Carrie (1974)

by Stephen King

In one way or another, everybody abused Carrie. Her fanatical mother forbade this sixteen-year-old misfit everything that was young and fun. She was teased and taunted by her classmates, misunderstood by her teachers, and given up as hopeless by almost everyone. But Carrie had a secret: she posessed terrifying telekinetic powers that could make inanimate objects move, a lighted candle fall, or a door lock. Carrie could make all kinds of startling bizarre, and malevolent things happen. And so she did one night, when feeling scorned and humiliated, and growing angrier and angrier, she became the vengeful demon who let the whole town feel her power.… (more)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: Carrie White has much in common with Jackson's shy, bullied heroine Eleanor Vance.
    Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like tortured pyrokinetics with tragic endings, and don't mind radical changes in mood and style ... try Stephen King's Carrie for the horror take, and Mercedes Lackey's Brightly Burning for the fantasy take.
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (TomWaitsTables)

English (237)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Romanian (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (249)
I read this book multiple times in junior high and high school, so I can't list all the read dates, but I plan on re-reading it again. ( )
  Rellwood74 | Feb 18, 2021 |
As much as I loved Stephen King as a kid, I've been hesitant to revisit him as an adult. For lack of a better explanation, he's an author who's sold at airports, and I subconsciously have been too pretentious for that. I finally decided that I'm too old to be elitist without really knowing why, and I'm glad I did.

God, I love this book. It's surprisingly detailed for a first novel written by someone in his twenties. The shifts from traditional third-person narration to fucked up stream-of-conscious thought made me want to puke. The excerpts of fictional books within the book are genius, and do a great job of giving you just enough information of what's going to happen later while still leaving you with some suspense (though at this point, I can't imagine anyone being so far removed from pop culture that they wouldn't know). ( )
  jasonrkron | Jan 15, 2021 |
Carrie is a fascinating story about the dark power of female adolescence and bullying. Stephen King tells a great story, though the writing is not great at all. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
A fast read. Stephen King can certainly string sentences together so that the story flows very quickly. No trouble getting into or finishing this story. The story is definitely dated a bit with some racist imagery that probably was seen as more acceptable in 1974. As is almost always the case, the novel is better than the movie (but I still enjoyed the movie). ( )
  drew_asson | Dec 3, 2020 |
Classic horror novel for an independent read ( )
  NJecmenek | Nov 12, 2020 |

Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spacek, SissyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuart, NeilCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlastelica, GregorioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Tabby, who got me into it—and then bailed me out of it.
News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: RAIN OF STONES REPORTED
Sometimes, like now, the ivy looked like a grotesque giant hand ridged with great veins which had sprung up out of the ground to grip the building. She approached it with dragging feet.
She wished forlornly and constantly that Ewan High had individual - and thus private - showers like the ones at Andover or Boxford. They stared. They always stared.
Jesus watches from the wall, but his face is cold as stone. And if he loves me - as she tells me - why do I feel so all alone?
Your pimples are the Lord's way of chastising you.
"Red," Momma murmured. "I might have known it would be red."

Stephen King's first published novel is a fantastic story for those curious high school readers and adults alike looking for a chill.  Young Carrie is an aloof girl with an overbearing mother, who ultimately turns the tables on those who poke fun at her with her telekinetic powers.  For those who may be reluctant readers, you can always tell kids that Stephen King always pushes the limits in scarring the wits out of you.  Here is the trailer to the acclaimed 1976 film adaptation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iV...
The mean girls tease her.
Uh-oh. Shouldn’t have picked on
Someone who’s psychic.
(Carnophile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,572,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible