Carrie by Stephen King

Title:Carrie
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Doubleday (1974), Edition: Book Club (BCE/BOMC), Hardcover, 199 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:own, ebook, telekinesis, high school, horror

Carrie by Stephen King

Firestarter by Stephen King (shesinplainview)
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King (sturlington)
    Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey (lquilter)
    lquilter: If you like tortured pyrokinetics with tragic endings, and don't mind radical changes in mood and style ... try Stephen King's Carrie for the horror take, and Mercedes Lackey's Brightly Burning for the fantasy take.
    The Omen by David Seltzer (shesinplainview)
    Matilda by Roald Dahl (TomWaitsTables)

English (166)  French (3)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Romanian (1)  German (1)  All languages (175)
Carrie by Stephen King (8/9/15)

I may be the very last reader in America, in the world even, to read Stephen King's first novel, [Carrie], this despite being one of the first few thousand to possess the book.

The plot is surely known to all; it was to me though I hadn't read the book (nor seen either of the film versions). Carrie White, 16, is the daughter of a widow obsessed with her wretched, extreme, pathological concept of sin and its consequences. Carrie is a virtual recluse, an outsider excluded from the social life at the high school she attends. She's the butt of every prank, joke, and jibe. Naturally, she's ignorant of sex and reproduction, and it's this ignorance that upends everything. Despite her privations, she's gifted with telekinetic powers, meaning she can move objects by thinking about moving the objects.

King frames the tale as a scientific report, with genetic mumbo-jumbo, citations from research papers, and testimony given before a government committee investigating the catastrophe triggered by high school social politics. He keeps the action moving; you know the denouement is going to be spectacular and bloody, with a high body count. And of course it is.

As you may know, King was teaching at a high school in Maine when Carrie was written. Frustrated by what he saw as his manuscript's shortcomings, he tossed it. His wife retrieved it and coaxed him to complete it. Doubleday accepted the book, paying King a $2,500 advance for the hardcover edition it published in 1974.

In April 1975, Signet published Carrie in mass-market paperback, releasing it with great hoopla during the American Bookseller's Convention in NYC. That's where I picked up my free copy; it is the copy I just read.
  weird_O | Aug 10, 2015 |
This is a book that can be read more than once and never gets old. ( )
  nevans1972 | Aug 6, 2015 |
This is a book that can be read more than once and never gets old. ( )
  nevans1972 | Aug 6, 2015 |
GREAT, SHOWS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PISS=OFF A SHY NERD. I'M WRITING THIS NOW IN 2015 SO I DON'T REMEMBER ALOT OF THE DETAILS. NOW I LOOK BACK AND THE BOOK SORT OF TELLS THE FUTURE IN A STRANGE WAY, NOT ABOUT HER POWERS BUT THE WAY PEOPLE TREAT HER. IN TODAY'S WORLD PEOPLE TREAT EACH OTHER THAT WAY NO MATTER WHAT. ( )
  Aleahmom | Jul 28, 2015 |
Great read! Carrie White is just a tragic figure. Bullied and belittled. And then - well the girl gets powers and then the girl gets revenge! It was really hard to feel anything but empathy for her, even when she goes insane. Especially with her horrible mother, one of the worst parents in literature of all time! I also like the way King interspersed other "first source" material throughout the story. Even though it gives away the ending, it does nothing to take away from the tale! But my overwhelming thought at the end was poor, poor Carrie... ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jul 12, 2015 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saarikoski, TuulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Tabby, who got me into it—and then bailed me out of it.
News item from the Westover (Me.) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: RAIN OF STONES REPORTED
Sometimes, like now, the ivy looked like a grotesque giant hand ridged with great veins which had sprung up out of the ground to grip the building. She approached it with dragging feet.
She wished forlornly and constantly that Ewan High had individual - and thus private - showers like the ones at Andover or Boxford. They stared. They always stared.
Jesus watches from the wall, but his face is cold as stone. And if he loves me - as she tells me - why do I feel so all alone?
Your pimples are the Lord's way of chastising you.
"Red," Momma murmured. "I might have known it would be red."

Stephen King's first published novel is a fantastic story for those curious high school readers and adults alike looking for a chill.  Young Carrie is an aloof girl with an overbearing mother, who ultimately turns the tables on those who poke fun at her with her telekinetic powers.  For those who may be reluctant readers, you can always tell kids that Stephen King always pushes the limits in scarring the wits out of you.  Here is the trailer to the acclaimed 1976 film adaptation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJe0iV...
The mean girls tease her.
Uh-oh. Shouldn’t have picked on
Someone who’s psychic.
(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671039725, Mass Market Paperback)

Why read Carrie? Stephen King himself has said that he finds his early work "raw," and Brian De Palma's movie was so successful that we feel as if we have read the novel even if we never have. The simple answer is that this is a very scary story, one that works as well, if not better, on the page as it does on the screen. Carrie White, bullied by cruel teenagers at school and her religious nut of a mother at home, gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers, powers that will eventually be turned on her tormentors. King has a way of getting under the skin of his readers by creating an utterly believable world that throbs with menace before finally exploding. He builds the tension in this early work by piecing together extracts from newspaper reports, journals, and scientific papers, as well as more traditional first- and third-person narrative in order to reveal what lurks beneath the surface of Chamberlain, Maine.
News item from the Westover (ME) weekly Enterprise, August 19, 1966: "Rain of Stones Reported: It was reliably reported by several persons that a rain of stones fell from a clear blue sky on Carlin Street in the town of Chamberlain on August 17th."
Although the supernatural pyrotechnics are handled with King's customary aplomb, it is the carefully drawn portrait of the little horrors of small towns, high schools, and adolescent sexuality that give this novel its power and assures its place in the King canon. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:36 -0400)

A modern classic, Carrie introduced a distinctive new voice in American fiction -- Stephen King. The story of misunderstood high school girl Carrie White, her extraordinary telekinetic powers, and her violent rampage of revenge, remains one of the most barrier-breaking and shocking novels of all time. Make a date with terror and live the nightmare that is - Carrie.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,038,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible