Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

By the Shores of Silver Lake (Little House…

By the Shores of Silver Lake (Little House (HarperTrophy)) (original 1939; edition 2007)

by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Author)

Member:eschaalman
Title:By the Shores of Silver Lake (Little House (HarperTrophy))
Authors:Laura Ingalls Wilder (Author)
Info:HarperChildrens (2007), 385 pages
Rating:*****

By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder (1939)

English (46)  French (1)  All languages (47)
Laura and her family are heading West. Laura and Pa are excited, though Ma is a bit hesitant, but Pa has promised they will find a homestead and settle down, and the girls can go to school.

This is such a great series! There were some beautiful descriptions of the Prairies (there were also some “extra” descriptions (of the prairie and other things) as Laura was Mary’s eyes, as Mary had recently gone blind after a bout with scarlet fever). I also really enjoyed the building of the town. You just don’t think about what it takes to start from scratch with no one else around and to watch a town be built from nothing! ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 19, 2019 |
I love this series!!! These are my favorites!!! ( )
  dbailey25 | Feb 24, 2019 |
Starts sad, especially for poor Mary. But there is a new Ingalls too, baby Grace! And a new direction in the writing, as I felt like this was the most descriptive book of the series yet! Maybe that was due to Mary's affliction, or maybe it was just the growth of the author. Either way, I liked it!

This book also finds the family on the movie, again. This time, they end up in the Dakotas. There's a lot of writing, and description of the railroad and the family's hunt for a homestead. And of course, just life itself, including another Christmas! I've written this before, but I am enjoying this series and I'm glad my daughter has shared this with me! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Mar 21, 2018 |
On the road again with the Ingalls family and we say goodbye to Plum Creek. Sadly, this time without my boy Jack. We are headed to the wilds of the Dakota Territories, friends. On a train! To claim a homestead and settle down, no matter how much Pa and Laura want to go to Oregon.

Pa heads to Dakota to work the railroad and be the payroll clerk, then Ma and the girls head out to meet them. The railroad men are filled with rough talk and violence, but Laura is fascinated with them as you would expect. Pa proves himself to be smart and brave, as usual, and then the railroad moves on to leave the Ingalls family alone in the Big Slough. After a cozy winter in the surveyor's house (what luck!) they stake a claim to their 40 acres and move into the claim shanty to win their bet with the government. Three stars, and onto the Long Winter! BRRR. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
Madame MBH just finished reading aloud to us By the Shores of Silver Lake, the fifth in the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. We've been enjoying reading these together, and have already ordered the sixth, The Long Winter.

In this one, the Ingalls again travel west, this time to Dakota territory. Pa works for the railroad near Silver Lake, while they look for an ideal homestead site. There is a new baby named Grace, and scarlet fever has temporarily afflicted the family, particularly Mary. The family lives for now in a railroad camp, with Pa as the company store manager and payroll manager (which makes things dicey on occasion), while Ma ends up running the equivalent of a hotel and restaurant for those coming west seeking their own homesteads. The wild, unsettled country is beautifully described, as always in this series.

“… and Laura let her sunbonnet slip down her back so that she could feel the wind on her face and see the whole great prairie.”

"Supper was cooked and eaten, the dishes washed, and darkness was falling on the prairie. No one wanted the lamp lighted, the spring night was so beautiful.”

“Down the slope of the little hill…patches of wild crocus spread yellow and blue in the young grass….”

These stories capture a remarkable time in this country's history, when it was filled with open land, as well as both danger and untrammeled beauty. It is striking how things we'd likely take for granted make the Ingalls so happy - a well-made, delicious meal, modest gifts like a new handkerchief, or just thawing out by the fireplace. Everyone old enough works, and every pleasure is hard-won. Wolves, the elements, hard-nosed railway workers, all pose their dangers, but the Ingalls' days also reflect great joy, as they create a comfortable home and organize how to sustain themselves.

We're looking forward to the next one. ( )
  jnwelch | Jun 24, 2017 |

Laura Ingalls Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, CherryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, GarthIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laura was washing the dishes one morning when old Jack, lying in the sunshine on hthe doorstep, growled to tell her that someone was coming.

The adventures of Laura Ingalls and her family continue as they move from their little house on the banks of Plum Creek to the wilderness of the unsettled Dakota Territory. Here Pa works on the new railroad until he finds a homestead claim that is perfect for their new little house. Laura takes her first train ride as she, her sisters, and their mother come out to live with Pa on the shores of Silver Lake. After a lonely winter in the surveyors' house, Pa puts up the first building in what will soon be a brand-new town on the beautiful shores of Silver Lake. The Ingallses' covered-wagon travels are finally over.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:33 -0400)

Ma and the girls follow Pa west by train where they make their home at a rough railroad camp and plan for their own homestead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,505,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible