The Bride Wore Blue: A Novel (The Sinclair…

The Bride Wore Blue: A Novel (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek)

by Mona Hodgson

THE BRIDE WORE BLUE by Mona Hodgson is an interesting inspirational Americana historical romance set in Cripple Creek, Colorado. #3 in the "Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek" series,but can be read as a stand alone. See,"Two Brides Too Many" and "Too Rich For a Bride". Vivian is the youngest Sinclair sister with a secret. She feels no one will very love her. Everyone has left her behind including her beloved sisters and her father. What she finds is trouble with Deputy Carter Alwyn.Filled with danger,healing,faith,forgiveness, community and love. A wonderful conclusion to the "Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek" trilogy. Received for an honest review from the publisher. For more information visit the author's website,Waterbrook Press,and My Book Addiction and More.
RATING: 4
HEAT RATING: SWEET
REVIEWED BY: AprilR, My Book Addiction and More/My Book Addiction Reviews ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Dec 7, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received “The Bride Wore Blue,” by Mona Hodgson from the “Early Giveaway” program on Librarything.com. I didn’t read the first book in the Sinclair Sister Triology so I wasn’t able to get the beginning of Vivian’s story but I did read “Too Rich for A Bride” about when her sisters came to Cripple Creek. Having siblings who so effortlessly seem to make all the right choices even though she didn’t, made me only want her to succeed on her own even more. The lives of Kate, Ida, and Nell were interesting but dulled in comparrison to Vivian’s. After being humiliated by her beau and having her request to travel to Paris to be with her father rejected, Vivian carried with her a sense of low self worth. Coming to Colorado was not her idea of success. Vivian had to be able to show her sisters she was not coming to Cripple Creek to be “babysat” but to prove she was grown up. Vivian, being strong willed, wanted so much to prove herself capable and independent it just so happened that the way she achieved that got her into a lot of trouble. Her pride pushed her to refuse her sister's help in finding employment since this would only show she was indeed still the baby and needed looking after. By making the decision to hide her insecurities Vivian continued to move further and further away from the bond that her sisters wished to share with her. Hiding what she did from her sisters and even from the woman at the boarding house became easier with each lie. I totally enjoyed Vivian's story of struggles and adventures because I saw some of myself in her in my younger days of making fool hearty choices. She was Feisty, proud and stubborn and yet so venerable. I do wish that Vivian and Carter’s relationship would have developed slower allowing me to experience some happier moments for her. All in all I gave the book four stars out of five because I really did like the difference of the rebellious independent sister who brought excitement to Cripple Creek, turning everyone's life upside down. I think in the end they all realized that they didn’t know Vivian as well as they thought they did which taught them to pay a bit closer attention to what lies between the lines. ( )
  mookiekat | Nov 6, 2012 |
WaterBrook Press (Blogging for Books) recently sent me a copy of The Bride Wore Blue by Mona Hodgson to read and review. The Bride Wore Blue is a 288 page Christian romance novel. It also contains a Readers Guide as well as a preview of her upcoming book Twice a Bride, available in October 2012. It is the third book in The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek series. A while back, I read the first book in this series; Two Brides Too Many and really enjoyed it.

I enjoy Mona Hodgson’s writing style, but I don’t thing this book was quite up to her normal standards. I enjoyed the plot alright, it it was just that: alright. There was nothing really special about the book or the plot. The plot was very predictable and similar to other books I have read. I also felt the the book just dragged on and on and was very slow in the beginning. Then when the “action” finally took place, it was rushed through. I also found it really hard to believe that none of her sisters would have helped her more in finding a job or even offer her a job, especially when they are supposedly so close. The story was predictable and I feel that the relationship between Vivian and Carter was rushed and the chemistry just lacking between them. It just didn’t seem that their romance was well developed. Overall, I think Mona Hodgson writes well, but this book just didn’t work for me. I really wanted to like The Bride Wore Blue, but for me it fell flat.

NOTICE:
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this item free from the creator. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Susan.McNiel.Godfrey | Sep 18, 2012 |
I have now read all three of The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek stories to date. This third book in the series gives the reader an in-depth look at the "baby" of the family, Vivian. I felt like Vivian had been a typical spoiled baby sister, wanting her own way before she went to join her older sisters in Cripple Creek, and had learned some hard life lessons in a very difficult way. Though she seemed to be more mature and to have learned from the mistakes in her past, she seemed to continue to resent her older sister's influence in her life at times, and I think it led to her making more mistakes that could possibly been avoided if she would have just taken the time to talk with one or more of them.

This realistic sibling dynamic made the story much more enjoyable for me, as well as the estranged romance between Vivian and Deputy Alwyn. The overwhelming lesson of forgiveness, faith and acceptance is an integral part of the story from beginning to end. This heartwarming story is one that shows how forgiveness, love, and family loyalty can help overcome difficult circumstances. I also enjoyed the mystery and danger involved that gave the wild west type feel to this story that I really like.

This is a good christian fiction romance, with some wild west outlaws, soiled doves, train robbery and so much more excitement thrown in the mix. Although it can be read alone, I do recommend reading the first two books in the series first in order to get to know many of the other characters in this story.

**I received a copy of this book for review purposes only from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group through the Blogging for Books program. I was in no way required to write a positive review. All my reviews are my honest and personal opinion ( )
  Lovez2read | Sep 12, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The best parts of this book are the historical setting of Cripple Creek, Colorado, the fast-moving plot and variety of characters. It was not plausible that Vivian could not find a respectable job and had to work in a brothel despite having 3 married sisters who loved her. The honest lawman had a bigger than believable heart to marry a brothel hostess even if she was beautiful. (Gunsmoke?) If you are willing to suspend a great deal of disbelief, it is an interesting read. ( )
  EmmausLib | Sep 5, 2012 |

The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek—Book 3

Headed toward a fresh start but tethered by her past, Vivian longs to break free, to find forgiveness and love.

At last, the sisters are reunited! The youngest Sinclair, the family“ baby”, is moving from Maine to Cripple Creek, Colorado and joining Kat, Nell, and Ida. But Vivian is a young woman with a will of her own, and made some decisions back in Portland that have begun to haunt her. Will she be able to live up to the expectations of her three perfect and now happily-settled sisters?

The sisters warmly welcome Vivian to the mountain west, but the wild-and-woolly mining town isn’t ripe with opportunities for a respectable young woman. The youngest Sinclair sister is determined to make her own way, so
when she’s off ered a job as a hostess in a sporting house, she takes it, thinking the position is appropriate for a tainted, unlovable woman like herself. Although she’s convinced she’ll never be asked to entertain privately, Vivian
keeps her employment a secret from her sisters, knowing they’d be mortified—as will Carter Alwyn, the kind and godly sheriff ’s deputy who’s sweet on her.

Vivian is descending into a life of secrets, lying to the very people who love her and could help her heal from her mistakes. Will an outpouring of grace remind her that she is still God’s beloved and that her past can be washed as clean as Rocky Mountain snow?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:54 -0400)

Vivian Sinclair leaves Maine behind to move to Cripple Creek, Colorado, where her sisters live, but she finds it difficult to leave the mistakes of her past behind, especially when the only job that she can find is in a brothel.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Bride Wore Blue by Mona Hodgson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,399,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible