The Widow of Saunders Creek by Tracey…

The Widow of Saunders Creek

by Tracey Bateman

“The Widow of Saunders Creek” by Tracey Bateman is the story of Corrie, the young widow of a soldier who was killed in Iraq. She comes home to the house left to her husband Jarrod by his grandmother. It needs a lot of remodeling, so she hires Jarrod’s cousin Eli to do the repairs. Eli and Jarrod had a close relationship, but Jarrod was always trying to best Eli in everything they did. When Corrie moves into the house strange things keep happening. Corrie thinks it’s her husband coming back to her as a spirit. Eli, however, is convinced that it’s the dark side. Eli’s and Jarrod’s families are descendants of Appalachian people who had the “gift”. The longer Eli works on the house, the more strange things happen. Because Corrie is angry at Jarrod for getting himself killed, she is afraid that Jarrod is angry with her. She has lost her faith. Eli, who is also a pastor, tries to make Corrie see that God is always with her and if she calls for him, she can overcome the spirit of darkness that has pervaded her home.

I never like reading about spirits and hauntings, but this book was different. I really liked the way Ms. Bateman treated the characters in the novel, bringing them to real life almost. I usually get goosebumps reading stories like this, but the characters of Corrie and Eli weren’t afraid, but were determined to rid the home of spirits. You’ll have to read the book to find out what happens.

The author, Tracey Bateman, lives in the Missouri Ozarks with her husband and family. With more than thirty novels in print, including Thirsty and Tandem, Tracey spends all her time telling tales, creating characters, and dreaming of other worlds. You can read more about Tracey Bateman on her website: http://www.traceybateman.com/

I received a free Kindle copy of this book for my honest review from the publisher. The opinions expressed here are my own.

You can find this review on my blog:
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
In this book, Corrie loses her husband, Jarrod – a soldier – to a suicide bomber in Iraq. He dies a hero, but she is angry that he threw his life away so impulsively and left her behind to grieve. She stays with her wealthy mother – in Texas – for as long as she can stand it until she feels drawn to Jarrod's childhood home in Missouri. Jarrod was supposed to return home soon, and Corrie and he planned to live there and raise a family. Jarrod left the house to Corrie and this causes a stir among some of his family members.
Jarrod's cousin Eli is doing the remodeling. There is a history between Jarrod and Eli that nobody is aware of which feeds Eli's long time jealousy. Eli is a religious man. He preaches at the small town church and runs a camp for kids who have deployed parents. He feels an attraction to Corrie but doesn't want to push too quickly. He knows she isn't over the loss of her husband yet, and he has to work out his own issues of envying Jarrod.
Corrie moves into the house and slowly builds a bond with Eli. They become friends. She is overcome with grief, and feels the loss of Jarrod all over again. She believes she can sense his presence, and that her husband returned to the house when he died. Eli disagrees. He feels the house has been haunted for many years because parts of his family dabble in witchcraft and invited these things into the home. Corrie has to sort out her beliefs and what this supernatural presence really is. She has a budding affection for Eli. He supports and encourages her to move forward, to regain her talent as an artist, and to be a member of her new community. She feels guilty about it, and she has to work through all her doubts and misgivings to figure out if she can have a relationship with Eli.

I thought this was a very entertaining, well written story. I liked the characters. The range and depth of feelings Corrie went through were powerful. It is understandable that she would want to believe her husband was still there, that she wanted to hold on to him some how. I enjoyed Lola's part. She blows into town and sets her sights on the handyman – and Lola usually get what she wants – but he is no pushover. The presence in the house was spooky. If you believe in that sort of thing – which I do – it will hit a nerve. I happen to agree with Eli. Don't invite those things into your home. The way the story came together at the end with Eli in the barn will show you just what happens when you become friendly with an unholy entity.

I did receive this book for free in exchange for an honest review. If you are not averse to paying the kindle edition price, I would recommend reading it. ( )
  TinaMarieSays | Oct 15, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have always been fascinated by hauntings. Nothing gets me more intrigued than a good ghost story and that's just what I found within the pages of "The Widow of Saunders Creek" by Tracey Bateman.

Corrie Saunders just longs to have her husband back, and really doesn't know how to go on with her life without him in it. Jarrod was an army man, who didn't make it back home from the Iraqi war. So six months after his death Corrie decides to move into the family home her husband inherited in the hopes that somehow he will be able to come back to her. As she decides to renovate the house, Jarrod's cousin Eli, who happens to be a pastor decides to lend his assistance. Soon Corrie starts sensing a presence and wants to believe that it is Jarrod. While Eli has never believed that people can visit from the beyond, he does believe in evil spirits, and thinks that is what is making its presence known at the house.

Wow, labeled as a fiction/suspense I found this book really different from most christian suspense that I normally read. First of all we have Corrie who misses her husband, and I actually felt a bit of resentment from her, because her husband died and left her alone. She was very fortunate to have someone like Eli in her life. He was always there for whatever she needed, as I saw him becoming her best friend, I couldn't help but wonder if perhaps something more might develop. I couldn't help but wonder though if she would ever be able to let go of the past to embrace a future. There were several secondary characters that were quite interesting. The paranormal twist was really an added bonus for me, and I really thought the author did a great job of bringing it into perspective, while keeping a christian feel to the story. Overall a great read that weaves together a bit of romance along with a paranormal slant that made this book a page turner for me. I am never disappointed with anything that I read by Tracey Bateman and always look forward to where her imagination will take me next!

A complimentary copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  kittycrochettwo | Jul 27, 2013 |
Corrie is so hurt and wounded over her husband death. She doe not know now why she loss her husband. She spend her time at the Saunders Creek and she doe find a love but with who. Do she learn that their thing there but a demon that she need to get rid of.

Eli is there for some help on the house. Though he has feeling for Corrie. Doe he get his wish or not. You will need to read it to find out and make a decision for yourself. ( )
  Lindz2012 | Mar 6, 2013 |
Riveted! The word riveted means to hold someone or something so fast, that it is incapable of movement. The Widow of Saunders Creek is such a novel, for the reader and for the characters.
Corrie becomes a widow when her army husband, Jarrod, dies in action. She returns to Saunders Creek to the family house of Jarrod’s family. Eli, Jarrod’s cousin was previously employed to renovate the house into Corrie and Jarrod’s dream home. Corrie asks Eli, to finish the renovations. They become great friends.
In the beginning of the novel I thought the story was about ghosts and witches, I was not too thrilled. Great was my surprise when I continued reading.
Corrie grieves and she does not want to let go of Jarrod. Is she imagining things or is there more after death? There are family members that support her in this quest. It is up to Corrie, to make the decision what she believes. Will she follow the advice of Eli, a Christian man who lives his faith on a daily basis, or is she going to listen to his aunt?
The book explains in a beautiful storyline how our choices have results. The Widow of Saunders answers the question about life after death. Where does a person draw the line?
The way Psalm 23 is used in the Widow of Saunders Creek is what stood out for me the most. Each part of the book begins with relevant verses from Psalm 23 –God’s peace surpasses all understanding.
Tracy Bateman knows how to keep a reader spellbound (excuse the pun). She has a way with words, allowing a reader to read pages after pages, not wanting to miss a single word. The story itself keeps the reader also glued to the pages.
The Widow of Saunders Creek presents us with suspense, a love story, God’s grace and His power.
I highly recommend this book.
I received this eBook for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. ( )
  retha.groenewald.56 | Feb 11, 2013 |

A grief that knows no boundary.
A love without any limit.
A need that doesn’t end at death.

Corrie Saunders grew up in a life of privilege. But she gave it all up for Jarrod, her Army husband, a man she knew was a hero when she vowed to spend her life with him. She just didn’t expect her hero to sacrifice his life taking on an Iraqi suicide bomber.

Six months after Jarrod’s death, Corrie retreats to the family home her husband inherited deep in the Missouri Ozarks. She doesn’t know how to live without Jarrod—she doesn’t want to. By moving to Saunders Creek and living in a house beloved by him, she hopes that somehow her Jarrod will come back to her.

Something about the house suggests maybe he has. Corrie begins to wonder if she can feel Jarrod’s presence.

Jarrod’s cousin Eli is helping Corrie with the house’s restoration and he knows that his dead cousin is not what Corrie senses. Eli, as a believing man and at odds with his mystically-oriented family members, thinks friendly visits from beyond are hogwash.  But he takes spirits with dark intentions seriously. Can he convince Corrie that letting go of Jarrod will lead to finding her footing again— and to the One she can truly put her faith into?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:59 -0400)

"After her husband's heroic death in Iraq, Corrie Saunders moves into his family's 150-year-old home. Grieving and ready to bury herself in the house, she begins to experience strange occurrences which she attributes to her husband. She forms a friendship with Eli, her husband's cousin, who is doing the remodeling job. But Eli doesn't believe the entity is her husband. And the more Eli is around, the more malevolent occurrences become.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Widow of Saunders Creek by Tracey Bateman was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,462,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible