? And the fact that she took care of him when he was being so incredibly awful on their "honeymoon" when the whole reason he was behaving that way was because he was married to her--petulant, whiny boy! How long did it take him to realize she'd had to give up things as well? That's why the hesitation between 3 or 4 stars. I felt command of the story was good, and I liked Millie, even if I want to yell "wake up" at her sometimes. I can see how she might have thought declaring her love for him before she thought he was ready might drive him away if he didn't know what to do with that information, and maybe the timing was as it should be, but I know I couldn't live that way for eight years, not with someone I loved. (I suppose I'm more of a jealous type than Millie seems to be, however). I hope he spends the rest of his life being extremely, extremely nice to her, and remembers her birthdays and their anniversaries. I was glad his sisters took her side--they realized early on how lucky he was to have had an arranged marriage with someone so genuinely nice and kind, who overlooked their brother's obvious faults. One thing about Millie, though, is that while she was overlooked, she is perfectly capable of taking care of herself. And in terms of the gossip mill, it seems as though Fitz could have formed one just on his own shenanigans, another thing not very fair to Millie--it never really came up, unless I missed it, but when she went out, she would have been in the presence of women her husband had slept with. Definitely not very nice or well-considered on his part. I think he needed to grow up and never really did until he was older and had to make the decision he did. What rock finally fell on his head to make him realize that yes, people do change over eight years?

I was thinking these things while I was reading, it wasn't as if they suddenly came to me when I was done, but I felt invested in Millie and wanted to know what would happen to her, because she truly deserved someone nice. She at least deserved a nice young man as a friend, even if just a friend, for nothing else if to make Fitz jealous. That might have hurried things along.

Now there's just poor Helena. I have to wait for the last book because someone has it on hold before me. Literally a hold, not as in they're so enraptured of it they can't let go. :-) ( )
  waclements7 | Oct 27, 2015 |
Me hubiera gustado mucho mas si no la autora no hubiese puesto tanto énfasis en el pasado (a pesar de que esos capítulos sirven para comprender la rara amistad de la pareja principal y el modo en que elsufrimiento del amor no correspondido de Millie la va hundiendo en una sumisión casi patética , es decir , la manera en que la heroina opta por ahogar sus propios sentimientos en pos de un futuro junto a ese preciso objeto de amor imposible ) .

También me parece que el muchachito podría haber sido un poco menos obtuso en sus verdaderos sentimientos 8 años sin saber que amas a alguien ? En serio? Vivís al lado de ella , te hablas con ella durante 8 años y recién te das cuenta de que la queres cuando ... ? Ya saben , ya saben , siempre tiene que ver con el sexo en primer lugar , el sexo como revelación antes que como parte de la cotidianidad del amor . El sexo es solo una parte , creo yo ; no es un abridor de puertas a la poética monotonía del amor (?) , hay mas formas de llegar a esa poesía ) ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Maybe I read the wrong book, but since when did consensual sex between husband and wife count as 'ravishing'? Why the misleading title? Okay, maybe The Sardine Heiress wouldn't sound so good, but surely an award-winning best-selling author doesn't need such tacky marketing.

[b:Ravishing the Heiress|13051602|Ravishing the Heiress (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #2)|Sherry Thomas|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1326225990s/13051602.jpg|18216417] is a much better effort than the hugely disappointing [b:His at Night|6903194|His at Night|Sherry Thomas|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320458803s/6903194.jpg|7126917] but still a far, far cry from the originality and brilliance of Ms Thomas' first few novels.

An arranged marriage between Millie, heiress to a canned-food fortune, and Fitz, a reluctant earl who's inherited little more than a couple of derelict properties, seems destined to fail. Millie falls in love with Fitz the moment she sees him, but Fitz is already besotted with a childhood sweetheart. Aware of Fitz's love for Isabelle, Millie gives him permission to continue his relationship with Isabelle — but Isabelle gets married, goes off to India, has a couple of kids, and loses her husband. Isabelle returns to England hoping to pick up where she left off with Fitz. Fitz seems quite happy with the idea. Millie bravely tries to ride out the emotional storm created by this improbable love triangle.

The character of Millie is drawn with firm, deft strokes but Fitz ends up as a caricature, and an unpleasant one at that. Ms Thomas avoids most of the pitfalls of plotting a three-sided romance, but there are several gooey moments along the way.

An otherwise enjoyable story begins to come undone with Isabelle's return to England. Instead of a tension-building climax, all is resolved in two or three very short chapters, leaving at least one reader with a major WTF? reaction. Not only does Ms Thomas lose her sense of rhythm and pace, she lapses into corny greeting-card dialogues. ( )
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
RATING: 4 stars

When I finished this book a few hours ago I was ready to give it five stars because OMG! it was so romantic and the heroine got her man (as if it didn't always happened in these kinds of books), but mostly because I was weary of reading Sherry Thomas again, after being thouroughly disappointed by His at Night and I actually liked this book. This book made me tear up, because the heroine was just so damn endearing.

But... then I started thinking. Millie is endearing, the type of heroine you can't help but root for, but she did put up with too much sh** from the hero (who was clueless and never apologized properly) and she forgave him too easily. Too easily indeed. And in the end I can't help but think she should have let him stew a little more, work a little more for her forgiveness. I mean, he cheats on her (she gave him permission, but still), he takes up with his old flame and everytime he comes back and tells what has happened between him and his childhood sweetheart without even considering the humiliation of it? And she forgives him all because in the end, he realizes he loves her. No.

I also wasn't particularly fond of the sub-plot with Helena, Fitz's twin sister. I mean, apparently book 3 is her book, why should her story be featured in this book as well?

The ending was too abrupt.

Still, the book was sweet. And I really liked reading it, stayed up late to read it, and that is always a good thing, right? So 4 stars.
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |

Sherry Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sterlin, JennyReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband,
the one with whom I have built my life.
CHAPTER 1
Fate
1888 ~~

It was love at first sight.
Love without friendship is like a kite, aloft only when the winds are favorable. Friendship is what give love wings.

Millicent understands the terms of her arranged marriage all too well. She gets to be a Countess by marrying an impoverished Earl. And in return, the Earl Fitzhugh receives the benefit of her vast wealth, saving his family from bankruptcy. Because of her youth, they have agreed to wait eight years before consummating the marriage--and then, only to beget an heir. After which, they will lead separate lives.

It is a most sensible arrangement. Except for one little thing. Somehow Millie has fallen head over heels in love with her husband. Her husband, who has become her very best friend, but nothing more...Her husband, who plans to reunite with his childhood sweetheart, the beautiful and newly widowed Isabella, as soon as he has honored the pact with his wife...

As the hour they truly become husband-and-wife draws near, both Millie and Fitzhugh must face the truth in their hearts. Has their pact bred only a great friendship--or has it, without either of them quite noticing, given rise to a great love?

-back cover

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425250873, Mass Market Paperback)

As the hour they truly become husband-and-wife draws near, both Millie and Fitzhugh must face the truth in their hearts. Has their pact bred only a great friendship--or has it, without either of them quite noticing, given rise to a great love?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:18 -0400)

When her arranged marriage to the Earl Fitzhugh leads to a lasting friendship, but nothing more, Millicent, who has fallen head over heels in love with her husband, vows to prove to him that there is something between them that is worth fighting for.

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,022,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible